Did mammals evolve from rodents?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Did mammals evolve from rodents?
? what are the big differences between rodents and mammals other than size?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Did mammals evolve from rodents?
Rodents ARE mammals...

Facepalm

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 11 users Like CiderThinker's post
05-09-2014, 05:33 PM
From Wikipedia.

Rodents are mammals of the order Rodentia, characterized by a single pair of continuously growing incisors in each of the upper and lower jaws. The name is derived from the Latin rōdere, to gnaw. About forty percent of all mammal species are rodents, and they are found in vast numbers on all continents except Antarctica. They are the most diversified mammalian clade and can be found in a variety of terrestrial habitats, including human-made environments. There are species that are arboreal, fossorial, and even semi-aquatic. Well known rodents include mice, rats, squirrels, prairie dogs, porcupines, beavers, guinea pigs, and hamsters, but rabbits, hares and pikas, which could be confused with rodents and were once included with them, are now considered to be in a separate order, Lagomorpha.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Shit!
that feeling you get when you realize u r vermin Sad
05-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Seeing as rodents appeared in the Paleocene and the first mammals were found in the Triassic, saying rodents evolved into mammals would have been falsified years ago.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
05-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Mammals are all related of course, but as far as primates scientist are saying our earliest ancestors were tree monkeys. Before that though I don't know. Rodents would have been more distant relatives. We are related to rodents because they are mammals but where in evolution that connection is I don't personally know.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2014, 07:15 PM
(05-09-2014 06:25 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Mammals are all related of course, but as far as primates scientist are saying our earliest ancestors were tree monkeys. Before that though I don't know. Rodents would have been more distant relatives. We are related to rodents because they are mammals but where in evolution that connection is I don't personally know.

I don't think so. It was earlier than that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2014, 07:55 PM
(05-09-2014 07:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 06:25 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Mammals are all related of course, but as far as primates scientist are saying our earliest ancestors were tree monkeys. Before that though I don't know. Rodents would have been more distant relatives. We are related to rodents because they are mammals but where in evolution that connection is I don't personally know.

I don't think so. It was earlier than that.

Starting at Puragatorius

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-09-2014, 08:08 PM
I guess what I was trying to get at was were our ancestors rodents?
05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
(05-09-2014 08:08 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I guess what I was trying to get at was were our ancestors rodents?

Google evolutionary tree.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller