Did you go to church on 9/11?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Did you go to church on 9/11?
This is a random question that popped in my mind today as I was driving to work. So in September 11, 2001, I recall that the churches were packed. I heard that even atheists were going to church, which might be true. But I was wondering how many of you on this site(Obviously you felt strongly about your beliefs.) went to a church, mosque, or any other religious assembly. If you have any interesting stories feel free to share.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2011, 05:34 PM
RE: Did you go to church on 9/11?
At the time of the first plane crash I was in my church's sanctuary along with my fellow class-mates from Master's Commission. We were all involved in our daily morning prayers. I remember clearly praying fervently and for a long time that day. Obviously I was not an atheist at the time.
Find all posts by this user
30-11-2011, 05:53 PM
No, I was at work. When I went home, I cleaned some guns and inventoried my ammunition.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
30-11-2011, 06:03 PM
No. I remember waking up from a night of sex, alcohol and various other sins. I turned on the news and watched the 2nd tower get hit. Purchashed my first shotgun that day. Been a gun owner ever since.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
30-11-2011, 06:35 PM
We didn't go on 9/11, but that next Sunday I do remember it being packed (and it was a small church). All of the Elders for the church were there to offer support for anyone who was troubled. While none of us had anyone who was killed in the attacks, many of the adults were worried for their loved ones who were stranded or those in the military who would be called to war. The service was long and heated at some points as people wondered why God would allow such a thing to happen to America, and I remember it getting louder when people started suggesting that we were being punished. I was only 11 at the time, but my Dad took my brother and I out of the church as the arguing got more and more intense and spoke to both of us for awhile about what happened.

I think 9/11 was the first time that I had heard about non-Christians (aside from the ones spoken about in the Bible). Before that, I assumed everyone in modern times was Christian, just different denominations. That actually started the process of removing myself from Christianity as I tried to understand why everyone wasn't a Christian, and I eventually learned the word "Atheist".

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
[+] 1 user Likes Glaucus's post
30-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I was in my office which overlooks the Pentagon. Going to church was the last thing on my mind that day.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
30-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Hell no! I avoid church religiously Wink
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
30-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Back when I was a heaven bound preacher, I wasn't at church on 9/11, it was Monday morning and my day off. I remember going to the mall that afternoon and running into a ultra fundy lady that sometimes went to my church. She had been listening to the sagely wisdom of Pat Robertson and wanted to know if I agreed that this was God's wrath being poured out on our sinful nation. I told her no, it was a bunch of radical terrorists who wanted to hurt America for reasons of their own. Come to think of it, I think that's the last time I saw that "wonderful" church lady. Later that week, our Born-Again President asked that churches be open for prayer on, I think, that following Friday night. So I let my church of 250 members know that the doors would be open, no service, just a place for contemplation and prayer, and for those so inclined, ammunition inventorying. Not one single church member came. One family of 5 from the neighborhood wandered in, sat quietly for a while then left. Good times.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I was at a Chinese buffet when the television announced the first plane crash. I replied that it was about time to my mom who was in shock. No I didn't go to church.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-11-2011, 11:11 PM
In ADC-Yuma, the only time synchronicity occurred in programming. I sed, "look, revisionist history in the making;" and didn't pay it no more mind.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post