Did anyone enjoy going to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 09:03 AM
RE: Did anyone enjoy going to church?
There was a short period of time during my most religious phase where I could enjoy it, but other than that, it was full of drudgery to get up on Sunday morning and file into the church like a bible-thumping robot.

Towards the end of my church-going days, the church I was in was really bad about going past 12PM. The longer they drug it out, the madder I got, here they were raising their hands and getting all emotional and I was cussing every last one of them for wasting my time, I was hungry and wanted to f'ing eat!. Angry It wasn't long until I quit going.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2014, 09:09 AM
(21-10-2014 06:51 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I always remember church as the one thing I hated about faith while still being in it. It was just so boring and it cut into my weekend. I expect better from God, to be honest; he should be able to keep me entertained for an hour.

I got out of there fairly young, so I'm curious as to whether church being a sleep inducing waste of time is a common opinion, or just the opinion of a 12 year old with a short attention span.

I like going to church even though I am very suspect of the religion.
21-10-2014, 09:10 AM
(21-10-2014 08:49 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  LOL that's hilarious about the one person clapping. Clapping was actually frowned upon at my church because they thought clapping your hands wasn't really a form of worship and that it was something you only do at a concert, but not at church. Even though Psalms talks about clapping. But whatever, that's the old testament. Fuck the old testament. Lol Laugh out load

I had a whole bible study one time about "sing and make melody in your heart to The Lord." It was all about how it should be interpreted
sing and -make melody in your heart-
Or
Sing and make melody -in your heart-
The first of which would mean acapella singing only, the second would make instruments ok, since they make melodies.
The church I went to decided on the "safe" route, just in case pianos were evil.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
21-10-2014, 09:12 AM
(21-10-2014 08:40 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I went forward partly because I believed and partly because I wanted to drink the grape juice they passed around every Sunday morning.

I never liked the taste of the grape juice. I just got a stale cracker.

I remember getting my hands on one earlier than I was supposed to (maybe six years old) and thinking it tasted so bad I pulled it out of my mouth and handed it to a parent right in front of the priest.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
21-10-2014, 09:16 AM
(21-10-2014 09:12 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 08:40 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I went forward partly because I believed and partly because I wanted to drink the grape juice they passed around every Sunday morning.

I never liked the taste of the grape juice. I just got a stale cracker.

I remember getting my hands on one earlier than I was supposed to (maybe six years old) and thinking it tasted so bad I pulled it out of my mouth and handed it to a parent right in front of the priest.

Lol I bet the parents were embarrassed!

We had a few different kinds.. One from a box that was literally a saltless saltine cracker, one that was slightly perforated semi-shortbread, and a few that were home made by ladies of the church. One was quite salty but there was one that one lady made that was sweet and delicious! I always made sure to take a big chunk of that one to hold me over til lunch Yes

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
21-10-2014, 09:18 AM
(21-10-2014 09:10 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 08:49 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  

I had a whole bible study one time about "sing and make melody in your heart to The Lord." It was all about how it should be interpreted
sing and -make melody in your heart-
Or
Sing and make melody -in your heart-
The first of which would mean acapella singing only, the second would make instruments ok, since they make melodies.
The church I went to decided on the "safe" route, just in case pianos were evil.

Better safe than sorry, I guess. Lol

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
21-10-2014, 03:33 PM
I did not enjoy church but I guess I can understand it if you had bought in especially at an early age. To be honest I really thought everyone was full of shit and just going through the motions so I didn't see the point in doing that.
21-10-2014, 03:41 PM
I liked the incense; wearing gloves, with my veil.

It was like dress up.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-10-2014, 03:45 PM
When I was a kid, I was bored to death and had to fight to keep from nodding off half the time. Then, at about age 17 or so when I took more of an interest in religion, I didn't mind it as much. That quickly progressed to my going to church daily because I was masochistic was all in for Jesus at that time. From what I recall (about 30 years in the past now), I did enjoy going then because I believed it was very important and was the "right" thing to be doing.

I do remember clearly though, when my faith evaporated, I was very happy to have my Sunday mornings freed up to do other things. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
21-10-2014, 03:52 PM
I used to sneak off to a Presbyterian Church, not too far away, cuz the Pastor was/is known as one of THE best public speakers in the country, (and they had really good music). Prebys don't kneel or jump up and down, or fool around. They just sit, (pretty sedately). Anyway he was very very liberal, his church is one of the wealthiest congregations in the US, so his job was a "plumb" one, and if he was a secret atheist, I wouldn't have been surprised at all. He NEVER ranted or did the "fire and brimstone" shit. He was tall, elegant and VERY intimidating, but not patronizing. His sermons were (seriously) literary works of art, all by themselves, which he worked on very carefully. He usually had something actually interesting to say, usually about something "sort of spiritual related" (in a "humanist/literary" vein), but the way he did it was just fascinating to watch. (Guess ya had to be there .. he soon retired to his ranch in Montana .. or some such thing).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.