Did anyone enjoy going to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 04:16 PM
RE: Did anyone enjoy going to church?
I was always bored and anxious we wouldn't get home in time to watch the kickoff.

Once a new priest was assigned to our church, a manly looking guy, ripping with muscles with a deep baritone voice to boot. My dad held him up as an example that manly men could love Jesus too. I was into my bodybuilding years so for a while going to mass wasn't as horrible.

Within a year Father O'Connor left the priesthood after announcing that he could not reconcile being a priest and being gay. My dad never mentioned his name again.

Sometime after that we got a new priest named Father Castellanos, very charismatic. He started a youth group that I attended on Fridays. We prayed a bit, discussed life and then we would all go out to a restaurant to eat.

My mom and dad took to this new guy and were all happy I was going to the youth meetings. He even talked to my parents about what a good priest I would make and my parents wanted me to consider this option seriously.

Years later he even got his own TV show and not long after that accusations surfaced that he had sexually molested altar boys. My younger brothers had been altar boys during his tenure and I was horrified when I found out! They said nothing ever happened and that kept me from killing him. To this day I am convinced that I woud have.

Ah, the memories Rolleyes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-10-2014, 04:26 PM
(21-10-2014 09:12 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I just got a stale cracker.

I remember getting my hands on one earlier than I was supposed to (maybe six years old) and thinking it tasted so bad I pulled it out of my mouth and handed it to a parent right in front of the priest.

We had "wafers", and they definitely weren't crackers. They tasted like paper and the priest, who I thought at the time had to be something like 800 years old, always managed to stick his thumb on your tongue when he was putting it in your mouth.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-10-2014, 04:36 PM
As a kid I had the 'pleasure' of Catholic masses in Latin. A full hour of of the Papal Hokey Pokey and didn't understand most of what was said. Not that it was all that much better after switching away from Latin.

The church I attended the longest was beautiful so there was wonderful art work to look at and the choir and pipe organ were amazing. Helped to ease the pain a little.

Saying that I enjoyed it would be a stretch.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
21-10-2014, 04:40 PM
(21-10-2014 04:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  We had "wafers", and they definitely weren't crackers. They tasted like paper and the priest, who I thought at the time had to be something like 800 years old, always managed to stick his thumb on your tongue when he was putting it in your mouth.

Rainbow Vomit

That's fucking gross

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
21-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Mostly no, there was a few glancing times I was enjoying going for the youth group social aspects, but nothing beyond a couple of brief moments.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-10-2014, 04:13 AM
(21-10-2014 06:51 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I always remember church as the one thing I hated about faith while still being in it. It was just so boring and it cut into my weekend. I expect better from God, to be honest; he should be able to keep me entertained for an hour.

I got out of there fairly young, so I'm curious as to whether church being a sleep inducing waste of time is a common opinion, or just the opinion of a 12 year old with a short attention span.

Like the rest of Denmark I only go when family members or close friends get married, baptized and buried - and occasionally once at Christmas.

I enjoy it, even though it's not my religion, and I see it primarily as a family occasion (as do the rest of Denmark except for the darker parts of the Jutlandic west coast).
Also it usually ends in some kind of party involving drink, so...
22-10-2014, 04:33 AM
I hated going to church, but thats probably because I had to go 3 - 5 times per week! Also the church services were almost always long and boring, many times I would get to church around 8AM and Sunday and not leave until 9 PM the same day because of back to back long services.
22-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Yes, ish, but only so far as the novelty factor went. It's not like my parents explained much of the context to me on the rare occasions we couldn't avoid it, so the pageantry of it was interesting, in a way.

... this is my signature!