Did God create the world at the 4.64 billion year mark?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
30-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Did God create the world at the 4.64 billion year mark?
I (atheist) was talking to an old teacher of mine (Christian) and we came upon the subject of dinosaurs and his view on the age of the Earth. He said he was a young Earther. I asked him how he could believe that. He told me that if God is omnipotent, why couldn't he have created the Earth AT the 4.64 billion year mark, some 6 thousand or so years ago. So God basically started the Earth at this stage, with the dinosaurs in the ground and their fossils being prepared for our fuel and what not. And then he created man and blah blah blah.

I can't think of a very good argument against this right now. Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ElectricEthan's post
30-12-2011, 07:47 PM
RE: Did God create the world at the 4.64 billion year mark?
Just ask him for evidence, I guess that will be enough ; d
[+] 1 user Likes imralav's post
30-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I realize there is no evidence to suggest this. I was wondering if there was some counter-evidence.
30-12-2011, 07:58 PM
As him if he suffers from other delusions besides this insanity and would he like your help in getting him to see a neurologist as soon as possible?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Ok right. So God thought up this incredible background story of all the life forms on earth and how they came to be and how they evolved from one form to another, and just fast forwarded to the time of man when those life forms were all long dead? What kind of fucked up thinking is that?

If 'god' was so smart, he would've kept the background story simple: as in, there were no dinosaurs. Humans were just created on earth. You know, like the bible says. Isn't it funny how they are twisting their story now to try and make it meet science that it just doesn't tie in with the original creationism story at all anymore?

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why ANYONE would take the bible's account of creation as fact. The concept is so stupid it makes me crazy.
[+] 2 users Like bluesummer's post
30-12-2011, 08:01 PM
The only argument against that is to ask why.
Is god a liar? Why would he need to lie?
This argument is on the same level of is there a god.
You can't actually prove it one way or another. It's a fail safe.
If people pull that one out the conversation is over because the person using it usually doesn't wish to have a genuine discussion.
But if for some reason they do just ask why would god do that. Chances are you'll get the answer of I don't know why god does things the way he does them... Then you say, so why worship something that you do not understand the motivations of? What if gods motivation is one made up only of deception and lies? What if god doesn't want the best for you after all. Would you be friends with someone who spent their time willfully deceiving you?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
30-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I am not sure how far you want to take this. But Genesis says God created everything in six days. To me 6 days are 6 days! You can read the descendants of Adam listed in Genesis 5.This includes the lineage from Noah of the flood all the way back to the "first" man, Adam.Then in other chapters you find the lineage from Noah to Abraham, who formed these 3 religions , the Muslims, the Jews and the Christians. These are called Abrahamic religions.

Then from the lineage of Abraham through a few generations King David leaves his mark in history, and the a few generations later, Jesus. The point I am trying to make ( without great writing skills) is that according to these records the earth would only be about 6000 years old.Yes, I know someone will say that the 6 days of creation were not literal days. Ok, cool. I already knew the Bible is a book of myths anyway!

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Infidel's post
30-12-2011, 10:25 PM
I guy just told you a divine being created the earth 6 thousand years ago via magic with dinosaurs having never lived fossilized in the ground and animals and man walking this Earth...

Then you come to a forum on the internet and ask a group of atheist what you should say next? Really?

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
30-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Tell him he's being intellectually lazy. As a Christian, you can't just go "herp derp Gawd did it" and expect it to suffice for an explanation without at least attempting to reconcile your beliefs.

Besides the science, there is so much that points away from YEC. Ask him to explain the Akkadian king Adapa. Akkadian written history predates Hebrew written language. Ask him why the language and tone of the Genesis creation account is written completely different from the rest of the book. I would honestly love to hear a YEC's explanation for all of this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
30-12-2011, 11:50 PM
If God created it all 6000 years ago, cleverly faked to look like it existed since 4.64 bn BCE, how is he sure that God didn't create it 2 seconds ago, cleverly faked to look like it existed since 4.64 bn BCE ? Oh wait there's this book...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post