Did Adam and Eve commit Incest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2015, 07:22 AM
RE: Did Adam and Eve commit Incest?
(02-05-2015 06:36 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 05:33 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The Nephilim is a higher level of stupidity of this god. Why did YHWH make angels with dicks? Why did he make them with functional sexual reproduction systems that were genetically compatible enough with humans to actually produce super-humans. WTF YHWH??

I'm sure hilarity and facepalms would ensue if you tried to pin down an explanation from a believer for the OBVIOUS intent of YHWH making angels capable of sexual reproduction with humans. So what was his plan for this stupidity? Laughat

Yeah, Christians tend to skip over passages like that... can't be talking about horny angels in sunday school class!

But one can argue that there isn't much that would be appropriate to teach in sunday school class in Bible. Violence, genocide, xenophoby - one could say that horny angels are mild in comparision.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2015, 07:28 AM
(02-05-2015 07:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 06:36 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, Christians tend to skip over passages like that... can't be talking about horny angels in sunday school class!

But one can argue that there isn't much that would be appropriate to teach in sunday school class in Bible. Violence, genocide, xenophoby - one could say that horny angels are mild in comparision.

Talking about sex in a christian bible study class??!! I think their heads would explode. Laugh out load They don't typically talk about genocide or any of the other bad parts of the Bible in Sunday school class here in the U.S. They only focus on the good passages. Most christians that I know aren't even aware of the bad parts in the Bible--and if they are--they try and explain it away. i.e. God works in mysterious ways/God has a plan...
02-05-2015, 07:31 AM
(02-05-2015 07:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 07:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  But one can argue that there isn't much that would be appropriate to teach in sunday school class in Bible. Violence, genocide, xenophoby - one could say that horny angels are mild in comparision.

Talking about sex in a christian bible study class??!! I think their heads would explode. Laugh out load They don't typically talk about genocide or any of the other bad parts of the Bible in Sunday school class here in the U.S. They only focus on the good passages. Most christians that I know aren't even aware of the bad parts in the Bible--and if they are--they try and explain it away. i.e. God works in mysterious ways/God has a plan...

That's quite clever tactics, omniting the bad parts and highlighting good ones. One wonder if teachers are even aware of them?

And yes, talking about sex isn't something that I would expect from sunday school.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-05-2015, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 07:54 AM by Anjele.)
Double oops

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Ooops.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-05-2015, 07:40 AM
(02-05-2015 07:31 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 07:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Talking about sex in a christian bible study class??!! I think their heads would explode. Laugh out load They don't typically talk about genocide or any of the other bad parts of the Bible in Sunday school class here in the U.S. They only focus on the good passages. Most christians that I know aren't even aware of the bad parts in the Bible--and if they are--they try and explain it away. i.e. God works in mysterious ways/God has a plan...

That's quite clever tactics, omniting the bad parts and highlighting good ones. One wonder if teachers are even aware of them?

And yes, talking about sex isn't something that I would expect from sunday school.

Yeah, if they actually told people what was in the Bible they would lose half their congregation.
02-05-2015, 07:49 AM
(02-05-2015 07:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 07:31 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  That's quite clever tactics, omniting the bad parts and highlighting good ones. One wonder if teachers are even aware of them?

Yeah, if they actually told people what was in the Bible they would lose half their congregation.

It's possible but I'm afraid that effect would not be so drastic. It depends on deepth of indoctrination and propensity to believing in metaphorical character of the Bible.

I think that there would be some who after hearing about biblical god stunts would say that they are done with religion, but I think that greater percentage would shrug this off cause metaphors, god working in mysterious ways or some such.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-05-2015, 07:55 AM
(02-05-2015 07:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 07:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, if they actually told people what was in the Bible they would lose half their congregation.

It's possible but I'm afraid that effect would not be so drastic. It depends on deepth of indoctrination and propensity to believing in metaphorical character of the Bible.

I think that there would be some who after hearing about biblical god stunts would say that they are done with religion, but I think that greater percentage would shrug this off cause metaphors, god working in mysterious ways or some such.

I agree--if they continue to spin the passages and make the passages not *appear* so horrific. But what I am talking about is actually having a frank and honest discussion with church members about what it ACTUALLY says in the Bible (which of course would never happen).
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-05-2015, 08:03 AM
(02-05-2015 07:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 07:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's possible but I'm afraid that effect would not be so drastic. It depends on deepth of indoctrination and propensity to believing in metaphorical character of the Bible.

I agree--if they continue to spin the passages and make the passages not *appear* so horrific. But what I am talking about is actually having a frank and honest discussion with church members about what it ACTUALLY says in the Bible (which of course would never happen).

As I also think that it - honest discussion - will not happen, so this is moot point, but I am still not convinced. I think it is not merely about metaphors/hidding but also unwilingness to abandon vision of afterlife and belief that makes one feel better. After all one could believe in some kind of personalised god even if one disagree with church teaching or/and Bible.

So abandonig faith, or rather returning to natural state of unbelief is I think more about personal needs than horrible Bible verses. Though having say that, I certainly do not disagree with you, for your idea has merit and I can not be sure how others would react.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
02-05-2015, 08:14 AM
(02-05-2015 08:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 07:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I agree--if they continue to spin the passages and make the passages not *appear* so horrific. But what I am talking about is actually having a frank and honest discussion with church members about what it ACTUALLY says in the Bible (which of course would never happen).

As I also think that it - honest discussion - will not happen, so this is moot point, but I am still not convinced. I think it is not merely about metaphors/hidding but also unwilingness to abandon vision of afterlife and belief that makes one feel better. After all one could believe in some kind of personalised god even if one disagree with church teaching or/and Bible.

So abandonig faith, or rather returning to natural state of unbelief is I think more about personal needs than horrible Bible verses. Though having say that, I certainly do not disagree with you, for your idea has merit and I can not be sure how others would react.

I don't think they would lose all of their members--I am sure some would still hold on and decide to keep believing despite hearing (in an honest light) what is really in the Bible. But I think if the entire Bible was actually read by church members and it was viewed in a scholarly (and not spun) way--church numbers would decrease dramatically.