Did Abe Lincoln really exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 01:23 PM
RE: Did Abe Lincoln really exist?
I am certain he most likely wasn't anywhere near like the built up myth we're left with - if he existed at all.

That can be said about anyone. In about 200 years, someone can say it about you.

I'm with HoC...
Now is where it's at! Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah, crazy Mary Todd Lincoln was a figment also, and all the people that talked about them, and interacted with them. She had her kids and grand kids, and they form a line of figments. Of course the DNA that links them all is also a figment, as are the photographs. Jefferson Davis was just playing a game, and thought Lincoln didn't really exist either. He just was bored, and had nothing better to do. Weeping
http://www.daily-jeff.com/local%20news/2...-president

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
31-05-2013, 01:34 PM
What the actual fuck? You're telling me this isn't a thread started by i&i
Hm. Go figure. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-05-2013, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 02:27 PM by germanyt.)
(31-05-2013 12:41 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Seems like Christians parodying atheists who claim that there isn't enough evidence to substantiate the existence of Jesus. I don't think the parody works very well, they might have better luck with trying their hand at someone like Alexander or something, I don't know, but this attempt to undermine they disbelief in Jesus of Nazareth really sucks. For the record though, I think that there probably was once a man names Jesus who preached who knows what and was killed for being a political threat. I have little doubt that Lincoln existed...I guess the same goes for Alexander, but Lincoln is a particularly poor choice as we have plenty of records as well as images and personal effects to include a death-mask to back up the existence of Lincoln. His importance or decisions may be called into question, but he did exist.

Actually the difference is that Lincoln never claimed to walk or water or be the son of God. And there would be no question of Yeshua ben Yosef's existence if he also had not claimed these things.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
31-05-2013, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 07:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(31-05-2013 02:16 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(31-05-2013 12:41 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Seems like Christians parodying atheists who claim that there isn't enough evidence to substantiate the existence of Jesus. I don't think the parody works very well, they might have better luck with trying their hand at someone like Alexander or something, I don't know, but this attempt to undermine they disbelief in Jesus of Nazareth really sucks. For the record though, I think that there probably was once a man names Jesus who preached who knows what and was killed for being a political threat. I have little doubt that Lincoln existed...I guess the same goes for Alexander, but Lincoln is a particularly poor choice as we have plenty of records as well as images and personal effects to include a death-mask to back up the existence of Lincoln. His importance or decisions may be called into question, but he did exist.

Actually the difference is that Lincoln never claimed to walk or water or be the son of God. And there would be no question of Yeshua ben Yosef's existence if he also had not claimed these things.

Actually Jebus never claimed to be god's son. That phrase had a different meaning in those days. The term was a general title for many righteous people .. generals, politicians, heroes. They were not saying they actually thought he had "divine" filial status equal to Yahweh, which would have been unthinkable, for monotheists. The "claims" and stories were made up by the followers later, to endow him with "exalted" status, (like Elijah or the Maccabean heroes). He was one of many apocalyptic preachers. The only reason we know of him, is because the cult that developed around him was politically useful to the Romans Empire. Simon of Perea was also "born of a virgin", "died and rose after 3 days". Why have we never heard about him ? (The gospels are in no way "historical narrative").

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
31-05-2013, 07:53 PM
(31-05-2013 02:16 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

I'm sorry gt, that doesn't matter for this discussion. We are not debating the validity of the claims made by said person, we are debating the verifiability of a person. Just because I claim I shit rainbows and sunshine doesn't make me any less real.

31-05-2013, 08:37 PM
And I thought I and I was nuts......

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
31-05-2013, 09:11 PM
(19-05-2013 10:19 AM)germanyt Wrote:  You gotta read this thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...881&page=1

I actually felt my IQ drop while reading that "enlightening" garbage.... Ouch!

“My view is that if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson