Poll: Did Jesus Exist?
He was a real person.
Jesus is a complete myth.
He may have been real, but has become so shrouded by myth that we can't know anything about him.
Other- please explain.
[Show Results]

Did Jesus Exist? Or Was He a Myth?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
08-10-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: Did Jesus Exist? Or Was He a Myth?
(08-10-2014 11:08 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't understand why the experts in the field of ancient history should be taken seriously.

^ Is that what you're trying to say? Maybe you should ask Richard Carrier. He's the one with the degree.

Misquoting people is not only dishonest, but an obvious sign of desperation. No wonder you're anonymous if you can't do better. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
08-10-2014, 11:46 AM
(08-10-2014 11:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 11:08 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  ^ Is that what you're trying to say? Maybe you should ask Richard Carrier. He's the one with the degree.

Now you're just a sleazy little liar.

That was malicious and dishonest, you shameful little troll.

Tried to warn you.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
08-10-2014, 11:53 AM
(08-10-2014 06:58 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 04:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes I am.

Look Bucky.. try to stay with me here..

My premise is that a majority of the experts in the field of ancient history accept that Jesus is a historical figure. I even provided multiple sources to attest to that fact.. If you don't agree with my premise.. then there isn't much to talk about..

I would challenge you to call or email a professor in a secular college of your choice and talk to someone in their classics department and ask them what they think of the historicity of Jesus, and what they make of Carrier's claims..

It's one thing to claim that Carrier is a mainstream scholar who is merely telling us what other experts (he is trained in ancient history and the classics) in the same field accept....

it's quite another to admit that Carrier is disagreeing with what a vast majority of the other experts in the field are saying (you know, kinda like what Stephen Meyer does).

Carrier is making extraordinary claims in that he is claiming that the body of scholarship in the area of ancient history is wrong when they accept that Jesus did exist in history. He will need to provide extraordinary evidence in order to convince the other experts in the field.. So far, he has failed (like Stephen Meyer failed).

Carrier provides all kinds of evidence in his videos and books which apparently you are too unschooled to discuss or even recognize.

And BTW, ("as does the fellow who proved that stomach ulcers are caused by a virus, not stress") some stomach ulcers are caused by a BACTERIA, H. Pylori, not a virus. Yet, another field you want to pretend to discuss, yet know nothing about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-10-2014, 12:14 PM
(08-10-2014 08:07 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Richard Carrier's talk at Zetiticon is up on AronRa's channel:

Thanks Haffy.

There are a few things that I definitively like about his approach.

In particular his use of the scientific method of putting forward a hypothesis and then seeking peer review. Each one of his premises can be challenged, debated, discussed.

Something I always look for is the use of the principles of evolution. Myths, legends etc. seem evolve in much the same way was language evolves so I would expect to see the merging of cultural ideas over time and isolated pockets (islands) of ideas that change slowly, morphing independently according to their local environment and then becoming extinct or changing later when in contact with other cultures.
We should see the emergence of the 'fittest' ideas and the disappearance of transitional forms.

Carrier's hypothesis fits that quite well.

It will be interesting to see what comes from the peer review and how much and whether, Carrier will address any criticisms that come from that.

(08-10-2014 09:17 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  ...
and then you got snippy.

Don't take it personally, it's his way. It becomes quite endearing after a while.

Wink

08-10-2014, 12:20 PM
(08-10-2014 12:14 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Don't take it personally, it's his way. It becomes quite endearing after a while.

Wink

Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-10-2014, 12:32 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0142196339...ot_redir=1

One of my favs.

08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
(08-10-2014 12:32 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0142196339...ot_redir=1

One of my favs.

Have you read Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2014, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 01:01 PM by WitchSabrina.)
(08-10-2014 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 12:32 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0142196339...ot_redir=1

One of my favs.

Have you read Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus?

No i haven't. Thanks Chas. Ill check it out.
Amazon here i come.

Thanks

Edit:
Ordered. Will arrive amazon prime in 2 days!!

Y ay!

It'll be like the best $8 ever spent huh?

08-10-2014, 01:10 PM
(08-10-2014 12:54 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  It'll be like the best $8 ever spent huh?

If it is then you have led far too sheltered a life!
Big Grin

It's a good book, as is "Jesus, Interrupted", also by Erhman.

Those are probably approved by the OP since Ehrman is a historicist and agrees with the herd consensus so his arguments are acceptable.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
(08-10-2014 01:10 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 12:54 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  It'll be like the best $8 ever spent huh?

If it is then you have led far too sheltered a life!
Big Grin

It's a good book, as is "Jesus, Interrupted", also by Erhman.

Those are probably approved by the OP since Ehrman is a historicist and agrees with the herd consensus so his arguments are acceptable.
Drinking Beverage

Sheltered life? Probably. Lol
What you got for $8??
Lol

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post