Did Democrats/Republicans flip-flop in our history?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Did Democrats/Republicans flip-flop in our history?
Someone posted the following on Facebook:

[Image: 10336696_772608659461288_911412181611602...415abc.jpg]

I was wondering... didn't Democrats and Republicans kinda switch at some point? Besides, those things that had all the Republican support sound a lot more like modern Democrat platforms rather than modern Republican platforms....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
29-06-2014, 06:26 PM
RE: Did Democrats/Republicans flip-flop in our history?
(29-06-2014 06:23 PM)Charis Wrote:  Someone posted the following on Facebook:

I was wondering... didn't Democrats and Republicans kinda switch at some point? Besides, those things that had all the Republican support sound a lot more like modern Democrat platforms rather than modern Republican platforms....

Yes, long story short when LBJ went forward with civil rights the southern wing of the Democratic Party left and joined the republicans.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I wonder how accurate those numbers are and where they came from.

Religion is bad
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
29-06-2014, 09:52 PM
(29-06-2014 06:23 PM)Charis Wrote:  Someone posted the following on Facebook:

Yes most definitely. In fact in the past slavery was abolished by the republicans(only so Lincoln could have more soldiers for the war, but he freed them no less), and democrats where opposed to slaves being free and blacks having any rights. In fact even after slavery they tried some more bullshit in order to get slaves to work without it being slavery. However as time changed, it switched. Now a days most republicans are fat white men and their fat or incredible model figurine white wives. Democrats now a days seem to be a mix of races with a mix of people of all shapes and sizes. Funny enough republicans over time became more religious over their history and democrats have become less religious. Funny I thought god loved black men too.Undecided

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
30-06-2014, 10:33 PM
There is no connection whatsoever between he 13th through 15th amendments and Obamacare. That graphic is insulting to those who oppose Obamacare because it suggests the reasons for opposing the law are based on discriminatory or racist reasons. There are plenty of economic reasons to oppose the law--both from conservative and liberal points of view.

That said, yes, the parties flipped. When it was progressive to support equal rights regardless of race, GOP supported this and other progressive leaning causes. The flip happened earlier than the LBJ era as another poster suggested. There was a lot of political strife in the GOP when the progressive Republican president Teddy Roosevelt bolted the party and tried running as a third party candidate, the Progressive party in the early 1900s. Roosevelt created this third party after he failed to block the re-nomination of Taft, his hand picked successor, who did not embrace his progressive policies . After that point, it was Democratic presidents Wilson and later FDR that really set their own party on the path of fully embracing the progressive policies that were formally at home in the GOP.

FDR's dominant political coalition included the entrenched racist Democrats in the south who opposed the GOP primarily on the basis of animosity towards their historical role in supporting equal rights for African Americans. Nixon devised the strategy for the GOP to pick apart the Democratic party dominance by pulling those 'Dixicrats' into the GOP. This started the trend of the GOP changing from the libertarian Goldwater candidacy towards the modern day social conservative dominated party. It took a century to happen, but the politics of the two parties did in fact flip to their opposites over the full course of the 1900s.
[+] 3 users Like BryanS's post
16-09-2014, 02:06 AM
Bryan S,
I find your answer to this question to be the MOST historically correct one I have found on-line and I commend you for that accuracy. Thank you.

It is the most cogent and accurate one I have found based upon historical information. AND you encapsulated the 80 yr. answer in two paragraphs. Congratulations.

I applaud you and your clean, clear, informative answer to THE stated question:

"Yes, the parties flipped. When it was progressive to support equal rights regardless of race, GOP supported this and other progressive leaning causes. The flip happened earlier than the LBJ era as another poster suggested. There was a lot of political strife in the GOP when the progressive Republican president Teddy Roosevelt bolted the party and tried running as a third party candidate, the Progressive party in the early 1900s. Roosevelt created this third party after he failed to block the re-nomination of Taft, his hand picked successor, who did not embrace his progressive policies . After that point, it was Democratic presidents Wilson and later FDR that really set their own party on the path of fully embracing the progressive policies that were formally at home in the GOP.

FDR's dominant political coalition included the entrenched racist Democrats in the south who opposed the GOP primarily on the basis of animosity towards their historical role in supporting equal rights for African Americans. Nixon devised the strategy for the GOP to pick apart the Democratic party dominance by pulling those 'Dixicrats' into the GOP. This started the trend of the GOP changing from the libertarian Goldwater candidacy towards the modern day social conservative dominated party. It took a century to happen, but the politics of the two parties did in fact flip to their opposites over the full course of the 1900s."
[+] 1 user Likes littleprince1977's post
16-09-2014, 04:32 AM
Yes, Fake democracy is always flop in the history. Rare were successful.
17-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Where the political ideologies of both parties really proved their malleability was during the Industrial Age and the labor movement. Teddy Roosevelt smashed monopolies and freed up a massive imposed burden for labor unions, which is really why he was a one-term president. The upper class have always wielded the parties as tools to ensure their stable position, and the GOP has never been fond of the labor movement. Put the two together.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
17-09-2014, 11:32 AM
(17-09-2014 11:27 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Where the political ideologies of both parties really proved their malleability was during the Industrial Age and the labor movement. Teddy Roosevelt smashed monopolies and freed up a massive imposed burden for labor unions, which is really why he was a one-term president. The upper class have always wielded the parties as tools to ensure their stable position, and the GOP has never been fond of the labor movement. Put the two together.

He was president for 7 years, having served the bulk of McKinley's term. When he was elected in his own right, he publicly stated he wouldn't seek another term.
He later bitterly regretted that statement.

When he ran as the Progressive candidate in 1912, he split the Republican vote, giving the Democrat Woodrow Wilson the presidency.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-09-2014, 11:36 AM
When Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 he commented that "I have lost the south for the next 50 years."

Turns out he was optimistic.

Abe Lincoln would be run out of the republicunt party today.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post