Did Mary exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2017, 02:19 PM
RE: Did Mary exist?
(13-12-2017 12:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-12-2017 11:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Do you have more information on that? I've heard mythicist stances that state he started as a spiritual entity, and then was reflavored into a physical one, but I haven't heard this stance.

Look up David Fitzgerald ... I think one or more of his YouTube talks, lists all the possible messiahs floating around at the time, including "a surfeit of Jesuses".

Fitzgerald, btw, as humorous in person as he is on YouTube or in his books. He signed my copy of Vol.1 of Jesus Mything in Action with "Yours in Christ". And I can't remember the video title, but he does have one of his mythicism ones that goes into that and the Josephus forgeries and how Josephus even gave some random shepherd a few paragraphs, but "oh and he was the Christ" only gets a line, why does that seem fishy?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
13-12-2017, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2017 03:57 PM by Catharina de Aragon.)
I'd argue that the " male based values" was more of an economic+demographic thing than a religious one (initially). Granted, religion did help like crazy, but I suspect it was just the usual "moving close to those who have a bit of leverage and helping solidify it, and then growing enough by parasiting on that group to actually impose its values" than an imposition from the start. (I don't know much about it though, so please double check this)
...And c'mon! Mundane? Mary and the Saints are the best part of Catholicism! Not only because they are as pagan as one can get, but because they all come with a "I trust on ascended humans because, after looking around, I have the unspoken suspicion that God is either an idiot or a complete asshole" written on them.

And who can dislike the idea of telling on Jesus to his mom? Tongue

"Jesus of Jerusalem! Come here this instant! A lovely lady told me you want to send her very nice husband to hell! What is this nonsense?"
"But Mom! He earned it!"
"Really? What did the poor old guy do, mind you?"
"Well, he was kinda sining a lot, and stuff, and he was mean to me! And this one time..."
"Were they sorry?"
"Well...Yeah... Kind of, but..."
"Then that is it! "
"But they died without confession!"
"Oh, yeah? And whose's fault is that?Hm?"
"But Mom...!"
"No but Mom! Do I need to put you on my knee again!"
"Mom! I'm thirty three!WTF! I'm eternal"
"Yeah? Well, then you should start acting your age and stop picking on little kids!"

About jesus as a myth, have you guys checked Richard Carrier? I find him particularly compelling.

"Just kill them all. The Lord will sort them out" -Cesáreo de Heisterbach-
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Catharina de Aragon's post
13-12-2017, 04:23 PM
(13-12-2017 03:04 PM)Catharina de Aragon Wrote:  And who can dislike the idea of telling on Jesus to his mom? Tongue

About jesus as a myth, have you guys checked Richard Carrier? I find him particularly compelling.

We pray to St. Richard ... regularly. Thumbsup
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-12-2017, 04:39 PM
(13-12-2017 03:04 PM)Catharina de Aragon Wrote:  I'd argue that the " male based values" was more of an economic+demographic thing than a religious one (initially). Granted, religion did help like crazy, but I suspect it was just the usual "moving close to those who have a bit of leverage and helping solidify it, and then growing enough by parasiting on that group to actually impose its values" than an imposition from the start. (I don't know much about it though, so please double check this)
...And c'mon! Mundane? Mary and the Saints are the best part of Catholicism! Not only because they are as pagan as one can get, but because they all come with a "I trust on ascended humans because, after looking around, I have the unspoken suspicion that God is either an idiot or a complete asshole" written on them.

And who can dislike the idea of telling on Jesus to his mom? Tongue

"Jesus of Jerusalem! Come here this instant! A lovely lady told me you want to send her very nice husband to hell! What is this nonsense?"
"But Mom! He earned it!"
"Really? What did the poor old guy do, mind you?"
"Well, he was kinda sining a lot, and stuff, and he was mean to me! And this one time..."
"Were they sorry?"
"Well...Yeah... Kind of, but..."
"Then that is it! "
"But they died without confession!"
"Oh, yeah? And whose's fault is that?Hm?"
"But Mom...!"
"No but Mom! Do I need to put you on my knee again!"
"Mom! I'm thirty three!WTF! I'm eternal"
"Yeah? Well, then you should start acting your age and stop picking on little kids!"

Yes. There are many videos of Carrier discussing the Jesus myth and his name comes up a lot on TTA. I lean more towards a legend rather than a myth but I don't argue against the myth either because it's no skin off my back if Jesus was mythical. I just know magical people don't exist, that is until stories about them are told and embellished over time. Then women magically have virgin births and their offspring walks on water. Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-12-2017, 11:15 PM
Yes, Carrier was the one who first opened my eyes to the glaring problems with Jesus.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
14-12-2017, 07:41 AM
(10-12-2017 05:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I stumbled onto a debate going on in the Reddit 'debate a Christian' section titled "There was no Mary". The question being posed is if Jesus didn't exist, as many atheists think, then it follows that Mary didn't exist either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateAChristia...s_no_mary/

So, being kinda lazy and not very original today I thought I'd pose the same question here.

Popcorn

I'll just posit that if she was a virgin, in that day and age, I don't think she was much to look at.
Just saying.
Finding 3 wise men and a virgin must have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
14-12-2017, 07:46 AM
(14-12-2017 07:41 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 05:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I stumbled onto a debate going on in the Reddit 'debate a Christian' section titled "There was no Mary". The question being posed is if Jesus didn't exist, as many atheists think, then it follows that Mary didn't exist either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateAChristia...s_no_mary/

So, being kinda lazy and not very original today I thought I'd pose the same question here.

Popcorn

I'll just posit that if she was a virgin, in that day and age, I don't think she was much to look at.
Just saying.
Finding 3 wise men and a virgin must have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Sorry to have to correct you. But there were 4 Wise Men. The 4th brought fruitcake. They kicked him out.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-12-2017, 07:48 AM
(14-12-2017 07:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Sorry to have to correct you. But there were 4 Wise Men. The 4th brought fruitcake. They kicked him out.

So they really were wise!

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
14-12-2017, 08:35 AM
They can't be that wise if they let some dude write about how they were hanging around this 12 year old.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
14-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Vaguely on topic....

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post