Did Jesus commit suicide?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: Did Jesus commit suicide?
Does it count as suicide when you know you're going to come back? That sounds more like intentionally knocking yourself into a coma.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
13-07-2014, 08:36 PM
(13-07-2014 07:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Supposedly he knew what was going to happen to him, that is if you believe all this rot to begin with. And isn't suicide a sin?

I'm not sure; according to myth, good ol' Yeshua was the official scapegoat for sin, as declared by himself as per his father's decision. However, Yeshua and Yahweh are often considered essentially the same being, so he'd have voluntarily been going to his own planned 'death'.
Guess that's half a point to suicide.

But if I recall, he did have a moment or two where he pleaded with god (who was his father and himself) to not go through with it and to let him live. He was even accounted to have said 'why have you forsaken me.', implying that he felt abandoned by god, who was clearly not helping him.
Guess those are a couple points against, as he was clearly not willing to die.
But those points might be dismissed as the accounts of his words and actions vary greatly, and sometimes don't match up at all.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-07-2014, 08:39 PM
(13-07-2014 07:55 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But it's supposed to be a self sacrifice. If I allow myself to die so that my wife might live I don't think that would be considered a sin.

Who said suicide was a sin?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
13-07-2014, 09:05 PM
(13-07-2014 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It was not his plan. He just didn't stop the plan.

If you plan your death, then kill yourself, that's suicide.

If you stand on the train tracks and see the train coming it's stupidity not to move. If you find out when a train is coming by and go there with the intention of dying, that's suicide.

Was Jesus' death suicide - I say no because he saw it coming and did nothing to avoid it. It was stupid; or natural selection.

Ya'but, he sent himself to be killed for himself.

It's more like calling a hitman and paying him to kill yourself.

Or maybe that's a loophole. Perhaps Catholics who want to commit suicide, but don't want to eternally burn in hell, just need to hire a hitman to do it for them.

13-07-2014, 09:18 PM
(13-07-2014 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It was not his plan. He just didn't stop the plan.

If you plan your death, then kill yourself, that's suicide.

If you stand on the train tracks and see the train coming it's stupidity not to move. If you find out when a train is coming by and go there with the intention of dying, that's suicide.

Was Jesus' death suicide - I say no because he saw it coming and did nothing to avoid it. It was stupid; or natural selection.

Just to clarify your analogy; "God"/"Jesus"/"Ghost-thingy" was chilling up on a cloud looking down at the earth, saw a train coming and said to "himself(s)", "Hey self(s), lets go down there and stand in front of that train so we can be killed by it".

Then "God"/"Jesus"/"Ghost-thingy", replied to himself(s), "No. You go down and get killed by that train. We'll stay up here, or everywhere...or whatever...".

So then "God"/"Jesus"/"Ghost-thingy" when down to the train by "himself" with out "himselves", and stood in front of the train and got killed, like "himselves" planed, and then "he" rejoined "himselves".

Thus he totes committed suicide.

The End

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
13-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Either way, it's all....

[Image: 4d6239_191904.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-07-2014, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014 10:44 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(13-07-2014 08:39 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(13-07-2014 07:55 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But it's supposed to be a self sacrifice. If I allow myself to die so that my wife might live I don't think that would be considered a sin.

Who said suicide was a sin?

Well because I'm playing along with this silly scenario according to the Christian tradition suicide is a sin. I mean isn't that like the whole point of this hypothetical conversation?
I mean you did read and comprehend the original post. Right?
Perhaps I'll explain for clarity.
You see the OP stated that because Jesus knew what would happen and didn't stop it he is guilty of suicide. Then the question is put forth "isn't suicide a sin?" This seem to be a rhetorical question. The OP seems to be aware that suicide is a sin according to Christianity and was obviously making a point.
I was simply pointing out that while in this context suicide is a sin in this scenario it is not because it is self sacrifice.
You see I don't believe in sin. I was just playing along.
Edited.
13-07-2014, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014 10:51 PM by sporehux.)
Yes and no, the answer is Cats.

[Image: imgur-8.gif]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
14-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Did Jesus commit suicide?
Jesus made specific actions meant to bring about his own death, that makes it suicide. He went out of his way to piss off the religious authorities knowing they would kill him, then he refused to run away to save himself. Then when questioned by Pilate he gave an answer he knew would get him killed. Suicide.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
14-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Suicide or sacrifice, its subjective.
[Image: 9735083.jpg] [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-qFCkq7qY38_UO6N4mOm...pZ_soHRRv1]
But as Jesus and his "sacrifice/suicide" was fictional, its sort of moot.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".