Did Hitler win?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
RE: Did Hitler win?
(04-12-2014 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Let's not because it would be idiotic to do so. We, unlike you, tend not to make the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Chas, please don't take this personally, but you seem very skilled at finding the things in my posts that threated your position the most and responding only to those things, and rather dismissively.

Your posts are mostly idiotic, so that's not difficult.
And nothing you have ever posted is threatening to any position I hold.

Quote:My point stands tall, still. It would be no less idiotic to discuss whether TTA is composed of real atheists than it is to try to tell me NO person who has ever lived can possibly, concretely determine what a Christian is, and then become one!

What is a real atheist? It is simply someone who does not believe in any gods. Do you think there is more to it? If so, what?

Quote:Or do you want to recreate that stance again using different terms to explain this nonsense proposed by atheists on this thread. Drinking Beverage

What nonsense is that? Please be specific.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 01:41 PM
(04-12-2014 11:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. It is irrelevant whether the Bible is meant to be taken literally or metaphorically in this instance, only whether we may determine if it can be interpreted accurately. A relativist's worldview does not exclude facts from being facts. I can just as easily say the Bible is a metaphor but that metaphorically, I'm a true Christian and know when others aren't.

Do you believe a true Christian needs to believe in hell? Do they need to believe in Satan? Can a person be a "true" Christian and not believe in those two things?

(04-12-2014 11:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  2. Why would I attempt to prove that a person who believes a true Christian has a heart for Jesus is wrong? That's exactly what I believe.

I'm sorry. I didn't word that as well as I should have. I meant that a person would be true Christian solely from accepting Jesus into their heart.

The problem is, many people have differing opinions as to whether or not you need to be baptized/elected/repent/take communion/etc in addition to get into heaven. Furthermore, different people have different benchmarks on what exactly you have to do to accept Jesus. And their opinions are going to be formed both in part on differing interpretations of different parts of the Bible combined with any other narrative they want to believe.

(04-12-2014 11:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  3. If we keep this up much longer, I will remind you that I want to be learning about and from authentic atheists, and I'll ask us to demonstrate that some if not most of the people on this forum are true atheists... and then you can tell me over and again that no one can prove that anyone on this forum is truly an atheist! Let's not go there...

[Image: skeptical-sm_zps59fc1324.png]

Don't do that. Don't be a vonce.
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2014, 03:15 PM
(04-12-2014 12:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Chas, please don't take this personally, but you seem very skilled at finding the things in my posts that threated your position the most and responding only to those things, and rather dismissively.

My point stands tall, still. It would be no less idiotic to discuss whether TTA is composed of real atheists than it is to try to tell me NO person who has ever lived can possibly, concretely determine what a Christian is, and then become one! Or do you want to recreate that stance again using different terms to explain this nonsense proposed by atheists on this thread. Drinking Beverage

Tell us oh wise one, among the 33,000 sects of Jebus' followers, who are "real" and who are not. Nothing you've written so far has "threated" (or even threatened) anyone. Tongue

I don't understand how the 33,000 number is a claim against this argument...? It seems spurious. I'm trying to explain who among 2.6 Billion adherents is true or false, a much bigger number.

Next, you will tell me you deny there are 33,000 different shades of philosophy or secularism or atheism or anything else you care to name.

Bucky, would you become a Bible believer if there was only one (1) church? Wasn't there only one for hundreds of years to begin apart from some Arians and so on?

I've never found this 33,000 argument compelling. Do you find it very compelling? Wasn't it just a throwaway jibe that wasn't meant to be an actual argument? Do you have something of substance to contribute to my understanding?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-12-2014, 03:17 PM
(04-12-2014 01:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Chas, please don't take this personally, but you seem very skilled at finding the things in my posts that threated your position the most and responding only to those things, and rather dismissively.

Your posts are mostly idiotic, so that's not difficult.

Quote:My point stands tall, still. It would be no less idiotic to discuss whether TTA is composed of real atheists than it is to try to tell me NO person who has ever lived can possibly, concretely determine what a Christian is, and then become one!

What is a real atheist? It is simply someone who does not believe in any gods. Do you think there is more to it? If so, what?

Quote:Or do you want to recreate that stance again using different terms to explain this nonsense proposed by atheists on this thread. Drinking Beverage

What is a real Christian? It is simply someone who is born again, and changed for the better. Do you think there is more to it? If so, what?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-12-2014, 03:18 PM
(04-12-2014 01:41 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. It is irrelevant whether the Bible is meant to be taken literally or metaphorically in this instance, only whether we may determine if it can be interpreted accurately. A relativist's worldview does not exclude facts from being facts. I can just as easily say the Bible is a metaphor but that metaphorically, I'm a true Christian and know when others aren't.

Do you believe a true Christian needs to believe in hell? Do they need to believe in Satan? Can a person be a "true" Christian and not believe in those two things?

(04-12-2014 11:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  2. Why would I attempt to prove that a person who believes a true Christian has a heart for Jesus is wrong? That's exactly what I believe.

I'm sorry. I didn't word that as well as I should have. I meant that a person would be true Christian solely from accepting Jesus into their heart.

The problem is, many people have differing opinions as to whether or not you need to be baptized/elected/repent/take communion/etc in addition to get into heaven. Furthermore, different people have different benchmarks on what exactly you have to do to accept Jesus. And their opinions are going to be formed both in part on differing interpretations of different parts of the Bible combined with any other narrative they want to believe.

(04-12-2014 11:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  3. If we keep this up much longer, I will remind you that I want to be learning about and from authentic atheists, and I'll ask us to demonstrate that some if not most of the people on this forum are true atheists... and then you can tell me over and again that no one can prove that anyone on this forum is truly an atheist! Let's not go there...

[Image: skeptical-sm_zps59fc1324.png]

Don't do that. Don't be a vonce.

I have no idea what a vonce is, but if it is anything like a "schwanze" I'll try to avoid that!

04-12-2014, 03:20 PM
(04-12-2014 03:17 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 01:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your posts are mostly idiotic, so that's not difficult.

What is a real Christian? It is simply someone who is born again, and changed for the better. Do you think there is more to it? If so, what?

That is your definition of a real Christian. Other Christians disagree with you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-12-2014, 08:03 PM
(04-12-2014 03:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 01:41 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Don't do that. Don't be a vonce.

I have no idea what a vonce is, but if it is anything like a "schwanze" I'll try to avoid that!

It's from a scene in Heist. I've yet to hear it anywhere else, but I like the way it sounds. So far as I can tell, I'm one of very few people who use that word. It may or may not be related to schwanze.

Here's where he says it. Below is the full scene:

05-12-2014, 12:26 PM
(04-12-2014 03:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 03:17 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What is a real Christian? It is simply someone who is born again, and changed for the better. Do you think there is more to it? If so, what?

That is your definition of a real Christian. Other Christians disagree with you.

Ah, but are they "true" Christians? And much more importantly from my perspective, are they right or wrong in that belief? Heaven and Hell depend on the answers in part.

05-12-2014, 12:48 PM
(04-12-2014 08:03 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It's from a scene in Heist. I've yet to hear it anywhere else, but I like the way it sounds. So far as I can tell, I'm one of very few people who use that word. It may or may not be related to schwanze.

from http://isntitallfun.homestead.com/Yiddis...onary.html

Vonce: bedbug

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Q, there was one question of mine you didn't answer, earlier:

(04-12-2014 01:41 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Do you believe a true Christian needs to believe in hell? Do they need to believe in Satan? Can a person be a "true" Christian and not believe in those two things?