Did Nagasaki and Hiroshima save the world from a Nuclear War?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
RE: Did Nagasaki and Hiroshima save the world from a Nuclear War?
(11-03-2012 11:25 AM)Dunhill808 Wrote:  
(11-03-2012 11:07 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I don't believe that dropping the bombs was primarily about ending the war or saving lives. Japan wasn't far from finished anyway, the dropping of the bomb was premature at best and total overkill at worst, the dropping of two was just plain ridiculous.

I think the actual reason it was dropped in the circumstances was because the Americans wanted to test it's effectiveness. I also find it a bit of a co-incidence that America dropped two bombs and as far as I know they both had different cores. Almost as though they wanted to see which was most effective.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

The rational behind dropping the second bomb was that the US believed that the Japanese Generals would see the first bomb as a one off, and pass it off to the the Emperor as being far less costly than it actually was. They dropped the second bomb to make the fact that the US had such a capability unavoidable to the Emperor and the civilian populace. They further augmented this strategy by preemptively spreading disinformation that the US had about a hundred bombs and could drop one every three days for the next year, exactly why the second bomb was dropped three days after the first. In reality they only had the two. Basically it was the single most deadly deception campaign ever devised.

If it wasn't for the soul crushing cost of life, it would actually be pretty fucking impressive.

I'm inclined to agree with Hughsie, especially with it being overkill. We could say that the civilian population was ready to take up arms, but it's a matter of if they would actually take up arms. We went to Afghanistan and not many people took up arms at first... but then we started being ruthless and bombing the homes of their families destroying their property, in some cases murdering their loved ones. (not acting out of defense, purely murder) so would the Japanese really take up arms? Some probably would yes, 10 million... unlikely.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Remember that it took an entire two bombs for the Japanese to surrender in the first place.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
13-03-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't believe in atomic bombs, they were never used on Japan. There are no evidence to support it an all the material we saw was just a fabrication so that we all fear the mighty Americans. The Japanese surrendered when the USA Navy sinked the Yamato battleship, not because of some stupid non-existing bombs. How can anyone be so stupid to believe that only 2 bombs can end the war?

P.S.

TheArcticSage, do you see how retarded I sound? Reminds you on anything?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
13-03-2012, 05:08 PM
The americans knew of the power of the atom bomb..... they just wanted to test those bad boys on real people I am thinking.

If it wasnt Japan it would of been somewhere else Sad

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-03-2012, 07:18 PM
(10-03-2012 05:36 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Had the nuclear bomb never been used in World War II do you think it possible that both participants in the Cold War would have been less reluctant to resort to nuclear weapons?

Nothing can justify what happened at Nagasaki or Hiroshima, no excuses can be made. The sins of the few can not be forgiven, but the loss of many may have been the salvation of everyone.

The last time I seriously thought about the nuclear bombing, I was a Roman Catholic, I thought the means justified, and those who died would go to heaven.

Now, I'm an atheist, the means will never be justified, but the victims could be the saviors of all humanity. I only hope they found peace. Forget the Japanese internment camps that brought me to look into Nagasaki and Hiroshima again., they are nothing when compared to this.

First, those were atomic bombs. The nuclear bomb (H-bomb) wasn't invented for a few more years.
Second, those bombings brought the war with Japan to an end and saved hundreds of thousands of lives - Japanese and Allied.
Third, more people were killed in one non-atomic bombing of Tokyo than either one of those A-bombs killed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-03-2012, 03:22 AM
anyone that thinks that if hitler would have won ww2 they would have ruled the world with japan, is fooling themselves. hitler didnt like short black haired brown people with funny eyes. last i checked he wanted white people with blue eyes. if hitler wins and gets a nuke, he wipes out japan really quick. japan was a keep your enemies closer type of a deal during the war. trust me. he had plans much bigger than anyone could ever imagine.
15-03-2012, 09:29 AM
(15-03-2012 03:22 AM)satan69 Wrote:  anyone that thinks that if hitler would have won ww2 they would have ruled the world with japan, is fooling themselves. hitler didnt like short black haired brown people with funny eyes. last i checked he wanted white people with blue eyes. if hitler wins and gets a nuke, he wipes out japan really quick. japan was a keep your enemies closer type of a deal during the war. trust me. he had plans much bigger than anyone could ever imagine.

Regarding the Japanese, while I am glad they did not win the war on the account of the atrocities they committed I have my doubts that the people of the Soviet Union would have fared better under it's leadership. If you don't know about Unit 731 I suggest you keep it that way.
15-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Now hold on a sec here, how can you believe that this unit existed and did all those monstrosities, yet you think that the Germans gave their prisoners orgasms? And shows, pianos, food, not-gas-showers...??

You're freaky...

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
15-03-2012, 03:31 PM
(15-03-2012 02:15 PM)Filox Wrote:  Now hold on a sec here, how can you believe that this unit existed and did all those monstrosities, yet you think that the Germans gave their prisoners orgasms? And shows, pianos, food, not-gas-showers...??

You're freaky...

Smile

Unit 731 did very gruesome things, things which I will not share with here. The Japanese procured a lot of medical research testing on human subjects, at the end of the war the united states would not prosecute these 'scientists/doctors' on the terms that they were to hand over all medical related data they had discovered over the years.
15-03-2012, 03:59 PM
I know, I've read it, it is horrible and the USA is horrible as well, but what makes you believe in that part of WW2 history, yet you do not believe that the Germans intended to kill so many people on purpose, it was Typhus mostly, not Germans... What makes you think that this unit is not made up just for making the Japanese look like animals, even worst that Hitler, only for the Asia, not Europe part of the world?!

I finally got you in a logical loop, no escaping this one, my friend.

Hamata, now, get him!

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  CSICOP open letter? - Subtle world hypothesis Luminon 44 1,489 31-10-2013 04:51 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  the end of the world Drunkin Druid 29 1,188 21-12-2012 08:34 PM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of The World by Niall Ferguson Grassy Knoll 16 1,032 29-09-2012 06:16 AM
Last Post: Humakt
  Apocalypse Never: Earliest Mayan Calendar Found, World Not Ending Quidsane 16 1,699 28-06-2012 10:17 PM
Last Post: andrew stockton
  Do you believe in the New World Order? JoesphStalinCommunism 22 2,867 04-04-2012 01:54 PM
Last Post: ThePolymath
  End of the world!... again UnderTheMicroscope 34 2,246 28-10-2011 05:17 AM
Last Post: UnderTheMicroscope