Did I do right?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 09:50 PM
RE: Did I do right?
(24-05-2014 07:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It just made me very sad and question my actions...

Life is always full of questions. If you don't question... that's when you aren't doing it right.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like kim's post
24-05-2014, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2014 10:12 PM by Bucky Ball.)
You did what you *thought* was compassionate under the circumstances. So yes. That's the right thing. Shooting it was probably pretty hard, (as opposed to an injection, harder for you, actually than the cat), but what else could you do ? Whether someone else would have done something else under THEIR circumstances is irrelevant. There are in some places maybe University Vet ER's, (actually I only know of them for "raptors" ie birds), that might have tried to do an amputation or something, but with a mushed leg, I suspect any vet would have counseled putting it down. They don't work for free.

A kitty with a broken leg showed up at our door once, and after a few hundred bucks in vet bills, (which my dad could afford), we brought it home, and pooph, it ran away for a few months... but, guess what ? It came back (!!), and it has been my brother's cat for years. It's name is Petey. Petey the cat. My mom's cat is named Damnit. (You go to the door and call it "Get in here Damnit").

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-05-2014, 10:02 PM
If you took her to the vet they would have put her down too. You did the right thing.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
25-05-2014, 02:21 AM
That is something I would have considered and possibly chosen as a course of action. You did do it and this cat is not suffering now, anymore. That's no longer a problem.

If you can't get those last images from reoccurring in your mind, that would be a new problem. Try to stop and redirect your thoughts so your mind doesn't create a monster out of an action motivated by compassion.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
25-05-2014, 04:33 AM
(24-05-2014 09:39 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Yes, you did.

If the fact that I endorsed your decision doesn't convince you, nothing will.

/thread.

Now go pound some bourbon and move on to the next existential crisis. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-05-2014, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 02:23 PM by Mathilda.)
I'd say that you did everything right. A gun is quick and painless and it minimised suffering. You showed the cat care and love and it responded. Taking an animal off to the vet to be put down isn't necessarily less traumatic. One of my dogs, a rescue dog not much bigger than a cat who we saved from being put down many years earlier, was scared having his small spindly legs shaved and the vet had trouble giving him the initial injection. So I kneeled down to his level (he was on the vet's table). I looked him in the eyes, hid my pain, smiled lovingly at him and massaged his ears and he was instantly happy. The vet then injected him with the sedative. It's an image that I will live with forever and it's making me tear up now just thinking about it but I kept it to myself because I didn't want to make the grief of the rest of my family any worse.
25-05-2014, 05:27 AM
I had to do that with a dog one time out in the country in Texas, and my stomach still turns when I think about it....... but, yes, you did the right thing.

Just the fact that it bothers you, shows that you're a good person.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
25-05-2014, 05:45 AM
As I was reading I was (as one does) guessing the ending and zipping through a few one liner options.

So I'm thinking, cool (zip: hip-cat) story about bonding with a cat (zip zip: pussy jokes) taking it home (no paws for thought) etc etc.

Before the finale, which was obviously going to be about how you mustered all your christian neighbours to chip in for the vet's bill and how the cat recovered and now has an amusing limp, I had decided to go for black humour and a joke about how the snakes and woodpeckers in your immediate vicinity should grow some fur and learn how to purr.

Then BAM! You actually shot the little fucker!

I'm speechless.

Maybe it's a cultural thing (coming from and living in a country with no guns) but that option would not have occurred to me.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
25-05-2014, 10:50 AM
I wouldda put her in my exit bag and turned on the nitrogen. Not so much to minimize the trauma to the cat as to minimize the trauma to myself. And guns are messy. And it's time to check the pressure in the nitrogen tank anyway.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-05-2014, 11:19 AM
(25-05-2014 05:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Then BAM! You actually shot the little fucker!

I'm speechless.

Maybe it's a cultural thing (coming from and living in a country with no guns) but that option would not have occurred to me.

I have to admit to wondering how you could do something like that in Britain. I tried to imagine how it could be done humanely with a spade or hammer and couldn't really see how it would be possible. Even a machete would be rather brutal for the cat. A gun instantly destroys the brain.