Did the defintion of "atheist' change?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Did the defintion of "atheist' change?
So, I'm an atheist... I know I am, because I have no belief in the supernatural, I have no belief in any deity or god.

I've been getting together with other atheists in organized groups, and I've been "looked" at funny when I admit that I accept what a majority of experts in the field of ancient history accept. Namely, that Jesus was a historical figure. However, he obviously did no supernatural feats, and all they agree on is that he was baptized by John the Baptist, and he was executed under Pontius Pilate.

Can I still call myself an atheist? or is there some other term I should be using... seeing as how I accept that Jesus did exist in history?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 07:17 AM
RE: Did the defintion of "atheist' change?
Is there a purpose to your posting other than trolling? Because it really doesn't seem like it any longer.Drinking Beverage

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-10-2014, 07:18 AM
You should be calling yourself a plagiarist.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-10-2014, 07:26 AM
(09-10-2014 07:17 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Is there a purpose to your posting other than trolling? Because it really doesn't seem like it any longer.Drinking Beverage

no.. I'm serious... what happened to the term? it used to mean just lacking a belief..
09-10-2014, 07:27 AM
(09-10-2014 07:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You should be calling yourself a plagiarist.

you'll have to explain...
09-10-2014, 07:30 AM
(09-10-2014 07:26 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:17 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Is there a purpose to your posting other than trolling? Because it really doesn't seem like it any longer.Drinking Beverage

no.. I'm serious... what happened to the term? it used to mean just lacking a belief..

It also used to mean Christians who don't belief in the Roman Pantheon.. Yes words change and Atheist has changed, in this regard, no! You're a disingenuous communicator so that's why this is an issue for you.

You are your own problem in this scenario.

If your claim that you keep running into atheists arguing jesus is a myth you said yesterday is to be believed now, it's probably because you're behaving in this way your acting here. YOU are bringing up the topic in an arrogant dishonest manner and trying to assert it is definitive... That's going to get backlash and probably the biggest reason why you are finding many atheists in disagreement with you.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
09-10-2014, 07:32 AM
This lying troll needs to be banned under Rule 1 and Rule 5.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Problem is the trial with Pontius pilot is clearly a fabrication, which any person educated in classics can tell you. Pilot was a despot. The Pilot portrayed in the gospels is a fabrication. The person who wrote that never had any encounters with him, or spoke to anyone who did.

All the historical events in the life of Jesus as portrayed by the Gospels DID NOT HAPPEN. And I actually believe there was a historical person at the root of the Jesus myth.
09-10-2014, 07:57 AM
(09-10-2014 07:26 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  

It does just mean that; however, that doesn't mean that other atheists can't disagree with you on any number of subjects, up to and including the historicity of Jesus.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-10-2014, 08:35 AM
(09-10-2014 07:16 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Can I still call myself an atheist? or is there some other term I should be using... seeing as how I accept that Jesus did exist in history?

You can call yourself a ham sandwich if you want to. But yes, you can call yourself an atheist on the basis that you don't believe in God, which is roughly the dictionary definition. Which is not set in stone because language meanings are fluid and change over time.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post