Poll: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
Yes, it was part of the required curriculum in primary and/or secondary school.
Yes, in an elective course in primary and/or secondary school.
Yes, but not until post-secondary school. It was required for my major.
Yes, but not until post-secondary school. It was not required for my major.
Only briefly when it was relevant to the course material in primary and/or secondary school.
Not until post-secondary school, but only briefly when it was relevant to the course material.
I had the option in primary and/or secondary school, but never took it.
I only had the option once I got to post-secondary school, but I never took it.
Barely, or not at all.
[Show Results]

Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 06:13 PM by cactus.)
Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
See poll above^
Also, it would be informative to post your continent/country.

I went to school in the US, Bible Belt, and I marked "I had the option in primary and/or secondary school, but never took it."
There was a philosophy class at my high school that covered religious topics, and I remember my dad explicitly telling me he would not let me take it. If I could do it over now, I totally would have, though. lol

We did learn a little bit about religions from a historical perspective in my world history class in high school, and by "religions" I mean only Judaism, Christianity, and Islam; and by "a little bit," I mean like literally all of 10 minutes. Our Crusades lectures only covered names, dates, and places, and completely left out any of the motivations behind any of it. That class was dry as a damn chalkboard, let me tell you.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
23-05-2016, 05:56 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
Yes. And I'm happy I did.

It's probably the class where I most honed my critical-thinking and parody skills.

Of course, Monty Python helped a lot too.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-05-2016, 05:59 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
(23-05-2016 05:51 PM)cactus Wrote:  Poll incoming. Don't you dare try to post yet, goddamit!!! Thanks for your patience Angel

I want to steal your opening line! Big Grin Clap

I tried to take a class in HS on The Bible As Literature, because I was totally ignorant about the bible and wanted to know more about it without the preaching but even though the teacher tried to keep it on the subject as "literature" the evangelicals would not let up. So after the first week, she let the 3 of us who weren't their to praise jebus transfer out. That's my only official education on the bibble. One week. Hobo

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
23-05-2016, 06:09 PM
None at all; I don't even remember any being offered. Religion was something that took up maybe an hour on Sundays when I was very young and I stopped paying any attention long before I was able to stop going. Where I grew up was not very religious so it didn't matter but I wold like to see it offered generally because I think it'd help hasten the demise of religious belief.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-05-2016, 06:13 PM
I took two religious studies classes in college- one was a philosophy of religions- it was an overview of the various contemporary religions. I also took a philosophy class that was an overview of various religious mythologies. I am in the US. I have attended nine different colleges and universities, one was Quincy, a college run by Franciscan monks.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
23-05-2016, 06:23 PM
RE:Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school
I was watching some of the Crash Course Philosophy videos, and the content of those shows blew my fucking mind. I was like, "Seriously? No way are people actually learning this stuff in school." I'm SO jealous of anyone who got to be exposed to concepts like theodicity, epistemology, Pascal's Wager, or even just formal concepts in critical thinking and logical fallacies while they were in school. I had to find all this shit on my own, and I was definitely never even remotely exposed to it in a classroom setting.

23-05-2016, 06:44 PM
I attended a baptist grammar school.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-05-2016, 07:46 PM
No.

I didn't take any classes like this until I got to college.
23-05-2016, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 08:05 PM by cactus.)
RE:Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school
^That would be post-secondary, in case anyone was confused about these generic terms, lol.

I didn't use the word "college", because some high schools confusingly have the word "College" in their titles, and not all colleges are universities. I like the term "grammar school." If I had a kid, I'd totally tell people they went to "grammar school," so everyone might think I'm from someplace cool and hip like Australia Cool

23-05-2016, 08:07 PM
I went to primary school in America and Asia, and secondary school in America.

In no place was I taught religious studies. My school studies were entirely secular -- yes, even in Texas.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post