Did I just get preached to at work? What would you do in my situation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Did I just get preached to at work? What would you do in my situation?
Today at work (Navy Reserves) we were all 'treated' to a guest speaker, who was another senior enlisted sailor on what was supposed to be 'patriotism'. If you are already sighing, I'm right there with you. The speaker THOUGHT he was going to be giving his speech to a bunch of new kids who just joined...the junior guys. Well, only a minority of the sailors that were present (attendance was mandatory) were junior and he found himself giving his speech to mostly old salts and seasoned sailors. His speech was all about slavery and it's history, and how America was the first country of it's kind where all men were equal, and not servants of their tyrannical kings, dictators, and pharaohs. Nevermind the blacks, that wasn't worth mentioning. To cut to the chase he went through all these examples (which let me tell you was overly exaggerated, or straight bullshit in some cases) where it was only by the narrowest of margins that the democracy was saved, or Europe was saved, or America was saved, and how all these leaders, or the speaker himself believed it was possibly due to "divine intervention". He loved using that phrase, because he didn't have to directly say "God" while still heavily implying that that was the case. He did once throw in there "whether it was divine intervention or not is up to you to decide".

I found the whole thing pretty offensive. I will probably never see the speaker again, as he does not belong to the "base" that I drill at, but I also know that he gives this speech to young impressionable kids called "sea cadets" which is basically a program where the navy teaches boys from about 10-18 about the navy and what we do and takes them to functions in hopes to recruit them when they are of age. It's kind of like boy scouts, but for sailors that is also used as a recruiting tool.

This man is senior enlisted, been in for over 20 years, and will be intimidating to the kids, even to active duty sailors who are junior to him. That is what bothers me. I'm afraid other kids stuck with this ass for longer than a half hour speech and to afraid to speak up. Obviously I feel that he crossed a line, but I'd like others feedback as well.

Am I over-reacting? Did he cross a line? Should I bring this up to my chain of command? I don't want to go through all of the red-tape and possible retribution, especially since I am in a place that is HEAVILY dominated by Christians. I had someone get genuinely upset with me because I am not a Christian. He raised his voice to me in a knee-jerk reaction to overhearing a conversation I was in in which I admitted that I did no believe in the Christian God. He quickly apologized for his action and no harm was done, but I am suspicious that others will secretly feel the same way that that young man did and conspire against me should I make a formal complaint. What a pickle...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: Did I just get preached to at work? What would you do in my situation?
Maybe you could go to your chain of command and inquire to whom someone is to go when seeking council of a personal matter. If your commander says to go to a Chaplain, let them know that wouldn't work because you and others like you are atheist.
I'm betting they'll probably send you to a shrink. Dodgy

When they get you to someone of a secular nature, advise that person of your concerns about this guest speaker's comments and your misgivings. If they do get you to a shrink, that might be good. Who better to understand your concerns about this guy's indoctrination motives or possible agenda?

I don't know if he overstepped his bounds, but it does trouble you and I would certainly inquire about something that just doesn't sit right.

Good luck. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
12-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Frequently I get students / delegates at my courses who have been 'sent' by their boss.
Which means, of course, that they do not really want to be there and have no expectation of learning anything new.

If I cannot engage them by relating what I am talking about to what they do every day and/or what they might want in the future, I have failed.

They will leave thinking... what a twat! what a waste of time!

Any and all compulsory-attendance talks that I have ever been to, I confess that I start with a similar attitude.
Also, I am old and jaded so the speaker has to be pretty fucking special (and I mean TED Talks kinda special) to prevent me from just walking out.

My point:
Very few minds will have been changed by this speaker.

Let it go.

The deeper issue that it is permitted at all.

It is a very interesting and, indeed, encouraging indicator that the g-word was avoided. That would not have been the case 50 years ago.

The next indicator I would be looking for is when you start to get talks from non-christian theists and then (even better) non-theists.

Have you considered putting yourself forward as a speaker?

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
12-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Oh hell. I could even accept when people say "luck" in some cases, but I can't deal with the "god did it" stuff. God was with the nazis, too, according to the nazis. In fact, everybody who believes in god seems to think god is on their side.

I'm not familiar with the military chain of command and whether or not they give a damn about this sort of thing. I'd guess they'd act like it was no big deal and you should just suck it up, because in most places people ignore anyone who complains about christian bias.

Also, what DLJ said. The deeper issue is that this is commonplace and no one bats an eye. Imagine if a speaker came in and said, "if it weren't for the help of our glorious beelzebub, America wouldn't be where it is today." There would be an uproar. To me, it's not so much offensive because dude believes this, it's offensive because he is implying that you and everyone else believe this. Personally, I get upset when people automatically assume I believe in supernatural stuff.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey, Dark Light.

Well first of all, the guy sounds like a bit of a tool. So there's that.

Secondly.... uhm.... your job is to kill people. In speaking to Sea Cadets, he's trying to get those young impressionable kids to want to kill people. Is the fact that this guy is a little Jesus crazy the real issue here in terms of the well being of these young impressionable kids?

I think question number one is, did he break any regulations? If he did, make with the redress of grievance and get this guy charged. If he didn't break a regulation, well, why would anyone care that you don't agree with what he said? I imagine they'd say, "sounds like a personal problem to me."

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
12-01-2013, 10:32 PM
It seems you were, but not at all sure if there is anything you can do about it.

However thank you for your service.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-01-2013, 10:43 PM
kim,

I have the option to seek out a chaplain or psychologist if I have a problem, either one. However, you don't got to a psychologist unless you have psychological issues. I have no problem speaking with a chaplain if I ever needed to, but I probably wouldn't. To the Navy's credit I will say that the chaplains do NOT push their religion on you. The are always cool, friendly people, and respectful of you. They are trained to be like that, and if one steps out of line he (or I suppose she, though I've never seen a female chaplain) would be on the first thing smokin' out of the Navy. That isn't the issue I was raising here anyhow.

DLJ,

That's kind of what I was thinking as well...maybe I am making to big a deal of it all, but obviously it did bother me. It's been in the back of my head all day long. Could I get up in front of the command and give a motivational speech? In theory, yes, I could request it, and they would probably allow me to. However, I cannot speak publicly. I stutter, I stammer, I get nervous, my mind goes blank, it would be a disaster. I would have no problem whatsoever with giving training and speaking about a topic on subject matter, and have indeed done so on numerous occasions. I've done sexual assault training, suicide awareness training, operational risk management, stress management, etc with no problem....but as soon as it goes from 'training' to 'speech', it gets ugly. I'm better than I once was, but I still got a way to go before I become a good speaker. I also have no problem barking orders to semi-large groups when the situation calls for it. Speaker? Nah...pass.

Matt aka Ghost,

Well, I'd have to disagree with your assessment, they are trying to keep fresh faces in the ranks, sure. My job is also not to "kill people". My job may require me to take a life should the need arise, but my job is not "assassin". Did he break a reg.? I don't know, he was certainly straddling the line of what is 'okay' and 'not okay', and he was obviously was careful to leave out the word "God" so he knew he was cutting it close. I'm not sure, and probably an officer would have to make that assessment if I made a formal complaint against the guy. It isn't cut a dry. The thing is I would have no problem if he and I were having a private conversation and he said he thought God was on whoever's side, the problem is he is going from place to place and borderline forcibly preaching about divine intervention, that is what bothers me. If I had the option to just walk off, I would have also been okay with it, the thing is we did not have that option...not without reprisal at least. That's what pissed me off.

MSBB,

Thanks anyway, and no need to thank me.

Girly,

I know your kinda upset with some forum shit, but I was hoping you might weigh in here as this is right up your alley. If your lurking give me your 2 cents here, or PM me.

12-01-2013, 11:00 PM
(12-01-2013 10:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
I stutter, I stammer, I get nervous, my mind goes blank, it would be a disaster.

Yup. That's how I started.

I started doing amateur dramatics (had to learn to tap dance in 3 months!) to help master the adrenaline issues.

Sticking to subjects you know and stir your passion is indeed the key.

If you can do training, then you can do speaking... no excuses... you are the solution to this problem.

(12-01-2013 10:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
sexual assault training,

Where do I sign up?

I've never been very good at sexual assault. Is there an exam?

Angel

12-01-2013, 11:55 PM
(12-01-2013 11:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup. That's how I started.

I started doing amateur dramatics (had to learn to tap dance in 3 months!) to help master the adrenaline issues.

Sticking to subjects you know and stir your passion is indeed the key.

If you can do training, then you can do speaking... no excuses... you are the solution to this problem.
I took a speech class in college last semester. It helped, but I still have a ways to go, I'm just not a natural born speaker. I may be able to give acceptable speeches, but I don't have a politicians silver tongue and never well. I do tend to speak much better when it's something I care about though, I'd much rather do a back and forth like Milton Friedman or Richard Dawkins.
Quote:...
sexual assault training,
DLJ Wrote:Where do I sign up?

I've never been very good at sexual assault. Is there an exam?
Big Grin

There is an exam, and it's oral, hope you've been practicing.

13-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Wait, back the crazy train up a little.
There's a boy scouts like thing where they indoctrinate kids 10-18 towards joining the armed forces??

That's a little fucked up.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]