Did I do right?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 11:23 AM
RE: Did I do right?
One of the vets from the clinic we take our critters to lives right next door. After searching for an owner and all the other things you did KC, I would have gone to Toby's door and he would have helped me out.

Not having that advantage makes things quite different from your situation.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2014, 11:23 AM
It never would have occurred to me to shoot it. I would have taken it to the vet to see if there was anything they could do.

Injection is less horrific imo. But I'm glad you didnt just leave it to suffer.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
25-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Yes you did the right thing KC.
I just can't help but to think poor kitty and poor you Sad

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-05-2014, 11:42 AM
(25-05-2014 11:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 05:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Maybe it's a cultural thing (coming from and living in a country with no guns) but that option would not have occurred to me.

I have to admit to wondering how you could do something like that in Britain. I tried to imagine how it could be done humanely with a spade or hammer and couldn't really see how it would be possible. Even a machete would be rather brutal for the cat. A gun instantly destroys the brain.

I think a snap of the neck would be quick and instantly remove pain from the system. Reflex functions would instantly be cut off from the brain... it might take a minute or so for the brain to completely die. It might be less violent for the animal, albeit a bit more "hands-on" for the human. Maybe ... too close for comfort?

Once the decision has been made to kill, there's really no way around the emotional conflict involved.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
25-05-2014, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 02:33 PM by Metazoa Zeke.)
Well unless you are one of these people psychopath, you did the right thing. [Edit]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
25-05-2014, 12:42 PM
(25-05-2014 11:42 AM)kim Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 11:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I have to admit to wondering how you could do something like that in Britain. I tried to imagine how it could be done humanely with a spade or hammer and couldn't really see how it would be possible. Even a machete would be rather brutal for the cat. A gun instantly destroys the brain.

I think a snap of the neck would be quick and instantly remove pain from the system. Reflex functions would instantly be cut off from the brain... it might take a minute or so for the brain to completely die. It might be less violent for the animal, albeit a bit more "hands-on" for the human. Maybe ... too close for comfort?

Once the decision has been made to kill, there's really no way around the emotional conflict involved.

Snapping the neck is about the only way you could do it humanely.

I'd be very worried about doing it wrong and hurting the animal more though.

There was an injured bird around here last year... It's neck was clearly broken but it was still alive and able to run. I thought I should put it out of its misery but couldn't' bring myself to do it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2014, 12:47 PM
(24-05-2014 06:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A cat was hit by a car in my neighborhood. Her back right leg was mangled and her hip was crushed. You could see it hanging out of the socket. She could barely walk.

When I was cutting grass she was lying in my front yard. I went right up to her and she let me pet her and love on her. She even let me pick her up and was purring the whole time. we really bonded in those few minutes and she trusted me completely. I could tell she was in a considerable amount of pain and to top it off she was weezing really badly. I can only assume this was fluid on the lungs from the trauma.

I took her around to all the neighbors and found out she had no owner and people had just been giving her scraps here and there. She also had a mark on her neck where she had outgrown her kitten collar and it was never taken off. I'm assuming she worked it off or someone took it off.

Anyway, the poor cat was suffering... I'm not paying to take her to a vet or anything like that and shelters won't take stray cats.

I brought the cat in my back yard. She got really scared. I didn't want to do what I was about to do, but I could not let her suffer. she couldn't hunt or get away from danger. She looked back at me and then looked forward again. I pointed my gun at the back of her head and pulled the trigger. I shot her again just to make sure. I almost threw up.

I buried her in the woods behind my house. I'm never going to forget the image of me shooting her in the head.

Did I do the right thing?

Yes. You did a very KIND and difficult thing. Don't worry.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-05-2014, 01:10 PM
(25-05-2014 12:28 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Well unless you are one of these people

[Image: jeff_the_killer_5_by_snuffbomb-d521wlg.jpg]

[Image: clockwork_by_yaguyi-d6m9d0d.jpg]

[Image: laughing_jack_by_ayatonyaa-d6u0rf9.jpg]

you did the right thing.
I cringed so hard, I nearly died. No

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
25-05-2014, 01:12 PM
I think the same as DLJ and I would of took it to the vet, simply because I knew they would end its suffering and I wouldn't trust using anything else other than a gun.

Seeing as guns are illegal here, yet legal in the US, you did the right thing dude. With honorable, selfless intentions.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
25-05-2014, 01:15 PM
(25-05-2014 01:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 12:28 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Well unless you are one of these people

[Image: jeff_the_killer_5_by_snuffbomb-d521wlg.jpg]

[Image: clockwork_by_yaguyi-d6m9d0d.jpg]

[Image: laughing_jack_by_ayatonyaa-d6u0rf9.jpg]

you did the right thing.
I cringed so hard, I nearly died. No

Yabut you are vosur, I am pretty sure if they were real you could handle them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube