Did the defintion of "atheist' change?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 10:05 PM by RogueWarrior.)
RE: Did the defintion of "atheist' change?
(09-10-2014 07:16 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  So, I'm an atheist... I know I am, because I have no belief in the supernatural, I have no belief in any deity or god.

I've been getting together with other atheists in organized groups, and I've been "looked" at funny when I admit that I accept what a majority of experts in the field of ancient history accept. Namely, that Jesus was a historical figure. However, he obviously did no supernatural feats, and all they agree on is that he was baptized by John the Baptist, and he was executed under Pontius Pilate.

Can I still call myself an atheist? or is there some other term I should be using... seeing as how I accept that Jesus did exist in history?

I will answer as best I can even if you are trolling. I do so because so many of us here are very rude.

Atheism/theism are the 2 possible positions on the following assertion:
There is a supernatural god!

Theists believe this assertion and atheists do not believe this assertion.
If you do not believe the assertion above, regardless of any other beliefs you may have, you are an atheist.

If you believe that historical Jesus existed, that has nothing to with atheism/theism.
There is very limited historical evidence outside of the bible for his existence however but if you believe there is sufficient evidence to believe... have at it.

Personally I give very little fucks because i believe his message(s) are not unique nor did they originate with him. I believe that everything he has purportedly said, was said earlier by someone else.

A few points:
  • Atheism does not mean you do not believe in the supernatural. Many atheists believe in ghosts for example. And some atheists will acknowledge the existence of a tree as someone's god, but a tree without supernatural power is just a tree. Atheism/theism deals with a supernatural god only.
  • Accepting anything because a majority do doesn't make it true. The truth is independent of the number believers, that is why it is so cool.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 04:40 PM
(09-10-2014 07:16 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  So, I'm an atheist... I know I am, because I have no belief in the supernatural, I have no belief in any deity or god.

I've been getting together with other atheists in organized groups, and I've been "looked" at funny when I admit that I accept what a majority of experts in the field of ancient history accept. Namely, that Jesus was a historical figure. However, he obviously did no supernatural feats, and all they agree on is that he was baptized by John the Baptist, and he was executed under Pontius Pilate.

Can I still call myself an atheist? or is there some other term I should be using... seeing as how I accept that Jesus did exist in history?

Yes, you are an atheist. However atheists have a plethora of different views in regards to jesus, as well as other religious topics.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-10-2014, 04:52 PM
(09-10-2014 07:26 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:17 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Is there a purpose to your posting other than trolling? Because it really doesn't seem like it any longer.Drinking Beverage

no.. I'm serious... what happened to the term? it used to mean just lacking a belief..

No it didn't. The meaning is in the fucking word.
A-theist.
Non-theist.
So NOT a theist.
Meaning does not believe in a deity.
It never mean't lack of belief.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post
09-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Accepting a historical Jesus truly has no meaning. Lots of guys in the past have been named Jesus.
It's the same thing as you believing that my uncle Louie exists, except I don't have an uncle Louie.
But there are men out there whose names are Louie and I'm sure some are uncles.

Atheism has nothing to do with whom you believe or do not believe existed in the past, unless you believe those people were gods and a historical "anyone" isn't a god - as far as I know.

So, as an atheist, you can believe all kinds of silly stuff that isn't backed up by evidence, if you so choose.
Just not sure why you would.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-10-2014, 05:00 PM
(09-10-2014 07:16 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Can I still call myself an atheist? or is there some other term I should be using... seeing as how I accept that Jesus did exist in history?

I go with "My Own Personal Jesus", but YMMV.

#sigh
09-10-2014, 05:09 PM
(09-10-2014 05:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I go with "My Own Personal Jesus", but YMMV.

Always kind of liked that one....

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-10-2014, 06:36 AM
(09-10-2014 07:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  I want to ban people who don't agree with me.

^is that what you mean to say?
10-10-2014, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 06:42 AM by anonymous66.)
(09-10-2014 07:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:26 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  no.. I'm serious... what happened to the term? it used to mean just lacking a belief..

It does just mean that; however, that doesn't mean that other atheists can't disagree with you on any number of subjects, up to and including the historicity of Jesus.

What about the DUMBASS atheists (hi Bucky, hi Chas) who try to tell me that I can't be an atheist because I know that a consensus of the experts in the field of ancient history accept that Jesus was a historical figure..

Should I just tell them to FUCK OFF?
10-10-2014, 06:41 AM
(09-10-2014 07:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:26 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  no.. I'm serious... what happened to the term? it used to mean just lacking a belief..

It also used to mean Christians who don't belief in the Roman Pantheon.. Yes words change and Atheist has changed, in this regard, no! You're a disingenuous communicator so that's why this is an issue for you.

You are your own problem in this scenario.

If your claim that you keep running into atheists arguing jesus is a myth you said yesterday is to be believed now, it's probably because you're behaving in this way your acting here. YOU are bringing up the topic in an arrogant dishonest manner and trying to assert it is definitive... That's going to get backlash and probably the biggest reason why you are finding many atheists in disagreement with you.

I grew up in a YEC church.... I don't like seeing the same mentality among atheists (we know our experts are right, even though they disagree with an accepted field of study) that I saw in my YEC church.
10-10-2014, 06:45 AM
(10-10-2014 06:36 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  I want to ban people who don't agree with me.

^is that what you mean to say?

I have honest disagreements with honest people.

You, however, have once again shown your dishonesty.

Do you not understand that making up quotes is dishonest?

How about you stop doing it and apologize to the members of this forum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post