[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
19-04-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Devout Catholics Nailed To Crosses in reenactments
(18-04-2014 08:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  "Fantastic..... " Facepalm

Consider
If you want to do it right, you might want to stay staked up there for a couple days!
Just sayin Drinking Beverage

Um don't forget the little bit about evisceration....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
19-04-2014, 11:45 AM
(19-04-2014 10:41 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes! get to use my favorite picture of all time

[Image: dafuq_503716.jpg]

Here's one of mine

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-04-2014, 11:50 AM
(18-04-2014 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  At least they're not doing this.

[Image: Corbis-U1396194.jpg?size=67&uid=...cd402e37ab]

You have to give that guy some credit. He immolated himself to protest the Vietnam war. So here you have a religious 'extremist' who is killing someone as an act of protest, and the person he kills is himself. He didn't bomb a tube station, a bus, a school; or hijack an airplane. He didn't do this for the endorphin high of being closer to god or for the adoration and respect of his fellow believers. He had a conviction so strong that he thought it was worth dying for, and he did so in such a way as to not harm anyone else. Whatever else may have motivated him, whatever other delusions he bought into; in the end he harmed no one but himself, and he do so in an effort to help others.

I wish they were all so considerate.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Just think what the Romans could have done with this.....

[Image: 501000.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
19-04-2014, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2014 12:18 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(19-04-2014 11:50 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-04-2014 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  At least they're not doing this.

[Image: Corbis-U1396194.jpg?size=67&uid=...cd402e37ab]

You have to give that guy some credit. He immolated himself to protest the Vietnam war. So here you have a religious 'extremist' who is killing someone as an act of protest, and the person he kills is himself. He didn't bomb a tube station, a bus, a school; or hijack an airplane. He didn't do this for the endorphin high of being closer to god or for the adoration and respect of his fellow believers. He had a conviction so strong that he thought it was worth dying for, and he did so in such a way as to not harm anyone else. Whatever else may have motivated him, whatever other delusions he bought into; in the end he harmed no one but himself, and he do so in an effort to help others.

I wish they were all so considerate.

I think you are referring to Quang Duc (but this is not him, though).

Aut actually, Quang Duc committed suicide to protest the persecution of Buddhists by the Diem government (Diem was a catholic -- go figure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADch_Qu%E1%BA%A3ng_%C4%90%E1%BB%A9c

Thích Quảng Đức[1] (1897 – 11 June 1963, born Lâm Văn Túc), was a Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist monk who burned himself to death at a busy Saigon road intersection on 11 June 1963.[2] Quang Duc was protesting the persecution of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese government led by Ngô Đình Diệm.

It was not at all a very "Buddhist" thing to do, by the way.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
19-04-2014, 12:24 PM
(18-04-2014 07:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  http://www.hngn.com/articles/29204/20140...photos.htm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/18...73257.html

Sweet loving mother of Zeus! These are actual crucifixions! Some dumb fuck has done it 28 times. FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

"It's a personal matter between me and (God)," he said, with his finger pointing up. After being helped down from the cross, he said of his experience: "Fantastic, you should try it."

Points given for commitment = 100
Points deducted for stupidity = 100
Net points = 0
I think I've seen this before. It's unbelievably sad that people would subject themselves to this when in reality it's only a fable.

But, even from their perspective, Jesus' death already took care of everything. I guess they didn't get the memo. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
19-04-2014, 12:33 PM
(19-04-2014 10:11 AM)nach_in Wrote:  huevos* muy grandes* (the H is silent) Drinking Beverage

No, I meant his thursday is really big.

Unsure

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-04-2014, 12:35 PM
(18-04-2014 08:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(18-04-2014 08:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  "Fantastic..... " Facepalm

Consider
If you want to do it right, you might want to stay staked up there for a couple days!
Just sayin Drinking Beverage

Yup, plus set the feet support at the proper angle and not perpendicular to the cross.
And actually die. What are they afraid of? With such devotion, they should be guaranteed a "go directly to heaven" card. If not, it must be from the lack of genuine faith. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
19-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Pretty stupid yes but I don't really care. They're only hurting themselves. I'm ok with that.