Did anyone here consider/convert to another faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 12:12 PM
RE: Did anyone here consider/convert to another faith?
Yeah in the first few years of college I was into some occasional pagan/wiccan ideas then Buddhist/Tao ideas for a bit. Though never in the fully believing in a deity element of them. So it didn't take off beyond occasional reading into things I found interesting.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2016, 03:00 PM
I went from Baptist born and raised to Episcopalian for a couple of years in college before embracing agnosticism. Episcopalianism was a fun and gentle exit strategy: great music, 10-minute sermons, free lunch every Sunday, lots of wine, and a priest who hinted that even god might be allegorical. And the Episcopalians didn't stop being friends with me when I stopped believing. Baptists: a whole nother story; they are quite the ostracizers.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
03-03-2016, 03:32 PM
(02-03-2016 09:28 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Just curious is anyone on here ever seriously considered or actually converted to another faith tradition before becoming an atheist? I can say that I never did, grew up Catholic and when i found my way out all the other major religions just seemed so obviously false.

If you did consider another I'd love to hear about it and what your thought process was.

I had a brief flirtation with deism, but I realized there was just as much evidence for a generic creator god as there was for the Christian god, so that was that.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Might've briefly considered it when I realized that other people actually (like, really, truly) believed the stuff. I mean, they must have had some good reason, right? Surprise! It turns out they totally didn't. And little boy cjlr moved on with his life.

... this is my signature!
03-03-2016, 03:40 PM
I tried Christianity on for size. My brief experience there continues to fuel my rage to this day and has served as the driving force for my counter-missionary efforts.

.... nice people, but horrible, horrible religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
03-03-2016, 03:41 PM
(03-03-2016 03:40 PM)Aliza Wrote:  .... nice people, but horrible, horrible religion.

You know that describes, er, all of them... right?
Tongue

... this is my signature!
03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
(03-03-2016 11:30 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm considering Judaism. They have cool hats, don't shave and have braided sideburns. I wanna be a Mekubbal.

I hope you're already circumcised.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
(03-03-2016 03:41 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 03:40 PM)Aliza Wrote:  .... nice people, but horrible, horrible religion.

You know that describes, er, all of them... right?
Tongue

Meh. I'm going back to flirting with DLJ. Drinking Beverage
03-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Once I stopped being a Christian at 12 years old I briefly studied Buddhism but found I still couldn't say that reincarnation is real or that karma exists but it's a much more moral and understandable religion than Christianity, Hinduism, etc. No religion is perfect but as far as humanist ideals I think Buddhism comes close since they are Atheist anyway but they focus a lot on the respect of life and that we are all on a journey to become our best selves. Nothing about being born broken but that's ok someone was brutally killed thousands of years ago so it's all good now.
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
03-03-2016, 05:21 PM
[Image: revbone01.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.