Did anyone enjoy going to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Did anyone enjoy going to church?
I always remember church as the one thing I hated about faith while still being in it. It was just so boring and it cut into my weekend. I expect better from God, to be honest; he should be able to keep me entertained for an hour.

I got out of there fairly young, so I'm curious as to whether church being a sleep inducing waste of time is a common opinion, or just the opinion of a 12 year old with a short attention span.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2014, 07:00 AM
RE: Did anyone enjoy going to church?
I enjoyed the "snake" handlers.
Oh wait. Never mind. That was something else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Ohhh man. I loved church most of the time I went. I was super into being a Christian and hearing about god and Jesus and how they loved us. I liked meeting people and being social. liked reading the OT stories, memorizing bible verses, and singing hymns. Singing was always my favorite part of church. Singing with the congregation, I could flip between soprano and alto, try out some tenor... Those hymns were how I learned (taught myself) to hold a note. Now, that's the only part of my church-going days that I remotely miss.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
21-10-2014, 07:35 AM
I liked parts of it, but I seldom enjoyed the whole thing. I was usually glad when it was over, and I cannot remember a single time being disappointed that it ended so soon. Looking back on it, there were a lot of parts about Christianity that I just considered to be necessary inconveniences to be dealt with. A lot of them didn't make sense to me, but I wasn't really interested in getting it to make sense beyond a certain level; it was just something I had to do.
21-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Sunday (or any day) service bored me to death.

These days, I like going into the old churches in Europe when there are no services. The churches used to be the main patrons of architecture and art, and some of these cathedrals are just amazing. It's also nice to step into complete quiet when in the middle of city hustle and bustle...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-10-2014, 07:58 AM
I could hardly wait to go to church as a teenager. But that's only because I was home-schooled and church was really my only social outlet. During the preaching part I was usually anticipating church finally being over so I could talk to people again. I did enjoy the singing though.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
21-10-2014, 08:00 AM
(21-10-2014 07:58 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I could hardly wait to go to church as a teenager. But that's only because I was home-schooled and church was really my only social outlet. During the preaching part I was usually anticipating church finally being over so I could talk to people again. I did enjoy the singing though.

I was homeschooled for a few years, too.. I didn't think of that as a factor Consider

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
21-10-2014, 08:05 AM
I only enjoyed going when I played in the choir. Other than that I found it terribly boring and the sermon often conflicted with my world views, even as a teen.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
21-10-2014, 08:16 AM
I was dragged to Catholic services whenever I couldn't come up with an excuse to not go. Sit, stand, kneel, repeat... droning monotone voice going on and on and on about something that made no sense... sit, stand, kneel.... more droning.... aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lecture_preist --> Bangin --> Sadcryface

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
21-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Never forced to go as a kid, but had my arm twisted for a stretch while in a serious relationshhip and it was dreadful...especially when I partied on Saturday night. I could always feel the phony-ness in the air.