Devout Christian to Atheist Bastard: My Journey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 10:23 PM by Diogenes of Mayberry.)
Devout Christian to Atheist Bastard: My Journey
At the suggestion of Atothetheist, I am posting the link to my first post for Jesus, American Style, a site that has asked me to start blogging for them.

It describes my journey to atheism, which, I suspect, probably shares a number of similarities with many of you here.

Quote:. . . members of the forum started to accuse me of hating Christianity, because, obviously, I must have had such a negative experience with religion at my church. This argument was not only a pathetic and sad attempt to justify, in their minds, how a devout Christian could have turned into such a rabid mouthpiece against religion, but totally wrong. . . . The other extremely lame retort I received frequently from these Christians, was that I must not have been a real Christian. My teenage 'born again' moment must, again, obviously to them, have been false, for no real Christian would back-slide as far I did. Yeah, whatever.

https://jesusamericanstyle.com/index.php...st-bastard Evil_monster

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
26-09-2012, 10:00 PM
RE: Devout Christian to Atheist Bastard: My Journey
Sounds like you got a serious dose of standard Christian bullying and ignorance. They are a deluded bunch.

If you thought the creationist message, which is not even fit to be printed on low grade toilet paper, is bad enough...try this for size. I have come across a few Christians who claim America is God's chosen nation, but don't ask them where one can find that in their Bible or they'll get all worked up and accuse you of treason and lack of patriotism. I once even had one tell me that English was God's language.

If they are that dumb, do you think arguing about science with them will get you anywhere? Obviously they do not read their Bibles, because atheists know more about the Bible than your average Christian. Which means that even if you recommend them a science book, you will be wasting your time. I doubt some of them even know how to turn the page on a book (as evidenced by the lack of knowledge in the book they profess to believe in with all their hearts.)

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
26-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Quite scary, ain't it Ozzie? Living in Kansas was quite an experience for me. I once had an evangelical coworker asked me what I thought of the Bible. I still remember not my answer, but his response.

"I think it is a work of fiction, written by superstitious men 3000 years ago to control people."

He inched away from me, so he wouldn't be struck by the impending lightning bolt. This guy was also an engineer, scientifically educated, and yet, a young Earth creationist. One who used that evangelical cliche about fossil evidence, "God just put that there to test our faith." That was the first time I ever heard that, and I wanted to effin slap him.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Thank you for sharing. It's amazing how many times one can be made to feel like they are carrying a disease the way Christians react to a simple answer of a question. It used to be love thy neibour and be a good Samaritan. Now it seems like the theme is 'we are in a spiritual war, hold your positions'.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
27-09-2012, 12:28 AM
I like your way of putting things LJ, but I must say, it adds a sport to it, and the reactions can be quite humorous, I saw one person physically from a question I asked once.

And besides, any enemy hold digs in and holds position too tightly is prone to being flanked and eviscerated from the rear and sides before they can react.
It is rewarding to get past ideological/religious/whatever belief-walls and eviscerate their beliefs before they are truly aware you are that close to begin with.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.