Did water and organic life on earth come from asteroids?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
29-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Did water and organic life on earth come from asteroids?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100428/sc_...0428183222

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2010, 05:47 AM
RE: Did water and organic life on earth come from asteroids?
The article makes really good points. It is a good theory, but there are others. I mean it is possible.
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2010, 07:33 AM
It's possible, yeah, even likely, seeing as how scientists have found asteroids carrying amino acids that would have made abiogenesis a whole lot easier.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2010, 07:48 AM

I think the question is mildly flawed to begin with. It is redundant to question whether or not water on earth came from asteroids; as it undoubtedly did. It is not as though the earth existed, and then stuff landed on it. No, it was bound together due to gravitational forces from matter created by supernovae; i.e. stardust, and its breakdown from there. And considering that ceres alone, a dwarf planet located within the asteroid belt between mars and jupiter holds more fresh water than can be found on earth; it seems almost pointless to speculate as to waters origin. Yes it mostly certainly did form due to the fusion of oxygen and hydrogen molecules, while on earth, just as it formed elsewhere in the universe; however the greater bulk of it undoubtedly came from outside of earths atmosphere.

There we are, my rant is over. >_<

Did organic life come from asteroids? Meh, its certainly plausible, but at the same time the conditions were believed to be conducive to abiogenesis here on earth either way. Which makes such speculation almost impossible to verify.

I personally would say that organic matter certainly did find its way to earths surface, but the greater whole of life on earth, was created here to begin with; due to favorable conditions.
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2010, 10:13 AM
(29-04-2010 07:48 AM)Ceryle Wrote:  I think the question is mildly flawed to begin with. It is redundant to question whether or not water on earth came from asteroids; as it undoubtedly did.

The point was that up until now asteroids weren't known to hold such great quantities of water. It was suspected but not ascertained, as it was largely believed that if asteroids came too close to the Sun the ice would melt and vaporize; so the conclusion is that this asteroid (24 Themis) must have had some sort of inner reserves of water that would replenish the outer coating of ice.

Quote:I personally would say that organic matter certainly did find its way to earths surface, but the greater whole of life on earth, was created here to begin with; due to favorable conditions.

This was also stated in the article:

Quote: While life-giving water and carbon molecules are present on the asteroid, other factors will have discouraged new life forms emerging, Rivkin said.

"The lack of liquid water and an atmosphere, and the presence of very strong ultraviolet light from the Sun -- screened out by our atmosphere -- are all factors we think work against the formation of life," he said.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2010, 10:30 AM

Um...okay?
27-07-2010, 07:20 AM

I watched an interesting show on Discovery a few weeks ago which talked about the origin of water on earth. If I recall correctly they speculated that most of the water on earth was contained in the materials that the earth formed from but a very small portion of it did come from extraterrestrial sources. Even molten rock contains water. When water vapourizes it doesn't disappear, its still there in vapour form (steam) and can be trapped in the rock once it solidifies. Water on earth is made up of a combination of water molecules in a specific ratio to each other. A certain amount of heavier H2O molecules to reg H2O molecules (I can't recall if it was an extra electron on the hydrogen that made it heavier). When they analyzed water contained in samples from an asteroid they found the ratio was different than that found on earth which rendered the theory that most of our water came from comets/asteroids untrue.
27-07-2010, 12:31 PM

it's a theory. just like everything else that happened billions of years ago. who cares how it got here. just be glad it's here since we need it to survive. remember, humans are made of over 50% water. does that mean i came from an asteroid? or uranus? sorry. couldn't resist.
27-07-2010, 12:55 PM

(27-07-2010 12:31 PM)thegirl Wrote:  it's a theory. just like everything else that happened billions of years ago. who cares how it got here. just be glad it's here since we need it to survive. remember, humans are made of over 50% water. does that mean i came from an asteroid? or uranus? sorry. couldn't resist.

I think knowing where the water came from would help in determining the likelyhood of life on other planets, availability of water on other planets or even our own moon among other things. As for life, I personally would be interested in knowing if it sprang up here or was delivered here from somewhere else. I think we are closer to 76% water by the way.
27-07-2010, 02:57 PM

i googled it. you're born consisting of over 70% water, but lose water every year you're alive. men contain more water than women. about a 10 to 15% difference. most adult women are about 55% water. i rounded. i don't think the water "came" from anywhere. it was created from a chemical reaction millions or billions of years ago. it happen by chance. just like the amoebas that flourished in it did. just like us that evolved from those amoebas.