Dexter on Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 10:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
Dexter on Faith
Season 6 premier starts to ask "What happens when a serial killer serial killer encounters religion?" Goddam I love this show.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-10-2011, 07:12 AM
RE: Dexter on Faith
That show is awesome. The writing go a lot better by this point as well. The season with John Lithgow (the season you are on now I believe) is awesome. Lithgow does an amazing job this season.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
04-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Another Dexter fan here. Agree completely: awesome show.

We recently finished Season 5 on DVD. We have friends come over to watch three or four episodes at a time. Dexter has become a verb with us: "So when do we next Dexter?"

Season 4 was the one with John Lithgow. It'll be a long wait for 6 on DVD. Sad

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
04-10-2011, 10:07 AM
(04-10-2011 09:26 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Another Dexter fan here. Agree completely: awesome show.

We recently finished Season 5 on DVD. We have friends come over to watch three or four episodes at a time. Dexter has become a verb with us: "So when do we next Dexter?"

Season 4 was the one with John Lithgow. It'll be a long wait for 6 on DVD. Sad

Ahhh. Right. I loved that season. Season 5 was good too. Some good twists at the end of 4 leading into 5. Season 6....still a year away (on DVD). Makes me very sad.

I suppose I should address the OP's original post as well. Faith and Dexter. I have watched each season trying to examine what each character believes and how it affects them. I don't think any of the characters are atheist per se but Dexter is rather unique among his fellow characters. He splits himself into multiple persons and his "dark passenger" is the guiding hand in all of them. He can resist but for the most part he takes great pleasure in satisfying this portion of himself. I think Dexter would call this portion of himself his own personal god. Obviously not in the sense that it is omnipotent or a physical being or even that it created him( but he and circumstances around his childhood created it). It is a god to him in the sense that it guides him in a direction that is in direct conflict with other aspects of society. I suppose Dexter believes in some sort of god outside of his dark passenger, but not any of the traditional anthropomorphized gods. Almost everyone else seems to be christian of some sort and some are obviously catholic.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
04-10-2011, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 01:16 PM by TheSixthGlass.)
I was thinking of you all when I finally got around to watching the premier episode last night (I'm also a big fan, though I just watched seasons 3-5 in the last 3 weeks or so in order to be caught up for S6).

*minor spoilers*

Honestly, I was mildly irritated at first during the preschool interview scene - it seemed to present the common "atheists don't believe in anything" mantra. I consider Dexter to be an atheist, though he may not self-identify with that label. Deb's follow up of "do you really mean that? You don't believe in anything?" added to it, and then I found myself wondering if I really liked the only apparent non-believer to be a serial killer (albeit a lovable one, hee hee). They redeemed themselves during the scene in which Dex asks Batista to explain religion to him, and Batista is left hemming and hawing and finally stammering out something about it all being about faith. Dexter answers to himself that "because it doesn't make sense." Then of course the scene with the kill room, which I won't spoil, was fantastic.

Overall they did a good job of presenting religion without giving too much credence one way or the other. I was disappointed with Dex's decision about the school, but it's not the first time he's made a decision to blend in, and he apparently thinks it best for his son - though some things during this season might change his mind (that's where I hope they're going with that, anyway).

edit: after thinking it over, I think in the end they actually did present a fairly accurate portrayal of religion, but overall the underlying vibe was deliciously anti-theistic. At the very least, if there is a god in this universe (meaning Dexter's), he doesn't intervene much if at all.

*end minor spoilers*

Was it just me, or was that one of the funniest and most light-hearted episodes of the series?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
04-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm purposefully not reading anything other than the first post in this thread to avoid spoilers. I was recently forced to watch this show by a friend of mine after years of avoiding it because it was fairly popular. I usually dislike popular television shows because they are either made for people who have never even heard of books, or are so drenched with legal drama sauce that I get bored and crave matlock.
I went from being like "well this show isn't too bad, guess I'll watch another episode" to "my god how many have I just sat through? I think I went into a pleasure coma." I have yet to even watch season two and I think I'm an addict.
I want to read the books, I want the paraphernalia as well. They have coasters that come in a case like what he keeps his blood in. And a shower curtain with blood on it, though I hear the psycho curtain is better and comes with a bloody footstain mat too.
I love the dexter character, in some ways he reminds me of myself, and my friend who recommended it to me( I can see why now). I sometimes worry that I agree with a lot of the things he says, but then who cares the show is great. Besides even hitler had some good points. Like his moustache.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2011, 09:28 AM
(04-10-2011 07:14 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I'm purposefully not reading anything other than the first post in this thread to avoid spoilers. I was recently forced to watch this show by a friend of mine after years of avoiding it because it was fairly popular. I usually dislike popular television shows because they are either made for people who have never even heard of books, or are so drenched with legal drama sauce that I get bored and crave matlock.
I went from being like "well this show isn't too bad, guess I'll watch another episode" to "my god how many have I just sat through? I think I went into a pleasure coma." I have yet to even watch season two and I think I'm an addict.
I want to read the books, I want the paraphernalia as well. They have coasters that come in a case like what he keeps his blood in. And a shower curtain with blood on it, though I hear the psycho curtain is better and comes with a bloody footstain mat too.
I love the dexter character, in some ways he reminds me of myself, and my friend who recommended it to me( I can see why now). I sometimes worry that I agree with a lot of the things he says, but then who cares the show is great. Besides even hitler had some good points. Like his moustache.

lol. Season 1 is good. It hits its stride about halfway through, which is why the later seasons are preferable to me. They tend to have better writing towards the end. I get the feeling that season 1 very closely followed the novels and that meant that the last few episodes equal the last few chapters, and by that point in those novels you know all of the twists but you are waiting to see how it ends. The other seasons tend to do a better job of extending the drama throughout.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
From what I understand, the first season does indeed follow the first novel pretty closely, but after that, the show and the novels are more or less unrelated - kind of like two alternate realities. I think at the time of season 1, only the first book had been written. Also I've heard that in the novels, Dexter's "Dark Passenger" is treated in a much more semi-supernatural manner, as opposed to the more clinical/psychological angle we usually get in the series. I do plan on reading at least some of the books at some point, but since they're mostly unrelated I'm not in a big hurry. It's not as if one will spoil the other.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
25-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Okay, after 3 episodes the theme has crystallized into "What happens when a serial killer serial killer encounters a serial killer man of god?" Only 3 episodes in and the season is already batshit insane.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.