Did Judaism Start The Concept Of An All-Powerful God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Did Judaism Start The Concept Of An All-Powerful God?
It seems that, in most ancient religions, the gods were never omniscient or omnipotent, they were more like humans with superpowers, and could be wounded and sometimes even die. Then comes along Judaism with it's concept of one god, an all powerful, all knowing, immortal, eternal god. This led to the popular image of a god in the modern world. Was Judaism the first religion with this concept, or was it already part of other faiths?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 08:27 PM
RE: Did Judaism Start The Concept Of An All-Powerful God?
I take it you haven't read the Old Testament/Torah? The god depicted there (discarding references to other gods) can be lied to, hidden from, makes mistakes, is hypocritical in actions and judgements, etc.

The framework of an "all knowing, all powerful, all perfect, etc" came much much later.

note: discarding, again, references to other gods that were made, true monotheistic religions arose earlier.
27-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Judaism was not monotheistic, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZY2eeozdo8
until it was insisted upon by the king and prophets for political reasons after the Exile. Yahweh had a wife, who was worshiped in many places, including Beth-El, Dan, and Jerusalem, (Her name was Ashera, or Ahsura). Archaeologists have found statues if her in most of the worship sites Yahweh was worhiped. There are many examples, (including the First Commandment), where the Jews worshed other gods. Yahweh was certainly NOT "all-powerful". The Jews also were not the first culture to attempt to impose monotheism. The Egyptians tried it for a while, but all the "displaced" priests rebelled, and dumped it, so they could go back to having a job description.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-02-2013, 09:23 PM
(27-02-2013 08:27 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I take it you haven't read the Old Testament/Torah? The god depicted there (discarding references to other gods) can be lied to, hidden from, makes mistakes, is hypocritical in actions and judgements, etc.

The framework of an "all knowing, all powerful, all perfect, etc" came much much later.

note: discarding, again, references to other gods that were made, true monotheistic religions arose earlier.
I Have, actually, but I got lazy and didn't type it. I Recall in Genesis, he actually has to come down to earth to see how Sodom and Gommorah are doing, and there are verses were it seems he "tries" to do something, which would imply the possibility of failure. I Was mostly referring to later Judaism, post-Babylonian Captivity.
27-02-2013, 09:35 PM
The concept evolved into Judaism post-Babylonian as you stated... because they got that concept from Zoroastrianism.

Some anthropologists I've read or seen tidbits of are thinking that the Akhenaten could of been the first person of power to postulate the case for there just being one legit all overseeing deity.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-02-2013, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 10:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Actually the busness of why and when the Hebrews came to accept, (or were forced to accept by their leaders), monotheism had more to do with social changes after the exile, than any "idea", which had always been a possibility. The extended family structure was damaged during and after the Exile, and as "individualism" began an ascent, post Exile, as opposed to the old family structures of groups, so did Yahweh as an individual unitary god. It also had a lot to do with power and control. The Yahwist priests who were centered locally in Jerusalem wanted total power and control. They were not interested in other worship sites , and their local gods as rivals. So they insisted that the major festivals be ONLY celebrated in Jerusalem, and a central temple, and thus the ONLY god allowed was Yahweh. The entire history of Judaism, and Yahweh is 100 % explained by, and should be shifted to , the Poly Sci Department, from the Religion Department. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...olden+Calf

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post