Did TTA change you, and if so, how?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2014, 09:17 AM
RE: Did TTA change you, and if so, how?
Work in progress. Stay tuned.........

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
19-10-2014, 09:19 AM
I honed my grammar skills to near perfection on TTA. Smartass

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 14 users Like Vosur's post
19-10-2014, 11:20 AM
TTA changed me because I met my best friend on this forum. Not only did I meet one of the most important people in my life here, but I also met an abundance more people who motivated me and helped me make it through some really dark times. A lot of the people here are very special to me for similar reasons. This community can act as a [virtual sometimes-dysfunctional but still loving family] if you're open to such ideas, or even if you need such a place as an outing. Even if you're new, this place will always be a welcoming and caring place. And it definitely won't get boring either.

TTA also helped me open up as a person. It helped me break down a lot of walls I had once built around myself, regarding a fuck ton of topics that are often talked about here. There aren't many boundaries here. People will talk about almost anything you would like to discuss with them, and if you disagree that's absolutely okay. Most people aren't going to dislike you or hold a disagreement against you (here) like they often would (irl) so that's pretty neat.

TTA also changed my perspective of other countries. "Grilled Cheeses" in the UK are called "Cheese Toasties" and I still think that is gay as fuck.
[+] 12 users Like Ferdinand's post
19-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Oh, God yes.

This place is very important to me, as I think it is important to many people here. It was an escape. It was a place I could go where I wasn't viewed as 'that atheist kid.' It was a place where no one asked questions like 'Do you worship Satan?' It allowed me to be... Free. Free of the bonds thrust upon me by those who are/were seemingly looking after my well-being. Free from the bullies, the prying questions, the passive-aggressive pity that I occasionally received.

This place allowed me to say what I want, and it assured me that there was nothing wrong in choosing the path of self-discovery, and that questioning everything (even myself a few times) was the best way to evaluate every situation. This place fostered a foster kid. It nurtured that blooming flower that is my (regrettably so) developing mind. It is still shaping it today, coloring the curiosity in shades of science, self-confidence and certainty. I have enjoyed my stay here, and regretted very little in terms of taking the risk, jumping in, and making attachments here.

I could go on, but I actually want people to read what I posted, so I will end my (paradoxically) never-ending praise here.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 14 users Like Atothetheist's post
19-10-2014, 12:47 PM
(19-10-2014 09:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I honed my grammar skills to near perfection on TTA. Smartass

Taint nuthin rong wi' that Angel

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
19-10-2014, 01:30 PM
(19-10-2014 09:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I honed my grammar skills to near perfection on TTA. Smartass

I learned that a young Kraut knows English better than me. ... or is it "than I" ... Huh ... Consider ... Hobo

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Holy cow, this place has changed me in a lot of ways.

I've learned a lot about logical fallacies by reading through debates.

I've learned that I can find one thing in just about every kind of person that I love. Even if I dislike 99% of someone, I can usually still fine that 1% that makes me smile.

I've learned that not everyone who is being an asshole is actually an asshole.

I've learned that no matter what anyone tells you, atheists can be some of the most compassionate, loving, funny, quirky people you will ever meet. We come from all walks of life, hold so many differing opinions and backgrounds.

Also, along the same lines of what Anj was talking about, I can strongly disagree with someone on a subject, heatedly debate with them, then jump into a different thread with that person and be silly with them. I love that I can both laugh and share experiences with someone, and not be afraid to speak my mind to them if we disagree.

I've also learned to not dismiss those younger than me. A lot lf the younger folks here have their lives more together, have more passions and goals than I will ever have. I've been truly impressed.

I've learned that internet friends are real friends, and that I can have love and respect for people I've never even met.

Lots of life lessons from this place. It's why I can't leave, and continue to post here every day. Heart thank you, TTA!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 10 users Like Smercury44's post
19-10-2014, 06:51 PM
(19-10-2014 01:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I learned that a young Kraut knows English better than me. ... or is it "than I" ... Huh ... Consider ... Hobo

"Better than I" is grammatically correct, as it is in full "[he] knows English better than I [do]"; it would, however, be the mark of an extreme pedant to make the correction, since "better than me" is so much more colloquially widespread...
(as such, I'm rather surprised Vosur hadn't commented)

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
19-10-2014, 07:26 PM
TTA has helped me sail my ship through the storm. I have a found an inner peace with the help of so many here. I am incredibly grateful.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
19-10-2014, 08:06 PM
An original question about the forum I have not seen on the forum before! Nice, if I ever get the opportunity to do a "Get to Know A Forum Member" I may use this one if you don't mind.

Yes, it has. I have met some very cool and funny people which have enhanced my life, I must admit. I have found a place to speak with skeptics about topics other than religion, such as philosophy, politics, and just everyday banal stuff. Beforehand I just had to accept that most people were not skeptics. You can learn a lot about yourself from people who have some similarities with you - most often when you disagree.

[+] 7 users Like Dark Light's post