Did God ever do anything inherently good?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-09-2014, 04:27 PM
RE: Did God ever do anything inherently good?
(19-09-2014 04:21 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 12:59 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It occurred to me that I couldn't think of a single thing from the Bible that ever represented true love or kindness that emanated from god.

God sending Jesus as a human sacrifice to atone for original sin might be the first thing a theist might assert as good. However, there is a component of brutal torture and death wrapped up in this proposition, along with infinite torture and death for those that don't accept his "gift". There are conditions and threats attached to this perverse "good" act.

Where is an example of a PURE act of goodness from god without threats or strings attached? Where did this god ever just want to do good?

Perhaps the creation myth would be next on the list, except man immediately gets kicked out of the garden, had immortality taken away and then subsequently every human gets drowned later. A life of suffering is what we are promised, not a very loving gift at all.

Maybe when god gives the slaves that fled Egypt manna from heaven. That is about the best thing this god ever did but god severely restricted them from gathering too much, again, there are strings attached.

When did god ever act like a human with PURE love towards another human without strings attached?

When God sent his son to die for us (and set the bar for following him pretty low tbh).

Why is that good? Vicarious redemption for 'sin' that he himself saddled humans with?

Quote:Also, manna.

After sending people into the fucking desert where there is precious little to eat, without a map, without assistance, not even AAA, he provides some magic snacks.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Did God ever do anything? Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
19-09-2014, 04:44 PM
(19-09-2014 04:01 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Jesus healing people out of compassion is the closest thing I can think of truly altruistic behavior, but he always linked it to having faith. Again, we have conditions attached to the act.

A PR move at best. Sleepy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-09-2014, 04:59 PM
He gave the world me

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
19-09-2014, 05:15 PM
(19-09-2014 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  After sending people into the fucking desert where there is precious little to eat, without a map, without assistance, not even AAA, he provides some magic snacks.

Can I quote you on that? Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Li_Holodomer's post