Did a founder of Christianity give it up?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 06:24 AM by EGross.)
Did a founder of Christianity give it up?
Over the years, in different yeshivot, I have heard on occasion a story that Simon Peter had given up on all of this Jesus nonsense and returned back to his Jewish roots, and was the author of some of the Jewish Liturgey that is in use today. Huh

Now, granted, there are odd legends, and sometimes they have a speck of truth in them, and sometimes something more. But given the other legends by Christians concerning the death of St. Peter, I thought it was an interesting juxtuposition. Smartass

Some time ago, the story was found printed in prayerbooks used by the Yemanites as well as in an interesting Midrash that is Yeminite, and the old version of this has been microfilmed (back before they digitized everything). if you are interested click here for a legend that you don't normally hear outside of the yeshivah. Big Grin Make sure to also read the comments below, since the author also adds additional details below.

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EGross's post
12-03-2013, 09:02 AM
RE: Did a founder of Christianity give it up?
Wow! What an amazing find! We know that the Messianics and non-Messianics began to diverge a bit later in the game, after 70 CE and again after 110, so I have no issue with Shimhon Kefa being an observant Jew as well as "the leader of the Nazarene sect". Fascinating post! Thanks!
12-03-2013, 09:45 AM
In all fairness, I'd be as skeptical about something in the obscure Jewish tradition as I would in the bible (or even more so). For example there are also passages of Jesus being the bastard son of a roman soldier named Pantera and many others which often seem more to criticize the christian movement than be actual historical fact.
12-03-2013, 10:11 AM
I think he was supposed to be Greek, but I know what you mean. So can we infer that like Jesus, Peter was a fiction too? Wink

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
12-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Of course Simon Peter (wasn't that two different people, oh nvm) got out... that's how a Ponzi scheme works.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
It's interesting that you're thinking of death legends, on a day that Cracked.com released an article on the same subject. I don't suppose you're a fan of Cracked, eh?

I've always thought the traditional Christian legend (that Peter asked to be crucified upside-down) was silly. Sometimes peoples' death wishes are taken seriously, but I doubt the Romans would go through the trouble of figuring out how to mount a cross upside-down just so Peter could have his wish. It's an even sillier legend if the "cross" was actually a "pole". In either case, I doubt it would work logistically to be mounted with with the lighter parts of your body on the bottom.

From a philosophical viewpoint, I don't think it really matters if Peter "recanted". It wouldn't make Christianity any more or less true. It's an interesting anecdote at best.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
13-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Actually, as a Midrashic source, you can treat it like the "Cracked" of their day (around 800CE or later) - or Mad Magazine back in my day! While they did occasionally mock the Samaritans as well as followers of Roman and Greek religions and their deities as well, once Constantine got in charge, there was really only one religion to go after. Later on, Islam wwas fair game, though!

In the USA, from what I have been told about them, what would Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh do if all of the political parties had the same dogmatic view of the world? Wink Kind of like that. And just as they go after non-existant things, so do many polemical writings.

18-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks for posting this!

I must say, though, I got lost after the first few paragraphs.

The article talks about Peter being a Christian. In reality, if he ever existed, he never was. Same thing can be said about Jesus.

Surely the key feature of Christianity is the belief that Jesus was divine, and that was a concept that as best we know was only first invented by St Paul. Jesus, his family, and his disciples were never Christians. They were Jews.

The article also refers to the Nazarenes as though they were Christians, whereas they were Jews.

The church fathers and even today's Christians often talk about "Jewish Christians." The term is a deliberate misnomer designed to hide the Jewishness of Jesus.

Same thing can be said about Jesus "the Nazarene." The gospel authors invented the town of Nazareth to hide the fact that Jesus belonged to the Nazarene sect. The town of Nazareth didn't even exist until the fourth century.

I'll be very interested to read your comments on this.