Poll: Did Jesus Exist?
He was a real person.
Jesus is a complete myth.
He may have been real, but has become so shrouded by myth that we can't know anything about him.
Other- please explain.
[Show Results]

Did Jesus Exist? Or Was He a Myth?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
08-10-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: Did Jesus Exist? Or Was He a Myth?
(08-10-2014 10:28 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 10:10 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There are experts in the field that say he didn't exist, at least not in any way as described... so what is it you are implying?

What are such easier targets? The point of Jesus is because his existence is tied inherently to Christianity. If he didn't exist, it makes most Christians understanding and belief in it incorrect.

That's what I mean... it's so much of an agenda that some atheists can't even think straight..

So what you mean is something you could of stated but said something entirely different and nonsensical for?

Well most atheists don't even bother with the question or researching it. It's only a select few that have it as an interest.

The idea that "they can't think straight" because of an agenda is lopsided so much. It entirely applies both ways, and would definitely apply moreso to the people who hedge their belief upon a concept. It's more significant to them than to someone who has an interest in the idea merely.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 10:40 AM
(08-10-2014 10:32 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 10:28 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  That's what I mean... it's so much of an agenda that some atheists can't even think straight..

So what you mean is something you could of stated but said something entirely different and nonsensical for?

Well most atheists don't even bother with the question or researching it. It's only a select few that have it as an interest.

The idea that "they can't think straight" because of an agenda is lopsided so much. It entirely applies both ways, and would definitely apply moreso to the people who hedge their belief upon a concept. It's more significant to them than to someone who has an interest in the idea merely.

Let's just say that I like researching topics. I spent literally years researching the topics of evolution, creationism and Intelligent Design. I obviously agree that evolution happened.

Lately, I've been researching the historicity of Jesus... I was into the Christ Myth theory for a while, but now obviously agree with the majority of historians who are experts in the field of ancient history, that he did exist.

The only problem I have is that when I share my views with other atheists.. some of them want to make an issue of it.. it's like they believe that to be an atheist automatically means one believes that Jesus was mythical in nature...

Sorry. I don't have a belief in any god/God/gods.. but, I still accept that the experts in the field of ancient history are correct when they accept that Jesus was a historical figure.
08-10-2014, 10:46 AM
(08-10-2014 10:40 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 10:32 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  So what you mean is something you could of stated but said something entirely different and nonsensical for?

Let's just say that I like researching topics. I spent literally years researching the topics of evolution, creationism and Intelligent Design. I obviously agree that evolution happened.

Lately, I've been researching the historicity of Jesus... I was into the Christ Myth theory for a while, but now obviously agree with the majority of historians who are experts in the field of ancient history, that he did exist.

The only problem I have is that when I share my views with other atheists.. some of them want to make an issue of it.. it's like they believe that to be an atheist automatically means one believes that Jesus was mythical in nature...

Sorry. I don't have a belief in any god/God/gods.. but, I still accept that the experts in the field of ancient history are correct when they accept that Jesus was a historical figure.

Sorry, but I think you're completely being disingenuous if you are to have people believe most of your connections with atheists are them thinking one must believe Jesus was mythical in nature.

Or you're using a limited sample size as something relevant.

What comes off as limiting in your post here is how in this manner it indicates it as an all or naught claim. That jesus is mythical or A figure, because of the concept of him being a figure anywhere close to his description or not based on multiple people is still one of contention to many experts.

08-10-2014, 10:49 AM
(08-10-2014 10:27 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 10:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm not rejecting history - quit being fucking stupid.

You are really not listening. History is not a hard science. You can't compare them.
Tell Carrier to give up his degree then... maybe he should try Intelligent Design instead.. or try to convince people to stop immunizing their children...,

Now you are being offensively stupid.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2014, 10:50 AM
@ClydeLee

^meh.. It deserves further study....if I get a chance...

But, no.. I'm not being disingenuous. the atheists I've met in organizations with "atheist" in the title? in general, yes, they have a hard time accepting that an atheist could accept that Jesus is a historical figure...

It's turned me off. I probably won't get involved with any groups with "atheist" in the title in the future... It's just not worth it.

And yes, they are probably decent people... and not every atheist believes that Jesus was a myth...
08-10-2014, 10:52 AM
(08-10-2014 10:30 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 09:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  In what?

Logic. Logical fallacies.. Epistemology (I know, it's a big word.. it means the study of how to tell the difference between justified beliefs and opinions). Rational arguments.

That's hilarious, oh king of non sequitur and appeal to authority. Fuck off.

08-10-2014, 10:52 AM
(08-10-2014 10:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 10:27 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Tell Carrier to give up his degree then... maybe he should try Intelligent Design instead.. or try to convince people to stop immunizing their children...,

Now you are being offensively stupid.

As stupid as admitting you that (Chas) reject the entire field of the study of history?
08-10-2014, 10:54 AM
(08-10-2014 10:52 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 10:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  Now you are being offensively stupid.

As stupid as admitting you that (Chas) reject the entire field of the study of history?

Please quote me saying that. When you can't, I expect an apology.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2014, 10:55 AM
(08-10-2014 10:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 10:30 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Logic. Logical fallacies.. Epistemology (I know, it's a big word.. it means the study of how to tell the difference between justified beliefs and opinions). Rational arguments.

That's hilarious, oh king of non sequitur and appeal to authority. Fuck off.

Thank you.. I think I will enjoy a pleasant sexual experience....Yes
08-10-2014, 10:56 AM
(08-10-2014 10:50 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  @ClydeLee

^meh.. It deserves further study....if I get a chance...

But, no.. I'm not being disingenuous. the atheists I've met in organizations with "atheist" in the title? in general, yes, they have a hard time accepting that an atheist could accept that Jesus is a historical figure...

It's turned me off. I probably won't get involved with any groups with "atheist" in the title in the future... It's just not worth it.

And yes, they are probably decent people... and not every atheist believes that Jesus was a myth...

I don't know, I literally can't take someone honestly if they claim to be so fickle as one trivial disagreement with people on one topic is something that makes them distance themselves.

And your kind of baiting and dishonest posts back and forth with Chas makes you seem hardly believable so far.

[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post