Did I do right?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Did I do right?
A cat was hit by a car in my neighborhood. Her back right leg was mangled and her hip was crushed. You could see it hanging out of the socket. She could barely walk.

When I was cutting grass she was lying in my front yard. I went right up to her and she let me pet her and love on her. She even let me pick her up and was purring the whole time. we really bonded in those few minutes and she trusted me completely. I could tell she was in a considerable amount of pain and to top it off she was weezing really badly. I can only assume this was fluid on the lungs from the trauma.

I took her around to all the neighbors and found out she had no owner and people had just been giving her scraps here and there. She also had a mark on her neck where she had outgrown her kitten collar and it was never taken off. I'm assuming she worked it off or someone took it off.

Anyway, the poor cat was suffering... I'm not paying to take her to a vet or anything like that and shelters won't take stray cats.

I brought the cat in my back yard. She got really scared. I didn't want to do what I was about to do, but I could not let her suffer. she couldn't hunt or get away from danger. She looked back at me and then looked forward again. I pointed my gun at the back of her head and pulled the trigger. I shot her again just to make sure. I almost threw up.

I buried her in the woods behind my house. I'm never going to forget the image of me shooting her in the head.

Did I do the right thing?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
24-05-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: Did I do right?
(24-05-2014 06:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A cat was hit by a car in my neighborhood. Her back right leg was mangled and her hip was crushed. You could see it hanging out of the socket. She could barely walk.

When I was cutting grass she was lying in my front yard. I went right up to her and she let me pet her and love on her. She even let me pick her up and was purring the whole time. we really bonded in those few minutes and she trusted me completely. I could tell she was in a considerable amount of pain and to top it off she was weezing really badly. I can only assume this was fluid on the lungs from the trauma.

I took her around to all the neighbors and found out she had no owner and people had just been giving her scraps here and there. She also had a mark on her neck where she had outgrown her kitten collar and it was never taken off. I'm assuming she worked it off or someone took it off.

Anyway, the poor cat was suffering... I'm not paying to take her to a vet or anything like that and shelters won't take stray cats.

I brought the cat in my back yard. She got really scared. I didn't want to do what I was about to do, but I could not let her suffer. she couldn't hunt or get away from danger. She looked back at me and then looked forward again. I pointed my gun at the back of her head and pulled the trigger. I shot her again just to make sure. I almost threw up.

I buried her in the woods behind my house. I'm never going to forget the image of me shooting her in the head.

Yes, she probably would have suffered for a long time only to die in a week or less anyway. You shortened her suffering in the most humane way possible.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-05-2014, 06:55 PM
That is an answer you have to reach for yourself ultimately.

It was more humane then letting her die a slow and agonizing death. It wasn't your responsibility to pay for an ER vet call. Maybe find an animal rescue number to have on hand should you ever encounter something similar.

I know what I would have done. I know what my dad (the veterinarian) would have done and it would have been exactly what you did if it was that dire.

It's a tough one. At least she had a few minutes of someone giving a damn.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
24-05-2014, 07:18 PM
It just made me very sad and question my actions... like what if I just let her live out life and nature take its course. Did I provide a more humane alternative than life would have given her?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-05-2014, 07:18 PM
sometimes the right decision just sucks.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Yes, you did the right thing. You ended a needless suffering.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-05-2014, 07:26 PM
(24-05-2014 07:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It just made me very sad and question my actions... like what if I just let her live out life and nature take its course. Did I provide a more humane alternative than life would have given her?

You can't really know that. If you would have taken her to a vet, he may have been able to remove her one back leg and then you would need to be responsible for giving her a good home, safely indoors. But still, you can't really know.

You did what you could with what information you were momentarily provided to rely upon. Sometimes, all you can do, is really all you can do. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
24-05-2014, 07:33 PM
(24-05-2014 06:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A cat was hit by a car in my neighborhood. Her back right leg was mangled and her hip was crushed. You could see it hanging out of the socket. She could barely walk.

Yes.
24-05-2014, 09:17 PM
There were probably several possible right things; yours was one of them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes, you did.

If the fact that I endorsed your decision doesn't convince you, nothing will.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 14 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post