Did you believe in Evolution before you were Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 03:46 PM by darthbreezy.)
RE: Did you believe in Evolution before you were Atheist?
Yes, although I went to Catholic school for a year as a child, I was a student in the public school system for the majority of my education and had amazing Earth Science and Biology teachers who were passionate and incredibly intelligent people. When my brother was religious (he's now sort of a pantheist/agnostic/humanist, I don't know, but he used to spend hours a day locked in his room reading the bible and reference books and Max Lucado and evasively answering/avoiding my legitimate questions), he had a harder time accepting evolution and, in particular, the big bang, so my parents went to a Family Christian Bookstore chain and bought him a book on the biblical interpretation of the big bang, which was essentially 200 pages of "god did it" and "god made the big bang happen so just move along, have faith, don't think about it so much." He had been more devout than me, however. I questioned each and every thing my priests and pastors taught me, and easily became interested in evolutionary science very early on. I believe it was the story about the bears devouring children that made my brother finally leave Christianity. While I've only "officially" been an Atheist for about a year, I really stopped believing around eight years ago, when I was about fourteen (and even between ages fourteen and twenty-one, I tried very hard to believe but I just could not justify it). I also stopped believing in Santa when I was really small and as a young child I remember having this feeling that church was kind of bullshit, too. I'm sure Richard Dawkins would say I've always been an Atheist. I don't know.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:50 AM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
25-03-2013, 05:42 PM
(24-03-2013 06:06 PM)Julius Wrote:  I did.

Nope. You didn't.

At the moment of birth, what beliefs did you have?

None.