Diabetic coma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Diabetic coma
My mother in law came here from the UK a month ago. She was suffering from Lewy body disease and was hallucinating and had become a danger to herself so my sister in law insisted she come out here as there are six of us here and only her and her husband back home and they both work. We organized an apartment but our daughter convinced her to put her in a house near them, the other side of town. I said that this would result in her wandering into a field, falling and dying.

After 10 days she fell within a yard of the house and fractured her shoulder. She was in hospital for a week, recovering, and then brought to our home and left, unconscious, in our spare room bed. She slept for two days and then started to come around. She is diabetic. On Saturday she was trying to get out of bed, talking and eating. She was weaker on Sunday and on Monday morning she was unconscious, not responding, so we called doctor and got blood tests. The doctor initially said it was likely to be the Lewy body/Alzheimers and that sufferers die very quickly when they do go.

Turns out she had a blood sugar reading of 495 and was in a diabetic coma. We got her to hospital and this am her B/S was at 200 and she moaned a bit and her eyebrows and face twitched in response to stimulus.

I wonder how long it takes to come out of a coma or whether she is now brain damaged??

My wife and her mother have had an awful relationship for many years and the old lady turned the whole family against my wife after my wife had a stroke, heart surgery and a divorce from her previous serial adulterer of a husband and descended into alcoholism in her 30s. The children went to live with the MIL until they finished school and went off to university. They were turned against their mother, which has caused years of anguish despite my wife recovering from alcoholism several years ago. As much as my wife tried to regain the love and support of her own mother, so the mother would throw her illness back in her face, as did my wife's daughters, who seem unable to forgive her and move on.

On Sunday the MIL thanked my wife for having her here. That was the last thing she said. She's 82 and is in otherwise good health. We don't know whether we are hanging on to a sliver of hope or whether she will come round from this and have many years left or whether we should just reconcile ourselves to the inevitable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deltabravo's post
09-05-2017, 01:52 PM
RE: Diabetic coma
(09-05-2017 01:14 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  We don't know whether we are hanging on to a sliver of hope or whether she will come round from this and have many years left or whether we should just reconcile ourselves to the inevitable.

It sounds to me like she will be gone soon. My mother-in-law had a few lucid moments not long before she died, but she was also obviously falling apart.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply