Did Ezekiel see a spaceship?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
07-01-2015, 05:37 AM
RE: Did Ezekiel see a spaceship?
I suppose it's no less plausible than the rest of the stories in that book.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 12:40 PM
(06-01-2015 09:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  [Image: Ancient-Aliens-Meme-Hair-Guy-0131-600x630.jpg]

[Image: ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-...a0f6bd.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-01-2015, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 12:36 PM by The Q Continuum.)
The thing about the Ezekiel/spaceship tale - which is about as old now as the UFO sightings of the 1940's - is that the descriptions in Ezekiel show human and animal appendages, fire, etc. and not a grey flying disc.

To paraphrase NBC, the more you read the Bible, the more you know (about the Bible, and the ancient near east and human culture, and life, and etc.)!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't think he saw a spaceship but it appears like he did catch a Donkey show in Tijuana once.

18 When she carried on her prostitution openly and exposed her naked body, I turned away from her in disgust, just as I had turned away from her sister. 19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. (Ezekiel 23)

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
09-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Kinky old Ezekiel. How did he know, hmmm? There seem to be a few "flying ships" legends. It's mentioned in the Greek legend of the Hyperboreans. It's also part a story/legend from Ireland in the Book of Invasions about how the Tuatha De Danaan? arrived in Ireland.
09-01-2015, 02:43 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! So my past has finally caught up to me. You see I used to believe that he did see a spaceship. Right before I became a sceptic I believed in this shit along with lizard people!!! Can you believe it? I'm trying hard to fight laughter at my foolish ways. I remember the days when I thought god's descent on mount Sinai was done via a rocket ship!

Let's see if the new sceptic powers I have been embued with can find a reasonable answer. I accept the challenge! Because I can't say yes or no outright, I can propose a method of inquiry.

So the first step is to determine if this happened in reality before we twist our panties. Ezekiel 1:1 reads more like someone was having a dream. So this is not reality. Now it doesn't matter if he saw a spaceship or not.

Next we gotta see if an account like this was unique or typical of similar types of texts. I'm too lazy to check because I'm suffering from itis. The bible is known to have unoriginal texts like the flood story.

Is what is being described remotely similar to a craft with the necessary aerodynamic qualities for flight? This is a key issue because it makes or breaks the case. How could a man from the distant past consistantly describe such a thing? Even if he's never seen such a thing he should be able to communicate significant features. Ezekiel is using similies for cattle and humans to describe his "craft". None of these have the necessary aerodynamic qualities for flight. Based on this point alone he did not see a spaceship.

I think the writer was caught up with using too many superlatives to inspire awe. He is describing god after all. It reads more like an attempt to completely blow the minds of a primitive people.

For these reasons I reject the spaceship claim.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
09-01-2015, 03:03 PM
(09-01-2015 02:43 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! So my past has finally caught up to me. You see I used to believe that he did see a spaceship. Right before I became a sceptic I believed in this shit along with lizard people!!! Can you believe it? I'm trying hard to fight laughter at my foolish ways. I remember the days when I thought god's descent on mount Sinai was done via a rocket ship!

Let's see if the new sceptic powers I have been embued with can find a reasonable answer. I accept the challenge! Because I can't say yes or no outright, I can propose a method of inquiry.

So the first step is to determine if this happened in reality before we twist our panties. Ezekiel 1:1 reads more like someone was having a dream. So this is not reality. Now it doesn't matter if he saw a spaceship or not.

Next we gotta see if an account like this was unique or typical of similar types of texts. I'm too lazy to check because I'm suffering from itis. The bible is known to have unoriginal texts like the flood story.

Is what is being described remotely similar to a craft with the necessary aerodynamic qualities for flight? This is a key issue because it makes or breaks the case. How could a man from the distant past consistantly describe such a thing? Even if he's never seen such a thing he should be able to communicate significant features. Ezekiel is using similies for cattle and humans to describe his "craft". None of these have the necessary aerodynamic qualities for flight. Based on this point alone he did not see a spaceship.

I think the writer was caught up with using too many superlatives to inspire awe. He is describing god after all. It reads more like an attempt to completely blow the minds of a primitive people.

For these reasons I reject the spaceship claim.

But the vision(s) is a fraction of a fraction of Ezekiel's message to Israel including comfort to his people, predictions for Babylon et al and end times prophecy.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Aren't we questioning whether he really saw a spaceship or not? I don't think the intention of his message is relevant.

And you were supposed to like my post. It is well reasoned.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
12-01-2015, 12:07 PM
(09-01-2015 11:56 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Aren't we questioning whether he really saw a spaceship or not? I don't think the intention of his message is relevant.

And you were supposed to like my post. It is well reasoned.

I think it was well-reasoned. I'd also comment that many retellings of the vision look at spaceships without scanning for the details of human and animal-like features, etc.