Did you believe in Evolution before you were Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 09:30 PM
RE: Did you believe in Evolution before you were Atheist?
No, I was a fundie. Didn't except anything else in the sciences that conflicted with my religion either. Big Bang, carbon dating, geologic age. None of it. I was as blind as a deaf bat.

Just an outsider looking inn.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Foxcanine1's post
25-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Great question!

I think it was my exploration of science that unraveled my religion. Despite the after school bible study, I would bike to the local library and read there. I read the Tom Swift books a lot which turned me onto technology and science. From there it was an easy deconversion from the Bullshit. In the library I could read whatever I wanted. Finally I remember the big present on one of my birthdays: The Origin of Species. At first I was disappointed in the gift (why not lego or a cool toy or a BB gun?) but I actually read it (as best a 11 or 12 year old could). To this day I still have that book in a place of honor. I was lucky that my religious parents did not force their beliefs on me, it would have been an ugly fight.
25-03-2013, 06:53 AM
(24-03-2013 09:30 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  No, I was a fundie. Didn't except anything else in the sciences that conflicted with my religion either. Big Bang, carbon dating, geologic age. None of it. I was as blind as a deaf bat.

Actually bats can see quite well when light is present. Some can even detect light in the UV range.
Only in the depths of a cave would a deaf bat be blind or in your case, in the depths of a religion without the light of knowledge.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
25-03-2013, 07:41 AM
No.

I accepted the age of the Earth, because the JW's understand (or, maybe only perceive) a time discrepancy in scripture which leaves a stretch of time unspecified, which means the Earth could very-well be 4.6 billion years old. And of course it is. So, there were some scientific truths which I gladly accepted.

However, the Bible was quite clear on how we got here, and to use an old redneck cliche: "Gawd done said I ain't no monkey."

It was actually when I began to look into evolutionary biology that I started to lose my faith in my religious beliefs. The evidence was so overwhelming and undeniable, and it blatantly dismissed the claims of scripture, so I had no choice but to renounce my beliefs. That's what started my long trek to Atheism.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I became atheist before I knew anything about evolution. I was only 10 when I decided the bible was a horrid fairy tale.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Yes, I believed in evolution from the moment it was taught in grade school. I was Catholic and Catholicism has a convenient way of dealing with this as told to me by a Catholic pamphlet that I read on the subject (although I'm not sure many Catholics are aware of this). The pamphlet said that the point of the creation story was not to tell us exactly how God created the world or in how many days, but simply that he created it. The details in the creation story are just unimportant "window dressing". Therefore, evolution could easily be the means by which God created human beings. Today I think they're just tap-dancing to incorporate undeniable science into their faith, but back then it was good enough for me so I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
25-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Yes I did. Never believed the claptrap of a young earth.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Well, I started learning about evolution from a very young age... my Grandpa used to tell me about it. I must have been 4 or 5... but I was already an atheist at that point, so technically no. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
25-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I was thinking of this (kinda) recently.

I remember I was in about my Sophomore year in high school (15 years old?) and that's when I started to really question everything.

One time, it hit me; an epiphany, if you will: I was in my science class and I thought about my teacher. I had this sudden urge to ask him if he believed in God. "How do you think we got here?" But I never asked. I sat there and thought about why teachers can't talk about God in schools. I thought about the fact that the only time they were allowed to is when it was in a religious school.

I asked myself, "Why do they have to be separate? Which one is 'right?' OH MY GOODNESS! The two teachings can't coexist; They pretty much cancel each other out. How does a science teacher teach SCIENCE and evolution if he believes in God??" Such a conundrum; a paradox Blink

I guess I just figured that if the school system won't allow the teaching of creationism in a public school but only in a private one, I'm gonna go ahead and "believe in" evolution Smartass

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
25-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah. I've always believed in evolution. It's the only thing that truly ever made sense to me. (Well....since I was old enough to care about such things)

Especially when compared to Genesis.