Poll: Did Jesus Exist?
He was a real person.
Jesus is a complete myth.
He may have been real, but has become so shrouded by myth that we can't know anything about him.
Other- please explain.
[Show Results]

Did Jesus Exist? Or Was He a Myth?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
22-02-2014, 12:47 PM
I know we've talked about the topic quite a bit... but, I haven't seen any polls. What do you think? Are the stories of Jesus based on (a) real person(s)? Or was he completely made up?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: Did Jesus Exist? Or Was He a Myth?
Can't be certain, but he was probably made up. Nor Jews or Romans had records of him, and the gospels don't count much. One can argue that every document about him was destroyed, but there is no evidence of that either.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
[+] 1 user Likes Alexandro's post
22-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Strip away all the later additions to the text of the gospels, the directly contradictory references, the places where books blatantly copied from each other, and you don't really get a lot left to work with.
There may have been a real person or group of people that the stories are loosely based on, but that is long lost to history.
22-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Oops! I meant to pick "Hey may have been real, but has become so shrouded by myth that we can't know anything about him."

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
22-02-2014, 01:35 PM
(22-02-2014 01:19 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:  Strip away all the later additions to the text of the gospels, the directly contradictory references, the places where books blatantly copied from each other, and you don't really get a lot left to work with.
There may have been a real person or group of people that the stories are loosely based on, but that is long lost to history.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroaster

[Image: uty2yhez.jpg]

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
22-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Did Jesus exist? Or was he a myth? Myth, its an amalgamation of previous myths.

Zoroaster pictured above, I believe was the only person who lived and created a religion whilst he was alive.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes jersonf's post
22-02-2014, 02:14 PM
(22-02-2014 01:50 PM)jersonf Wrote:  Did Jesus exist? Or was he a myth? Myth, its an amalgamation of previous myths.

Zoroaster pictured above, I believe was the only person who lived and created a religion whilst he was alive.

What about Joseph Smith.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
[+] 3 users Like Alexandro's post
22-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Something I've just thought of... Why is the Catholic Church so obsessed with relics? To the point of hoarding them... Its as if they'll accept anything that could possibly be a relic of Jesus, even if the chances are 1 in a billion.

It reminds me of how the Nazis attempted to fake their own mythology. They even created a fake Holy Grail with carved Pagan runes in an attempt to convince people that Nazism was an ancient Germanic religion.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2014, 02:22 PM
(22-02-2014 02:14 PM)Alexandro Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 01:50 PM)jersonf Wrote:  Did Jesus exist? Or was he a myth? Myth, its an amalgamation of previous myths.

What about Joseph Smith.

That's a branch of Christianity.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2014, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2014 03:12 PM by Alexandro.)
(22-02-2014 02:22 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 02:14 PM)Alexandro Wrote:  What about Joseph Smith.

That's a branch of Christianity.

Most christians wouldn't agree with that.

[+] 1 user Likes Alexandro's post