Did you become more empathetic and "moral" after deconverting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 12:09 PM
RE: Did you become more empathetic and "moral" after deconverting?
(30-05-2014 11:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Nothing changed for me. I already had the same empathy and morality that I have now. But that was part of what turned me away from religion because religion was telling me things that contradicted my own sense of morality.

same here.
I could never reconcile the way religion was trying to dictate a stance and my own thoughts of right & wrong. Religion always seemed to end up on the 'wrong' side of the fence. (for example- gay marriage bans, misogyny)

but I also wasn't raised in a religious home.....so I never really had to de-convert. I just never converted in the first place.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
30-05-2014, 12:50 PM
(30-05-2014 09:22 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 07:49 AM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  It's been my experience that theists have a difficult time understanding the perspectives of people who are considerably different. They're so focused on otherworldly qualities and sin that they don't take the effort to understand the human condition.

So, do you think abandoning these untenable beliefs and opening yourself up to the real world changed your capacity for empathy and morality?
In the words of oscar wilde..you are an ass (or a handbag). Either way you have wrapped your head around 3 syllables that mean as much meaning as
s a burger kng staff training pamphlet

huh?

(30-05-2014 09:26 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  Read a damn book and call me after

and then again, what?
30-05-2014, 01:32 PM
(30-05-2014 12:09 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 11:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Nothing changed for me. I already had the same empathy and morality that I have now. But that was part of what turned me away from religion because religion was telling me things that contradicted my own sense of morality.

same here.
I could never reconcile the way religion was trying to dictate a stance and my own thoughts of right & wrong. Religion always seemed to end up on the 'wrong' side of the fence. (for example- gay marriage bans, misogyny)

but I also wasn't raised in a religious home.....so I never really had to de-convert. I just never converted in the first place.

Nothing changed for me either. Actually, my empathy and moral code most likely played a role in my de-conversion. I enjoy differences of opinion, cultures, lifestyles, etc. Whereas the bible tells us to "come out among them and be separate", and I didn't want to be separate, or look down my nose at anyone who was different from me.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
30-05-2014, 02:44 PM
(30-05-2014 07:49 AM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  It's been my experience that theists have a difficult time understanding the perspectives of people who are considerably different. They're so focused on otherworldly qualities and sin that they don't take the effort to understand the human condition.

So, do you think abandoning these untenable beliefs and opening yourself up to the real world changed your capacity for empathy and morality?

A little, but not too much.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-05-2014, 03:19 PM
To cut a long story short...I became neither more empathetic nor moral....i became exactly the same, just happier about it.

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
30-05-2014, 03:33 PM
I went from hardline fundy who believed unbelievers' misfortune were largely God's judgement for their sins (or a call to them to repentance and salvation) to much more empathetic and sympathetic.

Yes, it was a massive change for me. I am better and happier for it.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
30-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I think I have changed a lot since my deconvertion. I remember that I used to be a petty narrow minded ignorant man. I used to be against birth control and homosexuality based on the most stupid reasons known to man (AKA you know what I am talking about). I really think that I have become more moral and nice person since then. Actually I can call my self a petty narrow minded LESS ignorant man. Yeah that is it. I feel better using my own set of moral rules.
30-05-2014, 07:07 PM
A little , but overwhelming it was that (op) world view that drove me away from theism, with no peer influence to credit it was purely cause and effect observations that validated an empathetic and secular moral viewpoint, over judgemental arrogance.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
31-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Maybe a little, but like others here part of what drive me away was the church teaching things I thought was wrong. I am definitely less conflicted about what is right and wrong.
31-05-2014, 01:31 PM
(30-05-2014 12:09 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  

same here.

Same with me. I wasn't raised with religion. We were just taught the golden rule and that was all. I think as I've gotten older I've become more epithetic towards others but I think that's just from living life and suffering myself not from any religion.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.