Did Roger or Francis Bacon Really Discover The Scientific Method ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2011, 04:56 PM
RE: Did Roger or Francis Bacon Really Discover The Scientific Method ?
(17-12-2011 11:45 AM)AbdelZ Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 11:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 09:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 08:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dunno know why people just don't walk away once ad hominem is introduced. The debate is over, no further rational discourse is possible. ... But I guess a tempest in a teapot can be entertaining. I mean I found it fun.

Good point, but I certainly like to give someone a chance to calm down and recognize the error of his ways. But this guy seems off the deep end.

I think AbdelZ has something useful to say, but right now he's too preoccupied with being an asshole to convey it.

See the context of this silly childish unproductive thing that moron started :

read what i said to him first ; he's the one acting like an asshole really: he does not listen to what people have to say , he just want them to act & think the way he wants them to , silly really

He's the one who needs to grow up & have a life , so a spoiled brat is he

Wow. just, wow.

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Azaraith's post
17-12-2011, 05:06 PM
(17-12-2011 04:56 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  See the context of this silly childish unproductive thing that moron started :

read what i said to him first ; he's the one acting like an asshole really: he does not listen to what people have to say , he just want them to act & think the way he wants them to , silly really

Oozing, no - gushing, unintended irony.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-12-2011, 08:59 PM
(17-12-2011 11:45 AM)AbdelZ Wrote:  He's the one who needs to grow up & have a life , so a spoiled brat is he

Way to make my point. Goddam dude, doesn't it get tiresome being a prick.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Hello. I can't for the life of me understand why this thread continues. Since everyone seems to be enjoying it I will leave it open. Though I must urge that those seeking rational debate look elsewhere. I have read this entire thread (and it was a chore) and came to the conclusion that abdelz either has no idea what he's talking about or he must be here to troll. Either way no one has or is going to get to him as he has clearly closed to door to conversation if indeed it was ever open to begin with. Which I doubt.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
18-12-2011, 12:23 AM
(17-12-2011 09:31 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
Hello. I can't for the life of me understand why this thread continues. Since everyone seems to be enjoying it I will leave it open. Though I must urge that those seeking rational debate look elsewhere. I have read this entire thread (and it was a chore) and came to the conclusion that abdelz either has no idea what he's talking about or he must be here to troll. Either way no one has or is going to get to him as he has clearly closed to door to conversation if indeed it was ever open to begin with. Which I doubt.

Actually if you read the other NLP thread he seems capable of having an OK conversation. I think just this thread got a bit out of control - he came across *really* abrasive right at the beginning, defensive when challenged... AbdelZ, if you stop insulting people we might even like you Wink I must say I do find it amusing, I thought the only people capable of stringing together so many derogatory adjectives were politicians Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-12-2011, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2011 12:25 PM by AbdelZ.)
(18-12-2011 12:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Actually if you read the other NLP thread he seems capable of having an OK conversation. I think just this thread got a bit out of control - he came across *really* abrasive right at the beginning, defensive when challenged... AbdelZ, if you stop insulting people we might even like you Wink I must say I do find it amusing, I thought the only people capable of stringing together so many derogatory adjectives were politicians Smile

thank you very much , buddy , for your fair & balanced judgement

I notice everytime how post-modernism was so right about stating & proving the fact that objectivity in the absolute sense does not exist , not even at the level of exact sciences , let alone elsewhere

Besides:

See who started the whole silly thing

I am here for serious discussions really, for some fun, for some inspirations, insights , perspectives

I already stated many times that i think that all beliefs thus , all cultures, all thoughtstreams including the atheistic ones do have some elements of truth , to some extent at least ,, that's 1 of the reasons why i am here actually, to be honest

It's just that some people here & elsewhere have the "talent " ,bad habit , character , bad attitude or whatever to spoil everything for everybody while i made it cristal -clear & repeatedly that i just placed this thread in order to incite people to initiate their own inquiry on the matter because addressing the many issues of this topic would cost me really too much time i cannot afford to waste otherwise , so

Thanks, appreciate

Have a nice day , evening , morning , night ...depending on your time zone

Well, since you are obviously so rational , why don't you give the example here by starting to engage the issues presented by this topic for a change

Note that reason , logic , empiricism are not the only sources of knowledge , feeling intuition are also as post-modernism & islam had shown

Besides : you had elevated reason to the level of an absolute a-historic static religion really while reason is subordinate to intuitive insights or heart as David Hume used to put it or in words to that same effect at least

Once again : I just placed this thread here in order to incite you, guys , to trigger your own research or inquiry on the matter because i do not have time enough to address this topic's issues myself , so

(17-12-2011 08:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-12-2011 11:45 AM)AbdelZ Wrote:  He's the one who needs to grow up & have a life , so a spoiled brat is he

Way to make my point. Goddam dude, doesn't it get tiresome being a prick.

You do seem to honor your nick beautifully , silly biased subjective dude or girl , do not know which for sure

(17-12-2011 04:56 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(17-12-2011 11:45 AM)AbdelZ Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 11:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 09:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 08:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dunno know why people just don't walk away once ad hominem is introduced. The debate is over, no further rational discourse is possible. ... But I guess a tempest in a teapot can be entertaining. I mean I found it fun.

Good point, but I certainly like to give someone a chance to calm down and recognize the error of his ways. But this guy seems off the deep end.

I think AbdelZ has something useful to say, but right now he's too preoccupied with being an asshole to convey it.

See the context of this silly childish unproductive thing that moron started :

Wow. just, wow.

No, you just need to utter baaa like your displayed sheeps
18-12-2011, 12:29 PM
(18-12-2011 12:13 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  I notice everytime how post-modernism was so right about stating & proving the fact that objectivity in the absolute sense does not exist , not even at the level of exact sciences , let alone elsewhere

Well, it's difficult for a scientist to have a meaningful discussion with a post-modernist.
You haven't given us any reason to accept the post-modernist stance.

We see post-modernism as fashionable nonsense.

See: Sokal et al.

18-12-2011, 12:40 PM
(18-12-2011 12:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-12-2011 12:13 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  I notice everytime how post-modernism was so right about stating & proving the fact that objectivity in the absolute sense does not exist , not even at the level of exact sciences , let alone elsewhere

Well, it's difficult for a scientist to have a meaningful discussion with a post-modernist.
You haven't given us any reason to accept the post-modernist stance.

We see post-modernism as fashionable nonsense.

See: Sokal et al.

Well, that Sokal's hoax is no real argument you guys keep on mentioning here & everywhere

For your info, many scientists , thinkers , philosophers represent post-modernism nowadays , i can give you many top books tips in that regard :

Just start with this one : a unique one : written by an organic chemist female who had also applied many other things she studied in her book , like quantum theory , quantum mechanics , physics of chemistry , theory of chaos ......the so-called depth psychology of Jung ; a book about the neo-feminism post-modern post-colonial post-phallogocentric ....philosophy of science , epistemology, ethics , logic :

here you go : that can blow your mind as it did to mine :

"Lifting the veil : the feminine face of science " by Linda Jean Shepherd = awesome book jewel
18-12-2011, 12:53 PM
(18-12-2011 12:40 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  Well, that Sokal's hoax is no real argument you guys keep on mentioning here & everywhere

For your info, many scientists , thinkers , philosophers represent post-modernism nowadays , i can give you many top books tips in that regard :

Just start with this one : a unique one : written by an organic chemist female who had also applied many other things she studied in her book , like quantum theory , quantum mechanics , physics of chemistry , theory of chaos ......the so-called depth psychology of Jung ; a book about the neo-feminism post-modern post-colonial post-phallogocentric ....philosophy of science , epistemology, ethics , logic :

here you go : that can blow your mind as it did to mine :

"Lifting the veil : the feminine face of science " by Linda Jean Shepherd = awesome book jewel

"Many scientists ... represent post-modernism nowadays" is a gross exaggeration.
Very few scientists do, and probably no scientists in the physical sciences.

While Linda Jean Shepherd is undoubtedly an intelligent, caring, and committed person, she is no longer engaged in doing science, nor is California Institute of Integral Studies.

Actual, working scientists consider post-modernism to be anti-science.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-12-2011, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2011 04:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-12-2011 12:13 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  You do seem to honor your nick beautifully , silly biased subjective dude or girl , do not know which for sure

Regardless of my gender, you're still a prick with no apparent capacity for realizing that ad hominems don't diminish your arguments, they instantly invalidate them.

Here is a more considered argument for the case our resident mullah is pathetically failing to make. A Defense of Dualism But note that this, like every other argument for dualism to date is untenable.

"This concludes my brief defense of dualism. While I acknowledge that many find the 'hard problem' of causal interaction discredits dualism, I find it more difficult to discard dualism. Likewise, many reject dualism on the grounds that it is inconsistent with scientific materialism. Others may stretch the definition of materialism to include the properties traditionally subsumed under dualism. At the end of the day, however, I find dualism gives the most satisfying account of the phenomena of the mind."

At the end of the day, however, this is every bit as unreasonable as Descartes' appeal to a benevolent God.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.