Dexter strikes South Africa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Dexter strikes South Africa
"South Africa has been hit by one of the biggest cyber-fraud attacks in its history, according to the body that oversees local financial transactions.
The payment card systems of thousands of shops, restaurants and hotels had been compromised, said the Payment Association of South Africa (PASA).
Losses were thought to be in the "tens of millions, but not hundreds of millions of rands", it said.
It added the attackers had used a new variant of the malware known as Dexter."

[Image: skype39.gif]

"However, Pasa stressed that it would ultimately be the banks - rather than the public or other businesses - that would face losses as a consequence of the attack."

Oh well...

And this is how it works... Not that I'm suggesting anything Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2013, 02:51 PM
RE: Dexter strikes South Africa
This is why I have a separate account with a debit card just for online purchases. I go pick what I want to buy, then put the proper amount of money into that account, then purchase. There is money in that account for less than a minute. The card number is no earthly good to anyone.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-10-2013, 04:37 PM
(16-10-2013 02:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  This is why I have a separate account with a debit card just for online purchases. I go pick what I want to buy, then put the proper amount of money into that account, then purchase. There is money in that account for less than a minute. The card number is no earthly good to anyone.

And I recently had money stolen from my room (by a crackhead ranger... no, wait, I think he was using heroine... anyhoo); a room I never locked (of course) and in which I would leave my money lying around... wasn't even sure how much I'd had stolen... or that it was stolen in the first place... I kinda never expect stuff like this to happen. In my defence (and that of most people) - it nearly never does. I plan on thinking about what happened as the exception that proves the rule. Big Grin

(And! They did reimburse us when they found out.)

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Yabbut so far my credit cards have been fraudulently used three times. Each time the bank called me to ask about it and they took care of it and sent me new cards.
So, no harm done, except that I had to wait for a new card and then change a bunch of things (automated payments).

So I decided to put a stop to this.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Oh, you're definitely being wiser than me, Dom. Hey, I never even count my change when paying cash. I know it's high time I stopped acting as if others and the world were the way I am and will treat me the way I treat them... but it's not easy.

Also, I do think most people are actually inherently honest (I know we had a lecture in my semantics class at uni where we talked about in how it was the natural urge or something for humans to tell a truth instead of a lie and a couple other similar things. Can't really recall it very well (or at all), but it was basically about how humans are - generally - speaking, inherently moral... or something like this... Ah, that was such a long time ago...)

Of course, I'm talking relatively small amounts of money here... Well, not that small, but still...

And it helps that I keep all my moneyz thusly Big Grin

[Image: 6a00e009865ae588330163041d3ac7970d.jpg]

16-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Dodgy

Fuck. What's the point of this cashless fucking society if these assholes can just nick it all easier ? I hate this kinda shit. I guess I'll go look at my accounts now...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-10-2013, 05:32 PM
(16-10-2013 05:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  Fuck. What's the point of this cashless fucking society if these assholes can just nick it all easier ? I hate this kinda shit. I guess I'll go look at my accounts now...

Don't you mean you'd go if you had any money in them? Drinking Beverage

16-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Did Nigeria get hit yet? Because I have so many nigerian prince scam memes at my disposal.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell