Dexter's Back.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2012, 03:50 AM
RE: Dexter's Back.
(13-10-2012 03:48 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-10-2012 03:46 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Do you only like realistic happy shows about friendship and love? Tongue

Where, in anything did I say, can you gather this? Did I say I don't like it because of the violence?

It was a joke, friendo. Lighten le funk up and don't take stuff so seriously. Smile

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2012, 03:53 AM
(13-10-2012 03:50 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(13-10-2012 03:48 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Where, in anything did I say, can you gather this? Did I say I don't like it because of the violence?

It was a joke, friendo. Lighten le funk up and don't take stuff so seriously. Smile

Then make it clear next time.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
13-10-2012, 04:00 AM
Nah, I'll just carry on being mysterious.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
13-10-2012, 07:04 AM
(13-10-2012 04:00 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Nah, I'll just carry on being mysterious.

Then don't tell me to chill out.

Poonjab
13-10-2012, 08:40 AM
If you don't like the show that's fine. There are a lot of shows I don't care for. Most of them actually. I rarely watch tv. I prefer movies for my sit and stare entertainment generally.

However I'd like to point out that no one said Dexter was killing righteously. Sure he believes himself to be doing the world a favor (and in his way he probably is) but it's shown throughout the series that what he is doing IS wrong. It, for me at least, started out more as a character study of a sociopath. It sort of devolved into more of a random event generator over the course of the series, but the original episodes seemed more centered on his mental issues, with the serial killing as a side thing.

Now I guess the Dexter character has become popular for different reasons then why I originally liked him (he reminded me of someone) and the writers have spent more time gloryfying his killing then digging into his psychosis.

I can see why the character and his exploits would be off putting to some, though I enjoy watching character evolution and the interactions of fucked up people with regular people, more than anything else I can think of.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
13-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Dexter's Back.
So that's also pretty much why you like this forum. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-10-2012, 10:44 AM
(13-10-2012 08:40 AM)lucradis Wrote:  If you don't like the show that's fine. There are a lot of shows I don't care for. Most of them actually. I rarely watch tv. I prefer movies for my sit and stare entertainment generally.

However I'd like to point out that no one said Dexter was killing righteously. Sure he believes himself to be doing the world a favor (and in his way he probably is) but it's shown throughout the series that what he is doing IS wrong. It, for me at least, started out more as a character study of a sociopath. It sort of devolved into more of a random event generator over the course of the series, but the original episodes seemed more centered on his mental issues, with the serial killing as a side thing.

Now I guess the Dexter character has become popular for different reasons then why I originally liked him (he reminded me of someone) and the writers have spent more time gloryfying his killing then digging into his psychosis.

I can see why the character and his exploits would be off putting to some, though I enjoy watching character evolution and the interactions of fucked up people with regular people, more than anything else I can think of.

Sociopaths and psychopaths don't have an idea of what's right. That's what the condition is.

Poonjab
13-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Actually you're enitirely wrong. They understand what right and wrong is. They can learn just like everyone else. They just don't understand entirely why. And don't usually care. How do I know this? I have a freind who I've known nearly my entire life who is very much so a sociopath.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
13-10-2012, 04:54 PM
They are born without an INNATE sense of right an wrong, but Luc is right in the fact that they can be taught.

I usually think Dexter can be justified in what he does, but he has to do it correctly, and without any errors which, in the show, is repeatedly shown that he is not always correct.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
13-10-2012, 05:07 PM
ICD-10

1. Callous unconcern for the feelings of others.
2. Gross and persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social norms, rules, and obligations.
3. Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships, though having no difficulty in establishing them.
4. Very low tolerance to frustration and a low threshold for discharge of aggression, including violence.
5. Incapacity to experience guilt or to profit from experience, particularly punishment.
6. Markedly prone to blame others or to offer plausible rationalizations for the behavior that has brought the person into conflict with society.

DSM-IV-TR

1. failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
2. deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
3. impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead;
4. irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
5. reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
6. consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
7. lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;

Neither type comprehend empathy, the basic pillar for social morality. They can replicate it in order to obtain whatever they want, but they do not display a personal morality.

Poonjab