Did you become more empathetic and "moral" after deconverting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Did you become more empathetic and "moral" after deconverting?
It's been my experience that theists have a difficult time understanding the perspectives of people who are considerably different. They're so focused on otherworldly qualities and sin that they don't take the effort to understand the human condition.

So, do you think abandoning these untenable beliefs and opening yourself up to the real world changed your capacity for empathy and morality?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes give me moon rocks's post
30-05-2014, 07:53 AM
RE: Did you become more empathetic and "moral" after deconverting?
I became much more open minded and accepting of other people. A great example would be the homosexual community. I remember being guilt tripped as a kid to not like them and not support businesses who tried to help them. I still regret listening to that.

So in short, yes.

Atir aissom atir imon
30-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Not really. I was from a progressive catholic family, and many of our moral views were fairly liberal. I also grew up till I was 12 in Brooklyn, and was around lots of different people from different backgrounds. Intolerance was just not a thing.

Essentially all my deconverting did was disillusion me to supernatural claims.
30-05-2014, 08:11 AM
For me it was a mixed bag. I was very angry, so I vented off on religious family members who were pious and the hypocrites as well. I was much later free though to stop seeing the world in antagonistic terms of us vs them, though I still feel this antagonism in Atheist circles, just reversed.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
30-05-2014, 09:15 AM
(30-05-2014 07:49 AM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  It's been my experience that theists have a difficult time understanding the perspectives of people who are considerably different. They're so focused on otherworldly qualities and sin that they don't take the effort to understand the human condition.

So, do you think abandoning these untenable beliefs and opening yourself up to the real world changed your capacity for empathy and morality?

No...you just become a better person

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
30-05-2014, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2014 09:27 AM by PeterKA.)
(30-05-2014 07:49 AM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  It's been my experience that theists have a difficult time understanding the perspectives of people who are considerably different. They're so focused on otherworldly qualities and sin that they don't take the effort to understand the human condition.

In the words of oscar wilde..you are an ass (or a handbag). Either way you have wrapped your head around 3 syllables that mean as much meaning as
s a burger kng staff training pamphlet

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
30-05-2014, 09:23 AM
What?
30-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Read a damn book and call me after

30-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Nothing changed for me. I already had the same empathy and morality that I have now. But that was part of what turned me away from religion because religion was telling me things that contradicted my own sense of morality.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-05-2014, 11:52 AM
(30-05-2014 09:26 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  Read a damn book and call me after
So you don't have anything that you want us to understand, huh... Consider

(30-05-2014 09:22 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  ...mean as much meaning...
...as s a...
...kng...
Learn to write/communicate and then post after. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post