Did you believe in Evolution before you were Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Did you believe in Evolution before you were Atheist?
I did. I believed in Evolution and an Old Earth a good 10 years before I gave up Christianity.

I'm curious, what about you guys?

Thanks.

Julius
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 06:12 PM
RE: Did you believe in Evolution before you were Atheist?
Yes, I think that was partly due to being a kid when dad was in vet school. There was a lot of biology talked about around the house. He partly started his deconversion due to the realization that Noah's Ark was a load of BS.

Once I was learning more and more about science in school, science made much more sense than the fables in the Bible.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude
24-03-2013, 06:16 PM
(24-03-2013 06:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yes, I think that was partly due to being a kid when dad was in vet school. There was a lot of biology talked about around the house. He partly started his deconversion due to the realization that Noah's Ark was a load of BS.

Once I was learning more and more about science in school, science made much more sense than the fables in the Bible.
Yup. I had a set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica and read it voraciously. Even when I was 9 or 10 I thought the things they taught me in Sunday school was a load of crap. Still took me a long time to get rid of all the indoctrination though.

"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder.” ~ Ralph W. Sockman
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
24-03-2013, 06:24 PM
I was so indoctrinated in creationist doctrine and taught to fear even looking into it---I didn't even know anything at all about it until very, very recently....and WOW!!! The whole scientific understanding and everything makes so much sense to me!!! I wish SO much I had known these things all along! It came alongside my understanding of my atheism (and actually helped me get there)--I started watching every Richard Dawkins video and others, reading The Magic of Reality, Why Evolution is True, and am presently reading Climbing Mt. Improbable....and I recently visited the KU Natural History Museum....I feel like a child full of wonder as I learn about all this for the first time. It is beautiful.
[+] 1 user Likes bethiebugs's post
24-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I also spent time with the Encyclopedia Americana...dad's college edition, with a dictionary close at hand. Mom had/has an excellent vocabulary but her response to "what does this mean?" was "look it up".

Some of my earliest memories are watching all the nature/science/animal based shows on The Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with dad.

Greatest way to learn about inherited traits, specifically dominant and recessive genes, happened when my sister wanted rabbits as pets. Dad decided to keep charts on fur color and length, overall size of the rabbit, size and shape of the ears, and other distinguishing things. Course we ended up with tons of bunnies since we had six adults to start.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I've pretty much always been an atheist, but I never "believed in" evolution. I KNEW it was true based on the evidence. Sorry to be a stickler for semantics.
24-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Yes.
Once I made a point to really learn about evolution and its mechanisms, it easily negated any creationist beliefs that I had left. Shortly thereafter I embraced Atheism.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
24-03-2013, 08:28 PM
You know, it's sad to say, but yes. Sad because I always believed in evolution but only because A: it made sense but B: Until I actually started to question shit, I never even thought to put 2 and 2 together and see that there was a conflict between the bible and the theory. It was never brought up to be a problem. Now that I'm a recovering religioholic, it's obvious. Smartass
24-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I grew up in the deep South in the 50's, Evolution was not spoken of. I had doubts as a kid long, long, before I heard of Evolution.
24-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I would prefer the question....
"Did you understand evolution before or if you were ever introduced to the myths of any particular religion" ?

To this question I would answer...
I was introduced to the stories in the bible at an early age. I was never introduced to the idea that people actually believed these fictional stories were true. I grew up with the concepts of god, heaven, hell and the devil. These two characters and two places were referred to in a way that made them seem like they were real.

Evolution, as a theory in science, wasn't mentioned until high school. (1979-1983) : to give some perspective from my age.
Before this time, I never knew that animals changed over time and this is probably due to the idea that my parents didn't know this either.

So basically, I learned what my parents taught me long before I was educated in school.
Without that education, I might still believe in fairy tales.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results