Did God ever do anything inherently good?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Did God ever do anything inherently good?
It occurred to me that I couldn't think of a single thing from the Bible that ever represented true love or kindness that emanated from god.

God sending Jesus as a human sacrifice to atone for original sin might be the first thing a theist might assert as good. However, there is a component of brutal torture and death wrapped up in this proposition, along with infinite torture and death for those that don't accept his "gift". There are conditions and threats attached to this perverse "good" act.

Where is an example of a PURE act of goodness from god without threats or strings attached? Where did this god ever just want to do good?

Perhaps the creation myth would be next on the list, except man immediately gets kicked out of the garden, had immortality taken away and then subsequently every human gets drowned later. A life of suffering is what we are promised, not a very loving gift at all.

Maybe when god gives the slaves that fled Egypt manna from heaven. That is about the best thing this god ever did but god severely restricted them from gathering too much, again, there are strings attached.

When did god ever act like a human with PURE love towards another human without strings attached?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 01:08 PM
RE: Did God ever do anything inherently good?
I'm hearing crickets, Dude. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Quote:God sending Jesus as a human sacrifice to atone for original sin might be the first thing a theist might assert as good. However, there is a component of brutal torture and death wrapped up in this proposition, along with infinite torture and death for those that don't accept his "gift".

Aside from that,

[Image: jesus_ta_da_holiday_card-r05512e4251864e...vr_512.jpg]

it's about the stupidest story ever concocted.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
19-09-2014, 01:17 PM
He helped me find my car keys. Hobo

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
19-09-2014, 01:22 PM
(19-09-2014 01:08 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm hearing crickets, Dude. Drinking Beverage

CricketsCricketsCrickets
19-09-2014, 01:28 PM
He created Satan.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
19-09-2014, 03:33 PM
(19-09-2014 01:28 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  He created Satan.

OK, fine, he did one good thing. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Jesus healing people out of compassion is the closest thing I can think of truly altruistic behavior, but he always linked it to having faith. Again, we have conditions attached to the act.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
19-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Umm. No.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-09-2014, 04:21 PM
(19-09-2014 12:59 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It occurred to me that I couldn't think of a single thing from the Bible that ever represented true love or kindness that emanated from god.

God sending Jesus as a human sacrifice to atone for original sin might be the first thing a theist might assert as good. However, there is a component of brutal torture and death wrapped up in this proposition, along with infinite torture and death for those that don't accept his "gift". There are conditions and threats attached to this perverse "good" act.

Where is an example of a PURE act of goodness from god without threats or strings attached? Where did this god ever just want to do good?

Perhaps the creation myth would be next on the list, except man immediately gets kicked out of the garden, had immortality taken away and then subsequently every human gets drowned later. A life of suffering is what we are promised, not a very loving gift at all.

Maybe when god gives the slaves that fled Egypt manna from heaven. That is about the best thing this god ever did but god severely restricted them from gathering too much, again, there are strings attached.

When did god ever act like a human with PURE love towards another human without strings attached?

When God sent his son to die for us (and set the bar for following him pretty low tbh).

Also, manna.