Did Jesus commit suicide?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Did Jesus commit suicide?
Supposedly he knew what was going to happen to him, that is if you believe all this rot to begin with. And isn't suicide a sin?

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2014, 07:30 PM
RE: Did Jesus commit suicide?
(13-07-2014 07:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Supposedly he knew what was going to happen to him, that is if you believe all this rot to begin with. And isn't suicide a sin?

He didn't actually die by his own hand. Not stopping your death isn't the same as causing your own death intentionally.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-07-2014, 07:39 PM
So if you go stand on a rail road track its the train's fault?

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
13-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I would say yes - he saw it as his purpose to die and thus he's committing suicide by purposefully getting himself killed.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
13-07-2014, 07:55 PM
But it's supposed to be a self sacrifice. If I allow myself to die so that my wife might live I don't think that would be considered a sin.
13-07-2014, 07:55 PM
It was not his plan. He just didn't stop the plan.

If you plan your death, then kill yourself, that's suicide.

If you stand on the train tracks and see the train coming it's stupidity not to move. If you find out when a train is coming by and go there with the intention of dying, that's suicide.

Was Jesus' death suicide - I say no because he saw it coming and did nothing to avoid it. It was stupid; or natural selection.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-07-2014, 07:56 PM
(13-07-2014 07:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Supposedly he knew what was going to happen to him, that is if you believe all this rot to begin with. And isn't suicide a sin?

No, it's all explained by "the Trinity". You see, there's something about a "Godhead", and they have... distinct personalities and knowledge, I think? But it's not polytheistic because it's just one god. It all makes sense, really.

Of course, if you accept the whole trinity mumbo jumbo, you are left with the Father totally having foreknowledge of the slaughter he was sending his son to, but it's cool, really. He knew he'd come back from the dead, and that's a far cry short of what he's done to countless humans, anyway, so, there's that.

Oh, Trinity, you so crazy!
13-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Re: Did Jesus commit suicide?
In the book of judas it was his plan so it's kinda borderline.

Obviously he could of turned that cross into breadsticks if he truly wanted to survive.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-07-2014, 08:10 PM
(13-07-2014 08:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  In the book of judas it was his plan so it's kinda borderline.

Obviously he could of turned that cross into breadsticks if he truly wanted to survive.

Breadsticks would have gone well with the fish. And not that much of a stretch from loaves.

Or maybe that's what the Bible meant by loaves...Consider

13-07-2014, 08:22 PM
There may be a few kernels of what happened in the gospels. If he really was a trouble-maker in Jerusalem, ("over-turning" the tables of the money-changers) the the Pax Romana would have summarily executed him, and all the rest was cooked up filler. The entire economy of the city was based on temple festivals and sacrificial tourism. The priests had fees for everything, including the purchase of the animals, (to say nothing about the raising and keeping and feeding of the hundreds of thousands of animals) and all the ritual bathing and dressing and inns for the visitors from entire region, where everyone came in hoards to celebrate the festivals and do their sacrifice offerings. The Roman currency was "unclean". Anything associated with the temple had to be paid in Jewish currency, by ritual custom. And along comes yet another preacher-hippie-miracle-worker- dude who says "the end is nigh", and messes with THE most important central economic function of the city's economy. Who knows if he knew what he was messing with. But by "standing order" any trouble maker in the provinces was executed in the Pax Romana. No trial.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post