Did Isaiah Believe in Bigfoot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2012, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2012 08:01 PM by Starcrash.)
Did Isaiah Believe in Bigfoot?
*NOTE: Sorry about the font size changes, but this thread is a bitch. It keeps deleting information, and I'm tired of fighting with it.

Some choice excerpts from the book of Isaiah, found in the bible (copied from the Skeptic's Annotated Bible):

11:8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice ' den.

27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

30:6 The burden of the beasts of the south: into the land of trouble and anguish, from whence come the young and old lion, the viper and fiery flying serpent , they will carry their riches upon the shoulders of young asses, and their treasures upon the bunches of camels, to a people that shall not profit them.

34:7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

34:13 And thorns shall come up in her palaces, nettles and brambles in the fortresses thereof: and it shall be an habitation of dragons , and a court for owls.

34:14 The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest.

The prophet Isaiah treated the bible like his own cryptozoology blog. It's rumored that he died in his search for Cthulhu.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
26-04-2012, 08:13 PM
RE: Did Isaiah Believe in Bigfoot?
Perhaps he could have used this tool:
[Image: 544682_3795282039271_1193812967_33744445...7598_n.jpg]

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Debzilla's post
26-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Ezekiel believed in UFOs so why not Bigfoot as well?

[Image: ezekielswheel.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
26-04-2012, 08:28 PM
For someone like myself who has a rather disgusting mind there was a large number of innuendo in that had me silently chuckling to myself in my head.

It's funny to think that all believes in God must accept these creatures as being, once upon a time, fact. After all, the bible IS the word of God is it not.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
26-04-2012, 08:37 PM
They did have alcohol back then.
I've seen some weird shit after a dozen shots of jagermeister.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
26-04-2012, 08:52 PM
(26-04-2012 08:37 PM)Thomas Wrote:  They did have alcohol back then.
I've seen some weird shit after a dozen shots of jagermeister.

After a few Jager Bombs, I see monsters......so I call it Jager-monster!! Drooling

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes publius2k4's post
27-04-2012, 12:21 AM
In all fairness, you're using a translation from te 17th century. I can't say for sure, but I doubt you'll find the Hebrew translates to those mythical creatures. Modern translations don't have unicorns and I think leviathan is usually translated as large sea creature, like a whale. Of course many YEC's will say the leviathan was a dinosaur and explains why we find fossils.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-04-2012, 03:18 AM
(27-04-2012 12:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  In all fairness, you're using a translation from te 17th century. I can't say for sure, but I doubt you'll find the Hebrew translates to those mythical creatures. Modern translations don't have unicorns and I think leviathan is usually translated as large sea creature, like a whale. Of course many YEC's will say the leviathan was a dinosaur and explains why we find fossils.
Convenient that all the weird stuff like leviathans magically disappear, especially unicorns.

I don't get this, if the original said there were unicorns then how can remove that a few hundred years later because it doesn't fit in with modern conception? Isn't that cheating?
If the original, the word of God himself (apparently), said there was unicorn then who are you, as a mare mortal, to change it? After all, it's not like today there was unicorns long ago but tomorrow there wasn't, it doesn't work like that.

Theists have to accept this BS that there was these mythical beasts because the bible said so. If they don't believe in unicorns then they believe the bible is a lie and hence is not the word of God.
Hence, all theists who believe in the bible, believe in unicorns.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-04-2012, 05:46 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 05:54 AM by San Onofre Surfer.)
Love the thread ... just a litle FYI ... from the nerd/deconstructing-the-bible/peanut gallery ...
There were many "Isaiahs"... whose writings were assembled into that text.
The first, termed "Proto Isaiah" (chapters 1–39), contains the writings of an the 8th-century BCE "prophet" with 7th-century BCE "expansions"; the second, Deutero-Isaiah (chapters 40–55), better known to us nerds as "Second Isaiah", is the work of a 6th-century BCE author writing at the end of the Babylonian captivity; (probably in Assyria) and the third, the poet Trito-Isaiah (chapters 56–66), or Third Isaiah, was composed, (almost certainly) in Jerusalem shortly after the return from exile, probably by many authors. The most dangerous thing to Theism, is some actual historical knowledge of how the Babble was assembled. No "inspiration" needed, or evident .... anywhere. Bit by bit, piece by piece, it falls apart. Weeping

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
27-04-2012, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 08:53 AM by Erxomai.)
(27-04-2012 03:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 12:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  In all fairness, you're using a translation from te 17th century. I can't say for sure, but I doubt you'll find the Hebrew translates to those mythical creatures. Modern translations don't have unicorns and I think leviathan is usually translated as large sea creature, like a whale. Of course many YEC's will say the leviathan was a dinosaur and explains why we find fossils.
Convenient that all the weird stuff like leviathans magically disappear, especially unicorns.

I don't get this, if the original said there were unicorns then how can remove that a few hundred years later because it doesn't fit in with modern conception? Isn't that cheating?
If the original, the word of God himself (apparently), said there was unicorn then who are you, as a mare mortal, to change it? After all, it's not like today there was unicorns long ago but tomorrow there wasn't, it doesn't work like that.

Theists have to accept this BS that there was these mythical beasts because the bible said so. If they don't believe in unicorns then they believe the bible is a lie and hence is not the word of God.
Hence, all theists who believe in the bible, believe in unicorns.
In this specific case, it's not changing the "original." The King James Version was created in the 1600's using manuscripts that aren't as old as manuscripts that have been found since then. In other words, it was a translation of copies of manuscripts and much was translated from a Latin translation of the Greek and Hebrew. So when people in the 1600s were trying to translate words they didn't really fully understand the meaning of, then they used words that were common at that time. I have more Bibles than most people should have. Only 1 of those uses the word "Unicorn" and that's the King James Version. So you can't say that theists have to believe in unicorns because the bible says so, because the bible doesn't really say so.

By the way, I'm not happy to be in a position of defending the Bible, it's just that atheists need to be more accurate when we attack it.

(27-04-2012 05:46 AM)San Onofre Surfer Wrote:  The most dangerous thing to Theism, is some actual historical knowledge of how the Babble was assembled. No "inspiration" needed, or evident .... anywhere. Bit by bit, piece by piece, it falls apart. Weeping
Not very many Christians would agree with you. Sadly it's even greater inspiration for the True Believer...any old run-of-the-mill deity or faker could come along and give you a holy book on golden tablets, but YHWH was able to pull his special book together using hundreds of authors over many centuries and several continents to create a holy, God-breathed book that is the consistent, non-contradicting, inerrant word of God. That's why it's so revered.

~Izel