Did God create the world at the 4.64 billion year mark?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
31-12-2011, 02:03 AM
RE: Did God create the world at the 4.64 billion year mark?
I found some info on YEC (Young Earth Creationists) from an Atheist/Agnostic website:

Such questions make no impact upon Young Earth Creationists because they have a firm and necessary religious commitment to the literal inerrancy of the Bible. As Henry Morris, a leading creationist, explains it, Christians who flirt with less-than-literal readings of biblical texts are also flirting with theological disaster. Allegorical readings of Creation, the Fall, the Flood and the Tower of Babel undermine core Christian doctrines like the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ. According to Morris, Christians must “either...believe God’s Word all the way, or not at all.”

I would just like to add a thought: If people cannot read the Bible and understand it literally, then how can they base their whole life and their very existence on it?

I get the idea that arguing with a YEC about evolution and the age of the earth would be waste of time. Their world revolves around a book which is "perfect and holy".

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Infidel's post
31-12-2011, 02:08 AM
(31-12-2011 02:03 AM)Infidel Wrote:  I found some info on YEC (Young Earth Creationists) from an Atheist/Agnostic website:

Such questions make no impact upon Young Earth Creationists because they have a firm and necessary religious commitment to the literal inerrancy of the Bible. As Henry Morris, a leading creationist, explains it, Christians who flirt with less-than-literal readings of biblical texts are also flirting with theological disaster. Allegorical readings of Creation, the Fall, the Flood and the Tower of Babel undermine core Christian doctrines like the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ. According to Morris, Christians must “either...believe God’s Word all the way, or not at all.”

I would just like to add a thought: If people cannot read the Bible and understand it literally, then how can they base their whole life and their very existence on it?

I get the idea that arguing with a YEC about evolution and the age of the earth would be waste of time. Their world revolves around a book which is "perfect and holy".

Ugh. I used to hang around with the Henry Morris crowd. Thanks for "resurrecting" that name. Blech.

Your idea is correct. YEC's will never be convinced of any evidence or argument presented that goes against their belief in God. By nature, God can transcend any kind of natural evidence, so there will always be a way to discount reality by saying you're an ignorant atheist who just hasn't had the Holy Spirit reveal God's Truth to you yet.

And yes, I said they will never be convinced if it goes agaisnt their belief in God, so the trick is to challenge their belief in God. Still not going to happen during a discussion they have with you, but I'm living proof that over time, even the most demented can break free to clarity of mind.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
31-12-2011, 02:16 AM
(31-12-2011 02:03 AM)Infidel Wrote:  I would just like to add a thought: If people cannot read the Bible and understand it literally, then how can they base their whole life and their very existence on it?

Because it wasn't meant to be read 100% literally. There are many factors that have to be considered when reading and interpreting the Bible: context, audience, translation, history, symbolism, metaphors, numerology, poetic language, story language.

If a Christian wants to believe the Bible 100% literally, that's fine. It isn't going to affect his salvation; however, they should not try to enter into a legitimate discussion about the Bible without first researching and considering the meanings and influences of what is written.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-12-2011, 02:18 AM
(31-12-2011 02:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because it wasn't meant to be read 100% literally.

That's quite a declaration. Is there a verse I missed somewhere?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-12-2011, 02:21 AM
(31-12-2011 02:18 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 02:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because it wasn't meant to be read 100% literally.

Almost all of Revelation.

31-12-2011, 02:21 AM
(31-12-2011 02:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Now you really have to explain what you're talking about.

~Izel
31-12-2011, 02:23 AM
(31-12-2011 02:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 02:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Now you really have to explain what you're talking about.

I'll start a new thread. I'm getting bad at derailing.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
31-12-2011, 05:00 AM
Also, how can creationist say that the Bible doesn't literally talks about six days? The Bible clearly says that there was evening, morning and a new day. At the end of it, it talks about how the Israelite need to obvserve the seventh day, the Sabbath. If the Bible isn't talking about literal 6 days, then what happens to the Sabbath? what, it lasted for, say, million years as well?
[+] 4 users Like Vlad's post
31-12-2011, 07:46 AM
(31-12-2011 05:00 AM)Vlad Wrote:  Also, how can creationist say that the Bible doesn't literally talks about six days? The Bible clearly says that there was evening, morning and a new day. At the end of it, it talks about how the Israelite need to obvserve the seventh day, the Sabbath. If the Bible isn't talking about literal 6 days, then what happens to the Sabbath? what, it lasted for, say, million years as well?

Good point, Vlad. This point gets missed by a lot of Christians because they've already done away with the Sabbath in their belief. Once you're able to remove the 4th Commandment and go to church on Sunday, it's easy enough to start removing other parts of the Bible and say those don't apply either.

I kept the Sabbath in a Christian way for many years, and that obligated me to believe in a literal 6 day creation for a lot of those years. Once I was convinced of the age of the earth and the universe, the slippery slope started, but it was still many years until I became convinced of evolution and then more time had to go by before I realized I could just drop the whole thing.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-12-2011, 08:45 AM
(31-12-2011 07:46 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 05:00 AM)Vlad Wrote:  Also, how can creationist say that the Bible doesn't literally talks about six days? The Bible clearly says that there was evening, morning and a new day. At the end of it, it talks about how the Israelite need to obvserve the seventh day, the Sabbath. If the Bible isn't talking about literal 6 days, then what happens to the Sabbath? what, it lasted for, say, million years as well?

Good point, Vlad. This point gets missed by a lot of Christians because they've already done away with the Sabbath in their belief. Once you're able to remove the 4th Commandment and go to church on Sunday, it's easy enough to start removing other parts of the Bible and say those don't apply either.

I kept the Sabbath in a Christian way for many years, and that obligated me to believe in a literal 6 day creation for a lot of those years. Once I was convinced of the age of the earth and the universe, the slippery slope started, but it was still many years until I became convinced of evolution and then more time had to go by before I realized I could just drop the whole thing.
Yeah, I guess it's expected Christians to do something like that, but Jews are saying the same thing (copying from Christian...)
They can't just say that the Bible isn't talking about literal days while ignoring the very same day that they observe at the end of the week.

I just remembered an explanation for human evolution by a famous Rabbi in one of his lectures, lol. It goes something like that: "It was a Chinese who went to Africa, his eyebrows got thicker and then a died".
[+] 1 user Likes Vlad's post