Did the bible predict a messiah?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Did the bible predict a messiah?
The idea of a messiah seems to have arisen out of Jewish legends. If we're going to stick to the bible - since Christians say that's all that counts. Where exactly does it say (in the OT) a savior will come? The closest thing I can remember is something about Moses saying someone greater then him would come. Although that sounds a little vague and Jesus certainly wasn't greater then Moses. Moses parted the red sea while Jesus did cheap parlor tricks like turning water into wine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 11:36 AM
RE: Did the bible predict a messiah?
No it doesn't. Most of the passages christians believe (and stretch) were written about that time and not some future use. Jewish people have a long standing thing about prophesy being a terribly bad thing.

That said, there are passages that reveal to Jews how they'll recognize the "messiah" and the one called jesus didn't begin to crack the code on those.

Also, it's important to note, a virgin birth or location wasn't required for the "messiah".

In other words, there's a very good reason why the Jewish people don't believe. Smile

Hope that helps.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-01-2015, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 12:56 PM by TheInquisition.)
Jewish scholars are not amused by Christian's attempts to co-opt their religious book to assert that it prophesied about about their false messiah Jesus:

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
06-01-2015, 11:54 AM
What I love most about that video is the hypocrisy.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2015, 12:09 PM
In many places, in many ways, Jewish "wise men" predicted all sorts of things. After the Exile a few Jews in the Apocalyptic sects thought the kingdom would be restored by an EARTHLY king. Read Bart Ehrman's "How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-01-2015, 01:02 PM
It's not that hard to write the correct "facts" for the prophecies to come true when you have the OT right in front of you. Kind of like just copying the answers from the back of a textbook. And they didn't even do a very good job of it.

And as has been said, most if not all of them weren't even prophecies.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
06-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Well the most important requirement was a large left thigh.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
06-01-2015, 01:16 PM
The problem with "does the Bible predict" is that it is more of an anthology than a novel.

living word
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-01-2015, 01:38 PM
(06-01-2015 11:24 AM)thecontemplator Wrote:  The idea of a messiah seems to have arisen out of Jewish legends. If we're going to stick to the bible - since Christians say that's all that counts. Where exactly does it say (in the OT) a savior will come?

Well, messianic beliefs appears to be a component of Judaism, in fact, they have been expressed by numerous OT writers. Here's a link to a Jewish site, listing some of these passages in the OT.

http://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm
06-01-2015, 02:02 PM
(06-01-2015 01:02 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's not that hard to write the correct "facts" for the prophecies to come true when you have the OT right in front of you. Kind of like just copying the answers from the back of a textbook. And they didn't even do a very good job of it.

And as has been said, most if not all of them weren't even prophecies.

And yet the Christians still couldn't get it right.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me