Did anyone here consider/convert to another faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Just curious is anyone on here ever seriously considered or actually converted to another faith tradition before becoming an atheist? I can say that I never did, grew up Catholic and when i found my way out all the other major religions just seemed so obviously false.

If you did consider another I'd love to hear about it and what your thought process was.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2016, 09:33 PM
RE: Did anyone here consider/convert to another faith?
Nope, not even close. I may not have gotten straight As in high school, but after high school, I did go "straight A." Smartass

I know, that was a horrible pun, I apologize. Weeping

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
02-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Yup. From an originally neutral position, I toyed with the idea of joining the CofE flock.

Mainly it was due to the years of regular church / Sunday school attendance and seeing my peers go through various rituals like Confirmation. I didn't feel part of it but I was curious to know what it was like to feel part of it.

So at the age of 9, on my birthday, I was Christened... me and a few new-borns. I got some presents from my new god-parents and that was kinda all that happened. No epiphanies or bright lights or voices in my head or choirs of angels singing "Hallelujah!".

Less than a year later I'd decided that being an outsider was more my natural state. I still attended churchy things including some great camp/trips in the hot Derbyshire summers of the 70s where I did some coming-of-age stuff (Ah! Michelle, my belle) and picked up some social skills but accumulated no belief-system.

It appears that "I am so made that I cannot believe."

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-03-2016, 01:16 AM
Never. Religion has nothing of value to offer. My opinion is that one can only loose by adhering to religious tenets.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-03-2016, 04:15 AM
(02-03-2016 09:28 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Just curious is anyone on here ever seriously considered or actually converted to another faith tradition before becoming an atheist? I can say that I never did, grew up Catholic and when i found my way out all the other major religions just seemed so obviously false.

If you did consider another I'd love to hear about it and what your thought process was.

How many forms of atheism are there, ffs?Smile

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
03-03-2016, 05:30 AM
I'm prepared to feign conversion if necessity, but more as a strategic contingency in the event of economic or political collapse, not because I have any hint of belief.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-03-2016, 05:32 AM
(03-03-2016 05:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm prepared to feign conversion if necessity, but more as a strategic contingency in the event of economic or political collapse, not because I have any hint of belief.

That deserves Rep.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
03-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Nope never considered it. Not even once. I can't go back to fantasy world.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
03-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. The other day I saw a YouTube vid of a guy that was a Christian but now a Muslim debate a former Muslim now Christian. Part of me found this absolutely ridiculous but kind of fascinating at the same time.

I think the fact that most people never consider another faith is indication that religion really is just part the culture you grew up in and part indoctrination.
[+] 1 user Likes Rkane819's post
03-03-2016, 06:52 AM
Yes. I used to be a Wiccan before I became what I am today. Not religious. I was playing with the idea of going back to Wicca but I don't want that and I don't see myself as a Wiccan any time soon.