Did you go to church on 9/11?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2011, 11:26 PM
RE: Did you go to church on 9/11?
No, I was working in Frankfurt Germany and just happened to be watching the news. I saw the second building get hit. I was supposed to be working in Manhattan a week later. The trip was postponed for another week but I finally got there. I was working at about 66th and Broadway and one day maybe 3 weeks after the incident ??, I walked from there down to the tower site or at least to the area where they were allowing people to walk by. I remember thousands of people lined up, all of us about as close together as you can get... everyone was walking absolutely silent. Not one word from anyone. Thousands of people for, I would guess, most of a mile walking totally silent. It was like a funeral but in the middle of the city. I can't say it was like being in church; it was more solemn than that. I've never seen so many strangers on the streets of NY and not a sound. The only word I have for it is surreal. I remember St. Pat's being jammed most of the time but the last thing on my mind was church.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes defacto7's post
30-11-2011, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2011 11:57 PM by Buddy Christ.)
This seems like a convoluted way of asking, "Does fear make you stop pretending to be atheist and turn back to God?"

And no, it doesn't. On 9/11, I didn't even think about church or God, I joined the army. And when I was in Iraq and suicidal religious fanatics fired rockets at me, I didn't pray that my god was stronger than their god, I adjusted my crosshairs and pulled the trigger. And when my mom got cancer, I didn't spend my time praying to a force in the sky, I drove home and spent as much time with her as possible. Likewise, when chemo destroyed the cancer cells and she got better, I didn't thank God, I thanked the doctors.

This is why I respect atheists much more than theists. While theists are on their knees, contributing nothing and accomplishing the same, atheists are actually doing things that matter.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 8 users Like Buddy Christ's post
01-12-2011, 07:56 AM
No. When the whole thing was being plastered all over the news I looked at the time and realized that Dragon Ball Z was on and changed the channel.

Are you surprised, really?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
01-12-2011, 08:35 AM
(30-11-2011 11:30 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This seems like a convoluted way of asking, "Does fear make you stop pretending to be atheist and turn back to God?"

That's just fucking ludicrous. If that is what this OP is about; me and you, BC, we'll be burning some blasphemers at the stake. You in? Big Grin

"Turn back to God" sparked a 2005 flashback. Before August, I pretty much wrote the whole thing off as fiction. In August, it was the "stand before the creator of the universe and accept the title of prophet" business...

And 4 am one fine November morning on my way to work some fine, upstanding citizen informed me his Springfield Arms 1911 told him he could have my shit!

Test Time!
What was my "first concern?" Uh-huh.
What was my "never concern? Uh-huh.

God. pfft. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
(01-12-2011 08:35 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And 4 am one fine November morning on my way to work some fine, upstanding citizen informed me his Springfield Arms 1911 told him he could have my shit!

I always knew that getting up early was hazardous. Thanks for proving me right.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-12-2011, 10:08 AM

(30-11-2011 05:30 PM)Spectre Wrote:  This is a random question that popped in my mind today as I was driving to work. So in September 11, 2001, I recall that the churches were packed. I heard that even atheists were going to church, which might be true. But I was wondering how many of you on this site(Obviously you felt strongly about your beliefs.) went to a church, mosque, or any other religious assembly. If you have any interesting stories feel free to share.

Nope, after the 2nd plane hit. I left a company meeting pronto, went to the elementary schools where my kids were and checked them out and we spent the day ....together...in disbelief at what was happening. I had no idea how FAR these crazie religious kooks would go...so if it were OUR time to go...my kids would not be in a classroom of strangers, but at home with family.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
01-12-2011, 10:26 AM

i was living in Costa Rica... attending a small catholic hight school.

before you read the rest, you have to understand how people from central and south america look at the USA...

nicaraguans have watched the CIA fund death squads that massacred thousands who's only crime was being sick of living in an oligarchy and trying to change it.

the chileans watched american jets bomb their presedential palace and then proceed to murder their democratically elected president (salvador allende... look it up)

cubans watched americans try to overthrow their government to maintain a slave state where the locals where the waiters and whores of rich americans. now they are still being crushed by economic sanctions that are pushed by the very same rich cubans who fled the revolution.

colombians watched america fund an illegal civil war to get panama to secede when they did not agree to build the canal (panama used to be part of colombia... again, look it up)

and that is just off the top of my head...you have to understand that latin america has been raped by the US for over a hundred years now... and the hatred is palpable.

so hopefully now you will forgive me when i say that when we saw 9/11 happening from our tiny little classroom in Costa Rica... we laughed our asses of and were glad that america was finally getting a taste of their own medicine.

once i moved to the states, i started seeing it a *tiny* bit differently, but i still think that 9-11 was simple cause and effect. america is an imperialist bully who has had no problem doing much worse things than 9-11 whenever a country does not grovel at their feet. i feel bad for the people who died, but their governement is to blame, and america really did get exactly what it deserved for almost a century of ruthless and brutal meddling in the affairs of others.

hope you don't hate me now... just trying to explain that tragedy is a very tricky thing... it's awful what happened, but america does much worse on a regular basis... (and those are just the attrocities that we know about) so i have a hard time feeling sorry. it's like mourning german civilians killed when the allies bombed berlin. yes, it's sad that innocent people died, but from the rest of the world's perspective, they really did have it coming.
and no... i did not go to church
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Exactly my feeling Paul. I just wish that when they finally got hit the US would've learned a lesson. They made things worse for the rest of the world after 9/11.

It was a drop in the bucket compared to plenty of much worse atrocities they committed themselves.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-12-2011, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 04:56 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
No, I was in school. In fact, it was a college fair that day, and just before it happened I was considering talking to the Air Force representative/recruiter. After the events of 9/11 popped up on the television though, the recruiter quickly left, and my better judgement told me to let that idea go.

Tbh, the deaths of the people in 9/11 didn't really matter to me, or you.
155,000 people we don't know die every day. That is two people EVERY second! If you actually cared every time someone died, then you would spend your entire life crying.

The actions that followed 9-11 were indeed very poor decisions.
But then again, when did ol' GW ever make a good decision?