Did the defintion of "atheist' change?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Did the defintion of "atheist' change?
(10-10-2014 09:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 09:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Again. All depends on how it's defined.

I was, unfortunately, the admin during its forceful entry, and had to try and make this subjective rule fit/be enforceable among the other objective rules.

Forceful entry?

And I think you mean 'absolute' or 'well-defined' or something. All rules will be subjective.

I'm guessing that what is meant is a rule that can be objectively applied, where the criteria are clear and there is no judgement involved.

I shudder at the thought.

Yes. Forceful. You know good and well that Rule 5 wasn't devised by me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 09:57 AM
(09-10-2014 07:16 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  So, I'm an atheist... I know I am, because I have no belief in the supernatural, I have no belief in any deity or god.

I've been getting together with other atheists in organized groups, and I've been "looked" at funny when I admit that I accept what a majority of experts in the field of ancient history accept. Namely, that Jesus was a historical figure. However, he obviously did no supernatural feats, and all they agree on is that he was baptized by John the Baptist, and he was executed under Pontius Pilate.

Can I still call myself an atheist? or is there some other term I should be using... seeing as how I accept that Jesus did exist in history?

An atheist does not believe that gods exist. Whether one believes Jesus was a historical figure or not is irrelevant.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
10-10-2014, 11:32 AM
(10-10-2014 08:38 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. It's just an inside joke with Chas to get under his skin. He and I do that to each other.

I had figured it was something like that; I was just making a (probably poor) joke about anonymous66's "argument".

FWIW, I got your joke and enjoyed it.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post